walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Loyal [Sutherland]

Ben Loyal [Sutherland]

Postby HighlandSC » Thu May 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Route description: Ben Loyal

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Loyal

Date walked: 03/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 853m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Mon 03/05/2010
Hills - Ben Loyal
Route - Standard route, start & finish near Ribigill Farm
Weather - Reasonable, overcast, a little chill at times from the Northerly wind. Only a brief 10 min shower as we set off from car
People - Me / Mike (Sid0995)
Time - 5 Hours
Distance - 14.5km
Ascent - 853m
Max Altitude - 765m

20100503benloyalgarmintrack.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ben Loyal (Walk Profile).jpg

Bank Holiday Monday and Mike and I took a jaunt up North for an ascent of Ben Loyal - known as the Queen of the Scottish Mountains.....no idea why but it's definitely a fantastic hill. Set in the beautiful wilderness of the far NW it offers plenty of interest - excellent views to it's surrounding mountain neighbours and out to sea, the wreckage of a crashed 1943 bomber on the lower slopes, and on the ridge itself you're offered various crags and scrambling options on the various tops. The rock was a bit wet and even icey in some parts - made it a little more interesting :D

Looking at Ben Loyal from afar it looks almost impenetrable, with its vertical faces towering above. Setting out from the farm this remains the impression until you close in and the route opens up at the bealach between Ben Loyal and Ben Hiel where it's a simple sustained pull on to the ridge.

During our ascent we stumbled upon the wreckage of the crashed aircraft, having a look and taking various pics. On the way down we met a guy with a young child - they'd taken a small bit of wreckage on a previous visit but upon Googling it realised the place is a memorial - so laced with some guilt they returned to put it back.

It's a bit of a pull up on to the ridge, after which it's your choice of which tops to take in. We circled round the base of Sgor Chaonasaid before picking a line for a little scramble up - we got near the summit and dumped our packs for the final few moves to the high point of this top.

We came down from Sgor Chaonasaid and made our way toward the main summit of Ben Loyal - An Caisteal. When you first get sight of An Caisteal it shows a vertical face one side, and a steep/dodgy face on the other! On closer inspection there's a bit of a path up and a few bits of easy scrambling - nothing of note on a dry day - but it was wet and icey in parts so some care needed. It's a good summit - vertical cliffs some sides, random rocky ledges, a nice sheltered gully that offered a fine lunch spot. We hung around for a while eating and snapping pics before descending, retracing our steps back to the start.

A fantastic day and first time I've been as far up NW - love the place. A beautiful vast wilderness. Michelle and I hope to get a couple of days up there in a couple of weeks - camping and taking in some of the coastal walks :D

A couple of shots taken from the A836 road near Loch Loyal

Ben Loyal from the starting point of walk - car park near Ribigll

Ribigill Farm

A good track for the bulk of the approach - thereafter be prepared for a moderate bogfest (not too bad though...). Follow the track off to the left

A couple of lambs posed for a pic as we passed

An easy stream crossing. Summits still in cloud - but it appeared to be lifting

Or was it? Another crossing - easy enough with care on the day, fairly shallow.

I think we'd strayed a little from the faint path and by pure chance walked straight up to the aircraft wreckage

Skirting around the base of Sgor Chaonasaid

Ben Hope

Summits: Sgor Chaonasaid (left), An Caisteal (right)

Looking back out to Kyle of Tongue from Sgor Chaonasaid summit

Zoomed

Approaching An Caisteal

Summit

Lunch gulley

A lie down on the summit. Carn an Tionail in background

Carn an Tionail

Sgor Chaonasaid from An Caisteal

The descent was quite quick. Care needed at a couple of small craggy bits - easy enough to weave a line down

Looking from the bealach to Ben Hiel

A glance back to Ben Loyal as we rejoin the landrover track

Stopped on the way home for a snap of the nearby Munro, Ben Klibreck
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Ben Loyal [Sutherland]

Postby kinley » Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Cool 8)

Very high on my wish-list but so very far away :D
kinley

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Stunning! Great report and pics and very, very timely as I'm going up to Sutherland for my summer trip this year in June and we have every intention of doing Ben Loyal along with the various Munros and bigger Corbetts. I'm wondering about the descent from Tionail if anyone has any pics of it - maybe we could go up that way and come down the 'normal' route shown here...
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Thu May 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Yes - great report & pix :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby sid0995 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:05 am

Cracking report and day out for us bro, until next time!
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Postby Clamberer » Fri May 07, 2010 11:52 am

One of my favourite hills so far- proof, if ever it was needed, that size doesn't matter!!

From the approach it looks distinctly Tolkein-esque, particularly with cloud swirling around the summits. I half expected to find Hobbits scuttling out from the gullies!

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. :D
Clamberer
Rambler

Munros:228   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   

Postby kevsbald » Fri May 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Love the photo of the Castle. Great character portrayed through your photos, Scott.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Michelle » Fri May 07, 2010 6:17 pm

You have captured it very well. There is no other area quite like it; I'm very excited to get back there in a couple weeks and explore it further. Thanks for the preview! :thumbup:
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby gaffr » Fri May 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Very fine images of the range......still one of my 'unvisited ones' along with a couple of others in the Northern wastes.....hoping to get away on a Friday before lunch for a week-end and to maybe fit in Loyal, Leoid and Ben Stack. Good walking!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby alfredo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:17 pm

Good pictures and looks like a fine day.
alfredo
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland