walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Lunndaidh and Ben Bhraggie from Golspie

Beinn Lunndaidh and Ben Bhraggie from Golspie

Postby rob munbett » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Lunndaidh

Date walked: 29/09/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was through in the Golspie area with my wife for the day - we were staying in a cottage in Altass on holiday - and I fancied a quick trip up these two hills. I had seen the statue on the hillside quite a few times from the road - and from other hills - so I thought it might be worth a visit. My wife dropped me off at the start of the Ben Bhraggie walk at NC832014 and she headed back down to the town for a coffee. It was a great easy angled track through the woods and I was able to jog up it pretty quickly, travelling light as I was. I reached the high moor and started wandering across it to the trig on Beinn Lunndaidh where I stopped to take the usual pics - but no camera in the pocket of my small rucksack so it was back across the moor to regain the track to Bhraggie. I was nearly there when I stopped for a drink and found my camera in my water bottle pocket - ah well, better late than not at all!
P1020514.JPG
Looking back across the high moorland to Beinn Lunndaidh
I went over the summit of Ben Bhraggie towards the monument.
P1020515.JPG
Over the summit of Ben Bhraggie towards the statue
P1020517.JPG
The view sea-ward
There was a great view down on Golspie, aided by a pair of superb viewing binoculars (free!) - I could even spy my wife sitting on a bench down by the shore. I phoned her to tell her (pathetic, I know) and she said that she could see me - I was the small figure! I headed down the excellent path straight down the hillside which led straight into the centre of the town down Fountain Road.
P1020521.JPG
Looking back up the heathery hillside to the statue
All that remained was to share a brilliant fish supper on a bench looking out to sea. We later drove round to Loch Fleet to see the hill from that angle and watch the geese flying in. Great afternoon!
P1020492.JPG
The hills from Loch Fleet
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland