walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone: My second Corbett

Morrone: My second Corbett

Postby Alastair S » Thu May 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Route description: Morrone ascent, Braemar

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 02/01/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

morrone.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So a couple of months after my first Corbett (but with an intervening Graham) I was out on my own to tackle my second – which just so happened to share the same name as my first (if you chose the alternative name). Having found this site in the mean time I followed the route suggested here. The weather was fab (cold, no wind, blue skies) with just a dusting of recent snow as I got near Braemar.

The ground was frozen from the off and I was on my arse a couple of times near the viewpoint just above the woodland. As I got higher the snow got up to a couple of inches and the grip improved. Mind you I had on some pretty lightweight summer boots at this time. I soon came across a returning man who was wearing what I later learned to be Yaktrax (or possibly microspikes).

The path disappeared under the snow from about 600m but this wasn’t a problem. The ground is fairly rocky most of the way up. Once I was up I was there a good half hour marvelling at the views all around and at the rime on the trig point and radio mast (having never seen or even heard of rime before). It was here that I fell in love with “the hills”. It is in the winter that they really come into their own for me.

The walk down was easy on the landrover track, then on the road past the golf club & caravan park. I now knew I’d be doing a lot more of this sort of thing. My experience on the lower part of the ascent soon lead me to get myself enrolled on a winter skills course and to get all the kit. Five weeks later it would be my first Munro (sort of).

Linn of Dee - taken from half way up Morrone's northern side

A frozen Loch Callater with Tolmount in the distance - I just love this one

Another of my favourites - The Cairngorms from Morrone (bigger view here)

Linn of Dee again - taken from near Morrone's summit

Looking North from Morrone summit - another party head north

Full flickr set here
Last edited by Alastair S on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Morrone: My second Corbett

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu May 06, 2010 11:19 pm

Morrone always looks like a good afternoon/evening jaunt to do if you've just arrived for a stay in Braemar. Not been up it yet but the views look like a good one to drag the DSLR up.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Morrone: My second Corbett

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Some lovely pics and views there - I was sighing over it as I really miss Braemar! Looks like a hill with superb views judging by your pics... I think I'd be very tempted to just set off all along that ridge in the direction of An Socach though :D I'd best not take Richard but just go up on my own then I can wander to my heart's content!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland