walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain, and the Loch Restil Triple Jump

Beinn an Lochain, and the Loch Restil Triple Jump

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 22/06/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 880m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:wtf: Something of a blast from the past, this one. I can't be sure of the date, but it was a Sunday in June anyway, with a solid lid of low cloud forecast to linger all day. However, I had the morning free for a walk, so I went out anyway.
Beinn an Lochain was an entertaining-sounding Corbett fairly close to Glasgow, so I thought I might have a look at it.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I made the by now traditional mistake of parking one car park too far away :oops: ...
WR1 - Loch Restil from car park.jpg
This then gave me the problem of choosing between an unappealing road walk or an "interesting" approach to the north ridge via the swampy bit around Loch Restil's outflow burn ... ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I donned my snorkel and flippers and tackled the Bog :lol: .
WR2 - north ridge and swampy bit.jpg
However, the loch's outflow burn turned out to be quite a bit broader than it had looked from the car park. It almost had me stumped, but eventually I spotted a narrow bit where it might just be jump-able. Trying to summon up some of that Commonwealth Games "Bring It On" spirit, I got across more or less dryshod by taking a run at it and (sort of) triple-jumping across. Probably not an edifying sight but it worked!
WR3 - triple jump.jpg
The onwards route up onto the north ridge from here was entertaining, involving jooking round wee craggy bits on steep grassy slopes :) .
WR4 - up to north ridge.jpg
The craggy east side of the ridge looked impressive from here.
WR5 - north ridge crags.jpg
There was a fine view back down over Loch Restil just before I disappeared into the Clag.
WR6 - view back down to Loch Restil.jpg
No more views after this unfortunately, but at least I soon joined the main path up the north ridge, which is something of a three-lane highway!
WR7 - on the path.jpg
Although there were no views as such, there were plenty of what might be called "clag-scapes", in other words, interesting craggy-looking stuff looming out of the cloud ... one of the unexpected pleasures of walking in Scotland on one of those rare days when the sun isn't splitting the skies :lol: .
WR8 - crags looming on left.jpg
The path is in excellent nick and it gave a fairly easy ascent through what would otherwise have been tricky terrain. There were still a few wee scrambly bits, all the same.
WR9 - scrambly bit on path 1.jpg
WR10 - scrambly bit on path 2.jpg
Higher up, a series of rock pinnacles looming out of the Clag gave the route an unexpected Easter Island ambience :wtf: ...
WR11 - Easter Island.jpg
It wasn't much farther from here to the first of three cairned tops. Although this first one has the biggest cairn, it apparently isn't the true summit, which is just a wee bit further on.
WR12 - south top.jpg
More crags looming pleasingly out of the Clag :) !
WR13 - more looming crags.jpg
Apparently it's this second, smaller cairn that marks the true summit ... I think :? .
WR14 - true summit.jpg
I presume the name "Beinn an Lochain" comes from Loch Restil, although there is in fact a very small lochan just south of the true summit.
WR15 - summit lochan.jpg
A bit further on, there is a third (but definitely lower) cairn on a south top.
WR16 - north top.jpg
The easiest way back down would definitely just have been the way I'd come up, but I thought I might try for a circular route by going down the easy south-west ridge. However, the disadvantage with this ridge was that it ended well out to the south-west of my starting point, in the wee glen between the Corbett and Beinn an t'Seilich (an east top of the Graham Stob an Eas) which is the next hill to the west, and with a broad strip of forestry blocking the descent route to the B828 in Gleann Mor.
WR17 - view over glen on descent.jpg
The south-west ridge descent, although pathless, had been easy enough on gentle grassy slopes, but cutting round back east above the forestry took me into much rougher terrain, and the going was fairly slow.
WR18 - two roads visible above forestry.jpg
I found a bonny big rock complete with its own flourishing ecosystem :) !
WR19 - rock with ecosystem.jpg
Eventually I got fed up with the increasingly rough ground, and I decided to head down and take my chances with the forestry.
WR20 - down to forestry.jpg
There was a nice wee bluebell wood just at the top of the trees.
WR21 - bluebell wood.jpg
Fortunately the Christmas Trees didn't prove as formidable an obstacle as they'd looked from above: this is fairly mature spruce forest now, and there weren't too many low branches. I got down to the B828 sooner than I'd expected. There was a bit of a roadside walk now, but it turned out to be unexpectedly scenic, by the side of the tumbling Allt Glinne Mhor.
WR22 - nice roadside bit.jpg
Ben Donich, the Corbett to the south on the other side of the B828, was looking impressively craggy.
WR23 - hill on other side of road.jpg
The last bit of road walk, by the side of the busy A83, was a bit unnerving, but at least there was a lovely view of Beinn an Lochain mirrored in Loch Restil right at the end.
WR24 - Beinn reflected in Loch Restil.jpg

A great wee hill, this, even in the Clag :D .
bobble_hat_kenny
Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:33
Grahams:34   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2

Re: Beinn an Lochain, and the Loch Restil Triple Jump

Postby litljortindan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Olympian indeed!
litljortindan
Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:55
Grahams:26   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Beinn an Lochain, and the Loch Restil Triple Jump

Postby Silverhill » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 pm

That last picture is lovely! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland