walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Postby Pete and Esther » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 11/10/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We decided to tackle these as it looked like the weather would be better in the east and it would get us to the magic 50th munro.
We had already done Geal Charn so decided to add A'Mharconaich to the Walk Highlands double of Sgairneach Mor & Beinn Udlamain.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked in the layby near the Drumochter Summit sign as per the walk instructions, followed the track under the railway and up the glen. We took the first bridge, carried on the track for about 20 metres and there is a faint boggy path heading up Sgairneach Mor. The path gradually became clearer and less boggy skirted the knoll and took us unto the ridge up Sgairneach Mor. There were small clouds floating below us
image.jpg
Clouds from above

We then met a pair of plump ptarmigan who waddled off in their usual fashion. No photo (it was a speedy waddle!)
Here is the obligatory summit photo of Pete on Sgairneach Mor.
image.jpg
Summit of sgairnoch mor
It is a wide airy summit with fine views of the surrounding hills. After a celebratory snack we continued to the bealach which was surprisingly not boggy and we disturbed some deer. We followed the fence posts up Beinn Udlamain spotting mountain hares on the way up. At the top we displaced a mountain hare from the wind shelter. He didn't go far so here is his photo.
image.jpg
Hare on top of Beinn Udlamain

We also got good views of Loch Ericht
image.jpg
Loch Ericht
And here is another summit photo - me this time!
image.jpg
Beinn Udlamain Summit
Continued on the clear path to A'Mharconaich for the final summit of the day and our fiftieth munro.
image.jpg
A'Mharconnaich

We followed the ridge down to Balsporran cottages and forded the burn. P's feet were fine in his Altbergs and gaiters but I was wearing my summer berghaus's and my feet were soaked. Back along the cycle path which was a trudge but the rest of the walk was worth it.
On the whole my favourite sort of walk up high with ptarmigan and mountain hare.
Pete and Esther
Mountaineer

Munros:216   Corbetts:66
Fionas:8   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:108   

Re: 48,49,50....

Postby litljortindan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Nice pictures. Low cloud reminds me of our visit to the area last summer.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: 48,49,50....

Postby Silverhill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Congratulations on reaching 50! :clap: It’s always great to spot wildlife in the hills! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland