walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

moorfoots, ohhh the bogs!!!

moorfoots, ohhh the bogs!!!

Postby jac the lassie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Blackhope Scar, Windlestraw Law

Donalds included on this walk: Blackhope Scar, Bowbeat Hill, Dundreich, Whitehope Law, Windlestraw Law

Date walked: 14/10/2014

Time taken: 12 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For various reasons I'm struggling to get days off to head to the munros. This was getting me down a bit, till I discovered the donalds and grahams within 40mins drive!

These are hills that can be walked in a few hours, so can be done after work ( I finish about 3/4 most days)! Great test of navigation to as there are very few paths, but damn they got some bogs!
First came Dundreich! A lovely 2 hour walk from portmore loch via a huge ring fort. No real bog, so lulled me into a false sense of security.

668_663319753.jpg
Dundreich

Then came windlestraw last week :roll: I did this from b709

678_663319540.jpg
Windlestraw law

I haven't long done ben oss etc. This was soooo much worse than the bog at the beginning of that. Rising damp to ma knees, lol. If I had to do this again, I'd take waders :lol:

Then I did Whitehope law on sunday

678_663319489.jpg
Whitehope law

Did this from the leithen estate. Rather a nice forestry track then swing back east onto pathless heather grouse moor.
Warning= the estates spaniel often follows walkers up here.
685_753322968.jpg
Stalker!

I spent the whole walk to the summit and full walk down panicking about what to about about this hanger on. Till I got to the lodge and was asked if I'd had company! :roll: :shock:

And today I got finished at 2, so ran to get the last two. Blackhope scar and bowbeat hill.
I started on the wh route
665_663318997.jpg
Peel tower

Then came the bog
685_663319118.jpg
Bog

685_663319211.jpg
More bog!!!

Then finally the summit of blackhope
678_663319181.jpg
Blackhope scar

Then more pathless bog till the wind farm
685_663319265.jpg
Bowbeat windfarm

Then I got a stunning view over to Glenrath heights

534_753320454.jpg
Glenrath heights from bowbeat

As I only had an hours light left I cut down to the centre of the valley to get onto the farm track on the OS map. This provided to be a time consuming slog through heather and slippy bog with huge leg eating holes.
With huge relief I made it onto the track

685_663319392.jpg

In hindsight I'd probably have been quicker just finishing the wh route, going up Dundreich then back to the cottage. :roll: but it was an adventure!
Just enough light to get back to the van. :D

Moorfoots done! :D

Now.... what else is within an hours drive............ :wink:
Attachments
685_663319442.jpg
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Re: moorfoots, ohhh the bogs!!!

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:06 pm

Nice one & thanks for posting :wink:
May follow in your footsteps over the coming months, watching out for the damp spots :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland