walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lousie Wood Law & Dun Law Circular From Glenochar

Lousie Wood Law & Dun Law Circular From Glenochar

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Dun Law, Lousie Wood Law

Date walked: 04/10/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.96 km

Ascent: 573m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lousiewood-dunlaw-circular.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My plan for today had been Beinn Dearg at Blair Atholl. I woke up at 5:30, still dark and the rain battering against the windows. Although I knew the forecast was for dry weather by 10-11am and bright skies in the afternoon, the temptation was too strong and I turned over, pulled the covers tight and drifted off to sleep with the noise of the rain.

When I woke up later, and wandered into the kitchen for coffee, my boots were sitting there looking nice and clean, primed for the hills. I needed to get out on the hills :wink: I needed a shorter walk and preferably a short drive. I had been in the Leadhills last weekend, and had ticked off 3 Donalds from Wanlockhead. This had left the 2 eastern Donalds still to be done. WH didn't have a published route for these 2, so after a little research I decided to tackle these from Glenochar since it gave a circular route.

The walk starts from the Glenochar Bastle House car park. Bastle House is an interesting site giving a glimpse into the agricultural life & history of the area. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been maintained and the signs & notices are deteriorating, its a shame because I can imagine this being a popular family visit in the summer. I followed a swampy path with an occasional way-post poking out from the long grasses, reaching the Bastle ruins, I took to the open hillside, heading NNW up Coupland Gair, just to the right of Rae Cleuch, reaching a fence-line which leads up to the summit of Lousie Wood Law.

From the summit of Lousie, I backtracked to the fence and continued to follow it towards Dun Law. This involved descending Black Law into Windgate Hass and ascending White Law. This is fairly steep, but nothing difficult, and the fence follows all the way. Up to this point the rain had stayed away, but as i crossed White Law the heavens opened and I got a soaking before getting the waterproof trousers and jacket on :crazy: I really should learn not to wait and get them on quicker :lol: There was also some pretty big hail stones getting thrown at me, which really stung!

The summit of Dun Law is modestly adorned with 3 white rocks marking the top. Although not shown on the 25k OS map, there is a junction of 2 fences near the summit and a fence heads SE for the decent onto Kneesend. A turn west coming of Kneesend leads towards the Glenochar Burn which I followed back to the Bastle and the return to the car park.

This is a short walk, but one I'd really recommend, and I can imagine this being a real cracker in the winter

Starting off at Glenochar

The 17th century history of the farming sted

House/Byre, building no. 8 on the site

Heading up Coupland gair and following the fence line onto Lousie Wood Law

View to Lowther Hill and Green Lowther

Local wildlife!

Summit of Lousie Wood Law

Dun Law - with the radio mast from Green Lowther behind

Windgate Hass, a steep climb down and back up onto White Law

Looking back across to Black Law

Dun Law, from White Law

Dun Law summit

Looking back across to Lousie Wood Law from Kneesend

Peden Burn leading to a reservoir

The return along Glenochar to the Bastle

View back to Dun Law (centre) and Kneesend (left)
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Grahams:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Lousie Wood Law & Dun Law Circular From Glenochar

Postby Silverhill » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:22 pm

You still got some nice pictures despite the rain. That must be the advantage sometimes when doing Donalds?
Well done for still getting out! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:9   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Looks a good walking area :thumbup:
Have been looking at corbett/donald mixes down this way but must keep this in mind - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby swedos01 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:41 pm

I tried this one, 2nd October 2015. Went up the wrong hill at the start. But still had a barry time - I climbed that biggest hill which was all that really mattered. Didn't matter that there's nae paths, there's plenty quad bike tracks to follow, plenty secluded gullies to have a quick shuftie in - there's few better feelings than shuftying out in the wilderness, gadgies ken what I mean. But don't wipe your bell with thon grass, cuts you up bad.
Coming down that Kneesend is difficult in wellies, loads of rabbit holes and so steep. Made it down to the burn for a much needed drink (forgot to bring some water, but a crunchie and a double decker had kept me going to this point). The water in the burn was pure pure man, I felt like that Ray Mears gadge. Stopped again at thon hooses on my way back to the motor, show my respects to those who used to live off this land, thought I'd treat them to a bit of Electronic's 'For You' from my phone likesay. the zenith of Johnny Marr's tune writing, no? I think the old ghost gadgies were probably dancing along, thankful that I'd been and thought about them and hadn't just looked at their hooses and walked up the hill like everyone else.
swedos01
Hill Bagger

Postby Pheebs273 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Thank you for this walk :clap: - I saw these hills when I was doing the walk around the Lowther hills but I couldn't find a walk published on WH for them. Looks like a more easy going route, will definitely be trying it soon on a lazy day! :D
Pheebs273
Hill Bagger

Corbetts:2
Grahams:7   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:2

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland