walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

“It’s wet” said the cheery American ( or possibly Canadian)

“It’s wet” said the cheery American ( or possibly Canadian)

Postby PeteR » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Choin, near Inversnaid

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Choin

Date walked: 05/10/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

“This is Scotland” I replied “I’m used to it”.

Having been blown out by Skye (quite literally) my week of walking had so far been restricted to a single, yet stunning, day on the Corbett Glamaig :roll:

Ahead of returning to work I had planned all manner of adventures, but inclement weather and the onset of man flu :lol: (ok, it’s a head cold :lol:) had seen those plans shelved for a better day.

This walk was to be something of a contrast to Glamaig.

It was a late start as I left the house just before midday. Thankfully the roads weren’t too busy and good time was made to Aberfoyle. Progress slowed down on the single track road to Inversnaid. It was looking ominously dreary as I headed up to the large parking area at the Garrison car park.

It was here I met the cheery American (he may have been Canadian). I’m not sure if he was the landowner or a tourist, but he was standing next to a Range Rover and an all-terrain vehicle both of which contained evidence of a successful mornings hunting :shock:

I was keen to ensure it was ok to walk in the area, just in case others were still out there with their rifles.

“We’re done” was the reply, providing the assurance I required . Then those words of warning.

“It’s a bit wet” said the cheery American (he may have been Canadian). “I’m soaked” he added as he pointed to his wet clothes and boots.

I was undeterred. “This is Scotland” I replied “I’m used to it” :lol:

As I readied myself the aforementioned American (could have been Canadian) was joined by a gentleman I took to be the Gillie and they set about preparing their quarry for onward transport to wherever they needed to be taken to have whatever needed to be done to them to make them ready for the stove :?

Said Gillie appeared to find it amusing that I would plan to be heading into the hills at 2.00 p.m. on such a miserable looking autumn Sunday :lol:

But that’s exactly what I had planned and that’s exactly what I did.

Wet, the American (he could have been Canadian) had said :lol:

ImageP1110675 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

I’d say…………

The initial walk starts along a landrover track, which had been turned into a bit of a boggy sewer on account of the heavy rain and the local heillan coos using it as a toilet.

But it was a track……..up until the sheep fank that is, where I happened across one of the more unusual locals just hanging about.

ImageP1110677 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

The track then got replaced by a grass track, which in terms of bogginess made the cows toilet I’d just been on seem like a new road. I was following the WH route up onto the hill, which I knew at some point was going to become tough going over rough pathless, lumpy ground. So I might as well enjoy what tracks I was on :lol:

ImageP1110678 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

The second track then met a junction with a third track. Well, this third track made the second track look like a new road and the first track I’d been on look like it was made of Gold :lol:

This third track started to climb……..all boggy, slippery and fun, fun, fun…….. :shock: :lol:

ImageP1110681 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110684 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Eventually it arrived at an excellent new deer fence, which thankfully was adorned with a very nice gate so I could easily get to the other side :D

ImageP1110690 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Then there appeared to be no path. The WH route suggested I was now into the rough, pathless lumpy terrain I had been waiting for.

I’m sure the weather didn’t help, but this next section of the walk was tough going. I was following the course of the Allt Trosdain burn uphill, which at least gave me a point of reference to focus on. It was just a bit tedious doing the “up-n-over” on the lumpy, bumpy ground. With my man flu (sorry, head cold :lol: ) my chest was feeling a bit tight and there were moments on the climb when I was feeling physically sick, which was unusual for me.

ImageP1110698 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110708 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110709 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110711 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Eventually though I was up to and passed the old wire fence and on the boggy, soggy Bealach a’Mheim. It took a bit of navigation over the peat hags that adorned the Bealach. Once done it was then a relatively easy climb up through the crags (on a path that seems to be forming) up to the summit of the Corbett Beinn a’Choin :D :D :D

ImageP1110714 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110720 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110723 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110726 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110727 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110729 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110731 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Even with the weather I was enjoying I could see this is a great viewpoint :D :wink: Unfortunately my views were being impeded slightly and the next wave of rain was headed my way. Sadly I was now going to be walking straight into it :lol:

ImageP1110732 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110734 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Heading down off the summit and along to Stob an Fhainne I got the full force of the rain heading north up Loch Lomond. Suddenly any views I had had all disappeared in a sea of cloud and rain :( I started to suffer a bit of water damage. More to the point, my camera stated to suffer from the effects of the rain. I wasn’t minded to take many photos with the rain on.

ImageP1110745 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110758 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110763 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

It’s a good route of descent, down off Stob an Fhainne :D I deviated from the WH route slightly, instead keeping along the line of the old fence. Eventually this old fence is replaced by a shiny new deer fence, much like the one I had encountered earlier in the walk. As with the first fence this one was also adorned with a shiny new gate. I later discovered I should have passed through it, as the deer fence took a sharp right lower down the hill right across my path. I didn’t much fancy looking for another gate, so instead had to climb over it (something I try to avoid if I can).

ImageP1110769 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110775 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110777 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

I thought that might be the end of my fence issues, as my car was now in plain, if still a bit distant, sight.

ImageP1110780 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

Wrong……….the next fence, while lower, had barbed wire running along the top. I still bear the scar of a rusty barb from when I was about 10 years old :wtf: so wasn’t planning on attempting to climb this fence any time soon. As it was it was easily followed to a gate and then a brief drop down to the parking area.

ImageP1110784 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

ImageP1110788 by Riedel2012, on Flickr

So that was Beinn a’Choin. There and back again in a very little over 5 hours :D I’d always had this down as a hill to do on one of those days when perhaps I wasn’t up for much travel or the weather wasn’t set to be that great. For that reason I perhaps hadn’t held out much hope for it when I got round to it. But I’d have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a good little hill, but as with so many hills it makes you work for the summit.

As for the man flu……….well I’m shocked I’m still here :lol:
Last edited by PeteR on Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: “It’s wet” said the cheery American ( or possibly Canadi

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Hope you're feeling better from the 'flu :roll: :wink:

Seriously, looks like a decent walk had the weather been better but it does make for atmospheric photos. You're right, living in Scotland we have to get used to the rain - otherwise we'd never go out! And that's what GoreTex is for...
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland