walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lakes Day 4 - Castle Crag and Walla Crag

Lakes Day 4 - Castle Crag and Walla Crag

Postby stevesey » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Castle Crag, Walla Crag

Date walked: 25/09/2014

Time taken: 5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast was for rain and a low cloud base - so a couple of shorts walks were planned with some of the less adventurous in our group.

Firstly a leisurely amble around Castle Crag from Rosthwaite

track (8).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parking in the NT Car Park we meandered along the valley and up the far side for an early lunch on top. The weather was kind to us and waterproofs were quickly packed away as we all started to overheat (on the flat). Showers threatened on the actual ascent - but never really came to anything - at one point I stopped to pull my waterproof on, instantly overheated, and 2 mins later took it off. Once we reached the "slate slope" the rain stopped for the rest of the day :-)

After we descended we dived into the Flock-In for coffee and cake.

Then the keener of us headed off to Walla Crag - I was hoping we might manage Bleaberry Fell as well, but we had wasted too much time ambling and drinking/eating.

track (9).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

From the NT car park on the Borrowdale road we headed straight up - 200m of ascent in 400m distance and 25mins, that done it was back to ambling along the top to "summit" and another "tea" stop to admire the great views over Keswick and Derwent Water. Bleaberry Fell was just in the clouds and a couple who had come down from there said it was a bit miserable up there (so best saved for another day). We then took the long and easy way down via Rakefoot. With some navigation practice as we went (estimating distances on the map and then pacing/timing etc).

A couple of great little walks for when the weather isn't so good.

Photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/106459429880001195754/albums/6063824415367469649

Viewranger tracks:
http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTE1NjUzMg==

http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MTE1ODI3OQ==
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Lakes Day 4 - Castle Crag and Walla Crag

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 pm

Great photos of a couple of good walks. I really enjoyed these walks when in the Lakes.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland