walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Views at last - in all weathers

Views at last - in all weathers

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Route description: The Grey Corries

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 04/10/2014

Time taken: 10.1 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1505m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was another WH 'mini' meeting with some of the usual suspects, if anyone else wants to join us just watch the "Meets" threads and after umpteen PM's everything will fall into place - fingers crossed :wink:
The outing which was suggested by Gary involved studying as many weather forecasts as you can find and Gary who was in charge of organising the weather, then picking the one that looked the best :lol: :lol:
Obviously as we are now into October, one of the big problems for most walkers is the rapidly reducing number of daylight hours, the next huge problem is the travelling time to get to the start point. Just to give you some idea of the problems, Gary is in Stonehaven which is a pretty hopeless place to access the western hills from, Chris & Andy are in Broughty Ferry (posh) and Dundee which is slightly nearer, I am obviously in Fife & Karen is out just west of Glasgow - on the right side of the country but hopeless for travelling north unless you are one of the few people who enjoy driving the A82 alongside Loch Lomond :lol: :lol:
The target was originally going to be the Strathfarrar circuit, but after a bit of research that was binned due to the gate being shut at 6pm :(
So plan B was the Grey Corries and what a fantastic group of hills :clap:
We were aware of the approaching inclement weather and were behaving ourselves in an effort to impress the weather gods and it worked :lol:
Gary decided to car camp again and the rest of us opted for getting up at stupid o'clock, for example I left Fife at 4.20am :roll: As I went out of the front door, I have to say I wasn't overly impressed it was chucking it down and had been for hours. Even if the rain had stopped I was not looking forward testing out the "waterproofness" of my new(ish) squeakfree boots. I met up with Chris & Andy in Perth and headed west in a convoy, as they were planning to camp in Crianlarich for another adventure on Sunday :lol:
We met up with Karen in Crianlarich and she had kindly offered to drive in her large Honda, which would cope better with the slightly uneven track to the car parking area :clap: When Karen arrived she was a wee bit stressed out, as she had been held up on the A82 for the overnight road closure :(
By the way, it was still raining and only when we reached Glencoe did the wet stuff cease :clap: :clap:
When we met up with Gary at the small parking area he informed us that there had been no overnight rain :shock: :o :shock:
So after kitting up we set off along the track in good spirits, the main topic of conversation was the weather and Gary was fairly confident that we would be lucky :lol: I had to check my recent reports to find out the last time we weren't attacked by the clag and it was a few walks ago :( One little subject that was discussed was, would we need gaiters and Gary confidently advised us that they wouldn't be needed as there was a path for most of the day 8) So my gaiters stayed in the car and the subject was never mentioned again, well I might have raised it once or twice :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSCF6439.JPG
A few pockets of wispy cloud clinging to the hillsides

DSCF6442.JPG
The wee Minister

I have a huge problem of sifting out a mere 25 photo's out of the 168 I took, such a shame and for a change most of the photo's are pretty good :shock:
After going through the gate we reached the edge of the forested area and this was the point where things didn't go according to plan :lol: We turned right and headed uphill up the wet grassy hillside, this was the first test of my new boots. It was really hard going and after about 20mins of labouring, the rain started and things didn't look at all promising :( The sad thing was we couldn't over the horizon to assess the situation and a few of us were contemplating heading back down :roll: But Chris who had been romping up the hill suggested we head to the top of the ridge and see what it looked like from there onwards, so off we set again 8) The trouble was the top of the ridge, was one of those false tops and us usual there were about 10 more :lol:
By that time we thought we couldn't be far from the summit - WRONG :lol:

DSCF6448.JPG
The trudge uphill before the rain appeared

DSCF6453.JPG
Further up the hill, note Karen sporting her very expensive new jacket

One thing you notice from the photo's is the lack of path, Chris was galloping ahead so I can't take the blame this time for not locating the path :lol: :lol: We don't do fast walking (as Gary states in his disclaimer :lol: :lol: ) and that was confirmed as we were caught up & overtaken by 4 guys who were obviously on a mission and by the end of the day were more than a Munro ahead of us :lol:
The first summit of Stob Choire Claurigh was reached, we had partial views and were now in good spirits as the rain had stopped and we knew that this was the highest point of the day 8) We got a great view of Stob Ban and because it looked so wee, we were even beginning to doubt that it was Stob Ban :lol: I also forgot to mention that we were contemplating taking in Stob Ban as well, depending on the time, but looking down at SB the descent looked to be pretty severe and we decided to bin that idea :lol:

DSCF6467.JPG
A nice wee Lochan

DSCF6486.JPG
The view ahead, the final summit is the pointy hill on the left, looks like many miles away

DSCF6493.JPG
Stob Ban from on high

DSCF6498.JPG
The way ahead zoomed

DSCF6507.JPG
What a view!!

It has to be said the views from the first summit and all the way to the final summit were awesome in every direction, it is a shame that the photo's aren't accompanied by sound. The noise that the stags were making sounded fantastic, it was travelling up and down the glens, if anyone isn't familiar with the sound that stags make, if you ever meet Chris he will be more than happy to give a free demonstration :lol: :lol: We scoured the hills but apart from a couple of female deer were unable to spot where they were hiding :(

DSCF6510.JPG
A flavour of some of the boulder climbing

DSCF6512.JPG
Hard to miss the path, even I managed not to lose it (too often)

DSCF6520.JPG
Karen on her favourite terrain, Stob Ban in the background looking quite pointy

DSCF6527.JPG
Spectacular cliffs

DSCF6533.JPG
Views to the north

DSCF6536.JPG
Some poser not modelling any new gear (for a change)

DSCF6539.JPG
The gang, note the quality of the modelling/positioning with the final summit of Sgurr Choinnich Mor in the middle!!

DSCF6540.JPG
The way down from the 2nd summit of Stob Coire an Laoigh, this would also be the departure point off the ridge back to the car

DSCF6550.JPG
The trickiest part of the day, spot of boulder bum shuffling on quite a steep drop

DSCF6556.JPG
How many people can you spot?

DSCF6575.JPG
The final summit cairn, not overly impressive!

As usual I won't go into detail about the walk, firstly because I never remember the exact details and secondly because the route is far better detailed in the walk description :lol: :lol:
The weather had been almost ideal, a bit chilly when the wind picked, we had one brief rain shower and a few flakes of snow on the final summit, luckily the cloud base for a change was about 4000'. The waterproofs were off and on a couple of times, apart from Karen who decided to keep her jacket on, as it matched her nearly new rucksack :lol: :lol:

DSCF6562.JPG
A bit of mild scrambling

DSCF6587.JPG
Mild scrambling, Gary hands on hips admiring how well Karen and Andy were displaying their mountaineering skills

DSCF6602.JPG
Looking down onto the river/stream that would become a hurdle later

After the final summit you have to retrace your steps down and then back up to Stob Coire an Laoigh before descending down the grassy ridge towards the forested area. The initial part of the descent was fine, with a fairly well trodden path, but as usual once the squelchier terrain is reached the path disappeared :lol: So I was now in my element, as usual I was getting a bit of stick but I have broad shoulders and like to keep the spirits up :lol: :lol:
The terrain was either tufty grass, hydroponic grass and holes, the holes were a source of amusement as both Gary and Chris were competing to see who could find the most and the numbers quoted were a tad exaggerated :lol:
We eventually, after much moaning reached the deer fence and little did we know things were going to get a whole lot worse :lol:
The descent down to the dam was steep, in fact make that very steep. We ended up clinging onto the fence whilst we descended and as the wires looked fairly bent, we obviously weren't the first ones to experience the pleasures :wink:
We reached the river bank and as Chris was 'leading' the descent he was looking for "the way ahead" without having to cross the river. He managed to clamber round the fence to the other side but there was no obvious way ahead, so Gary who was 2nd in command, headed along the river bank away from the dam. There isn't a path and it involved clinging onto branches whilst overhanging the river :lol:
The plan was to find a suitable crossing point, in other words the shallowest bit :lol: :lol: Karen, who we found out later didn't really enjoy the descent very much and decided on the direct approach, splash splash, splash, water was probably just below the knees but she was on the other side of the river in a millisecond :lol:
We chaps thought we had found a shallowish bit and went for it, this would really test the waterproofness of my boots and they got a big thumbs up :clap: :clap:
We all reached the otherside without any mishaps and then it was the long trek back along the track back to the cars :(
After just over 10 hours we were all really glad to reach the cars, we southerners had planned to head to Kingshouse Hotel for a well earned meal :lol:
Many thanks to Karen for driving, it can't be easy have 3 male back seat drivers :lol: :lol:
Thanks to all my colleagues for making the day very memorable, as usual the banter was first class :lol:

This walk has to be in the top ten walks and is a must to be done in decent weather :wink:
What's next :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Views at last - in all weathers

Postby Backpacker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Been waiting all day for this and as per, you didn't disappoint :D

Next trip is Karens, hopefully she picks a nice easy double :lol: :wink:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby kev_russ » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Saw your pics on talk highlands so I thought your trip report must be up. Braw just Braw :clap:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Flump » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:07 pm

Nice report for a really enjoyable day out! (I've also been eagerly awaiting this today) :clap:
Such a cracking ridge walk, the weather was a lot better than I expected and as I hadn't done any other hills in the area made from some great views. :D

Here are a couple of the pics I took.
2014-10-04_13.19.31_002r.JPG
Looking back at the ridge from Stob Coire an Laoigh

2014-10-04_15.03.36_001r.JPG
Heading back, from Sgurr Choinnich Mor

Looking forward to the next one! :)
Flump

Munros:174   Corbetts:11
Fionas:12   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Enjoyed that. Amazing ridge views - you were pretty lucky with the weather. It's getting pretty cold on the tops now - I was on Liathach yesterday and it was forecast for -3 wind chill but it felt even colder!!!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby kmai1961 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 am

What a fabulous day it was!

Brilliant report, Martin, as usual, with stunning photos. Here's one that includes you:
happy lads -- three more blue balloons.jpg

Thanks, all, for another incredible adventure.
K :D
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:95   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 am

Been waiting for this report Martin, you guys did pretty well a long long day, back of four, wow! Well worth the early start and pretty lucky with the weather on the whole :) great report by the way, I must finally get this done as a one er, maybe next year now. I await the next adventure of the mini group :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:05 am

Another great report, Martin. :clap: :clap:
A fantastic day with great company, as always. :D
Good banter always helps the days progress. :D Especially when someone else has bought something new! :lol:

Early start (0345 :shock: ) was repaid by an absolutely stunning day on the hill. What an incredible ridge walk.
Now I see what all the fuss is about, pure magic. :D

The view ahead, the final summit is the pointy hill on the left, looks like many miles away

We were shocked to find out how far that was, but worth every minute. :wink:

Thanks (Karen & Andy) for the extra group photos, makes a change to see Martin in the shot. :lol:
Looking forward to the next.................
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Moody Corries :D Good to see them again, especially the vertical bits... The "easy scrambles" look real scary in your pics, but I remember I had lots of fun doing them. The final metres of descent to the dam are a nightmare :? I took my boots off to walk across the river just above the dam (it was still warm enough for that manoeuvre :wink: ).

So you followed our footsteps and we followed yours on the very same day - did the Ballachulish duo. It was a weird day weather-wise: heavy showers, then superb sunshine, then snow falling on the summit of Sgurr Dhonuill, sunshine and rainbows again, and finally - hail on the way down!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby tommyatr » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Cracking pics and report martin
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:17   

Postby chickadee » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Hills look gorgeous. I am bingeing on photos and walk reports as I am stuck in bed with a lurgy of a cold and trying to cheer myself up! I might tag along one day. I'm from Broughty Ferry but I can't say I'm particularly posh! :lol:
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Backpacker wrote:Been waiting all day for this and as per, you didn't disappoint :D
Next trip is Karens, hopefully she picks a nice easy double :lol: :wink:

Thanks Gary, Karen is researching as I type, I suggested a double not sure they quite fit you specific criteria :lol:

kev_russ wrote:Saw your pics on talk highlands so I thought your trip report must be up. Braw just Braw :clap:

Thanks Kev, it is difficult picking just 25 photo's, didn't manage to include some "action shots" which will no doubt please my colleagues :lol: :lol:

Flump wrote:Nice report for a really enjoyable day out! (I've also been eagerly awaiting this today) :clap:
Such a cracking ridge walk, the weather was a lot better than I expected and as I hadn't done any other hills in the area made from some great views. :D Looking forward to the next one! :)

Thanks Andy :wink:

AnnieMacD wrote:Enjoyed that. Amazing ridge views - you were pretty lucky with the weather. It's getting pretty cold on the tops now - I was on Liathach yesterday and it was forecast for -3 wind chill but it felt even colder!!!

You are spot re the temperature Annie, won't tell you how many layers I had on :oops:

kmai1961 wrote:What a fabulous day it was!

Brilliant report, Martin, as usual, with stunning photos. Thanks, all, for another incredible adventure.
K :D

Thanks Karen and thanks for driving, over to you as Gary is getting impatient :lol: :lol:

The Rodmiester wrote:Been waiting for this report Martin, you guys did pretty well a long long day, back of four, wow! Well worth the early start and pretty lucky with the weather on the whole :) great report by the way, I must finally get this done as a one er, maybe next year now. I await the next adventure of the mini group :lol:

Thanks Rod, feel free to join us, we will try our best to keep up with you :lol: :lol:

jepsonscotland wrote:Another great report, Martin. :clap: :clap: A fantastic day with great company, as always. :D Good banter always helps the days progress. :D Especially when someone else has bought something new! :lol:
Early start (0345 :shock: ) was repaid by an absolutely stunning day on the hill. What an incredible ridge walk.
Now I see what all the fuss is about, pure magic. :D

Looking forward to the next.................Chris

Thanks Chris, don't worry Karen is on the case :wink: :clap:

BlackPanther wrote:Moody Corries :D Good to see them again, especially the vertical bits... The "easy scrambles" look real scary in your pics, but I remember I had lots of fun doing them. The final metres of descent to the dam are a nightmare :? I took my boots off to walk across the river just above the dam (it was still warm enough for that manoeuvre :wink: ).

So you followed our footsteps and we followed yours on the very same day - did the Ballachulish duo. It was a weird day weather-wise: heavy showers, then superb sunshine, then snow falling on the summit of Sgurr Dhonuill, sunshine and rainbows again, and finally - hail on the way down!

You should have given us a wave :wink: :lol:

tommyatr wrote:Cracking pics and report martin

Thanks Tommy, you should try & join us, maybe next weekend :wink:

chickadee wrote:Hills look gorgeous. I am bingeing on photos and walk reports as I am stuck in bed with a lurgy of a cold and trying to cheer myself up! I might tag along one day. I'm from Broughty Ferry but I can't say I'm particularly posh! :lol:

Get well soon Kat & for the record BF is posh :lol: :lol:

Sorry for the long post :roll:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby tina bonar » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Glad you got a decent day for what is one of THE great ridge walks
We did it last September and i was forced to wear shorts after leaving my trousers at home :oops:
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 pm

That looked brilliant - just added them to the 2015 list.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:30 pm

I will never tire of seeing the Grey Corries. 8) :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland