walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ghabhar by the Aonach Mor

Stob Ghabhar by the Aonach Mor

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 06/06/1994

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 13.7 km

Ascent: 1050m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm just posting this walk done in June 1994 because no-one else has reported climbing Stob Ghabhar by this route. Looking at the map, the great ridge of Aonach Mor seemed to offer a direct and little frequented route to this popular peak - I'd already done Stob a Choire Odhair from Forest Lodge and Creise, Clach Leathead etc. more than once. We crossed the river by the bridge at Alltchaorunn, then the plank bridge and ascended the great ridge seeing no-one until we reached the summit cone.
returned the same way, but the bridge was closed and we had to wade the river. Not too difficult in June, but our (Lassie type) dog Prince became marooned on a rock mid stream and just sat and howled - I had to wade back and rescue him :lol: Can't remember exactly how long we took but it was a long and very satisfying day.
I'm glad it's reported that the bridge is now generally open as I still have Beinn Mhic Chasgaig to do
EDIT Nov 2017
I've now found some photos of the route, and had them scanned. some of the colours are a little "off" but they've survived reasonably well.

Et05.jpg
The plank bridge
STG02.jpg
On the flattish top of the ridge - looking across to the notch behind An Grianan
STG01.jpg
Zoomed - Bidean, Stob Coire Screamhach and Stob Coire nan Lochan
STG03.jpg
Prince
STG04.jpg
The Buchaille
STG05.jpg
Looking up to Stob Gabhar
STG06.jpg
A wider view
STG07.jpg
Looking down the Aonach Mor ridge to the notch again
STG08.jpg
From higher up another view down the ridge
STG09.jpg
The Ben stands out to the North
STG10.jpg
Near the top the ridge turns R to a flat section below the summit
STG11.jpg
On the flat section
STG12.jpg
From the same point looking down the Coire na Chaolain - Aonach Mor on its R
STG13.jpg
From the top looking along the next ridge to Sron a Ghearrain
STG14.jpg
W to Stob Coir' an Albannaich with Ben Starav behind
STG15.jpg
Same view from a slightly different angle - possibly on the descent from the cairn on the top of Aonach Mor
STG16.jpg
The Buchaille again
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Stob Ghabhar by the Aonach Mor

Postby Silverhill » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Mmmm, looks like a great approach! :D Would you happen to have any pictures? I walked along Aonach Mor on my way to Clach Leathad, and it surely is a fantastic ridge! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Sorry Silverhill I don't think I do. It was years before digital and If I took any, I didn' scan them into my computer. I suspect it was fine but very hazy not good photo-weather!
I like to post different routes on hills. I find it sad that people just look at the "book" and say "where DO we start?" When I started doing Munroes, guidebooks were virtually unknown - you used the map to plan your route
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:38 pm

This a great route - well worth doing as it feels like a completely different hill than from the Loch Tulla side. It did fall somewhat into disuse while the gate over the bridge was locked, but happily that's been resolved. You can make a nice circuit by going over Sron a' Ghearrain and descending either of the ridges bounding Coire Laoghan.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malky_c » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 pm

There's some photos here:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7016
I think this report was on WH as well at one time :shifty:

Good approach, and one I've fancied since spotting it on the map :D . Likely to do a big circuit of Stob Gabhar taking in the Corbetts on each side first.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm too old to do that Malky - but as I said to Silverhill I do like to highlight different routes on the hills.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi guys
I finally found the slides I forgot I had taken on this route. I've had them scanned and added them to the report
Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Love the scanned pictures - I did some on here (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=59882 and the second of those routes was definitely, as you say, a route planned from a map, not from a guidebook!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm

I came here to say what a good route choice, but it seems like I already have :lol: . Nice photos - wish I could get scans of that quality (mind you, I haven't tried for a while. Technology may have moved on a bit in the last 7 or 8 years).

Still haven't been up this ridge though :roll:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:32 pm

malky_c wrote:I came here to say what a good route choice, but it seems like I already have :lol: . Nice photos - wish I could get scans of that quality (mind you, I haven't tried for a while. Technology may have moved on a bit in the last 7 or 8 years).

Still haven't been up this ridge though :roll:

Hi Malky Old slides often take on a darkish blue purple "caste". I have do to a lot of "photoshopping" to get them right - and even then it doesn't aways work. I've been doing it for nearly 20 years and I've learned a few "tricks" over that time :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland