walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane

Ben Vane

Postby Jock McJock » Tue May 11, 2010 12:56 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 07/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 930m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was going to do this walk the day before but the weather was looking a bit dodgy in the morning. Turned out a lovely day though. So on the Friday morning, with the weather looking dodgy again, I made my mind up to get out anyway in the hope that it would do the same as the previous day.

Arrived up at Inveruglas at 0800hrs. Things were still looking a bit overcast but the forecast said it would brighten later. Set off up the road and out towards the mountain on the Sloy Dam road.
Photo0607.jpg
Ben Vane
After a bout 40mins arrived at the wee bridge and headed over it and up the road a wee bit to where the path heads off towards the hill. Must admit that this hill looks intimidating. Had seen it a couple of weeks ago when I went up Ben Vorlich and thought then that it looked like a bit of a challenge. Very steep almost all the way and very rocky. With the weather still slightly overcast and the clouds casting dark shadows over the the big rocks above I set off up the hill.

Like I said this is a steep one and I was soon huffing and puffing my way along. The good thing though is that you gain some height very quickly and so the views soon opened up and I could see back down the road towards Loch Lomond.
Photo0615.jpg
Soon getting some height.
So at least I had something nice to look at every time I stopped for a wee rest, which was frequently :lol:

After about an hour or so I was up in the false summits region. Had read all about the false summits on this one so was prepared for it and didn't get my hopes up every time I thought I was getting there. Seemed that every time I got over one big steep face there was another waiting behend it. Really enjoyed this part of the walk though as there is some minor scrambling involved. Was nice to have a wee scramble up the rocks. Think I made it harder for myself a couple of times as the path sometimes seemed to split and I swear I always picked the path that lead to the steeper and more scrambly parts. Must have been 4 or 5 false summits before I finally hit the top about 2hrs 45mins after I had left the car park.
Photo0660.jpg
View from the wee cairn at the top looking south.

Thought at first I had missed it or there was still a bit to go as I couldn't see the trig point. Soon realised that there wasn't one though, just the wee cairn at the top. Had had to put the jacket, hat and gloves on about an hour into the walk and was glad of then at the top.
Photo0656.jpg
Me at the top feeling a bit chilly.
Wind wasn't too bad but it was cold. Only spent about 15 to 20 mins actually on the top due to this. The views were lovely. Could see right down Loch Lomond. Ben Vorlich was looking nice opposite and it was nice to see it from the top of this one as I was on top of it a couple of weeks ago.
Photo0665.jpg
Ben Vorlich opposite and the Loch Sloy Dam below.
Could see across to A'Chrois, Ben Narnain, The Cobbler and Ben Ime which still had some snow left on it.
Photo0622.jpg
A'Chrois
Photo0640.jpg
Ben Narnain and The Cobbler sticking up behind.
Photo0659.jpg
Snowy Ben Ime.

Soon headed off back down to try and find somewhere more sheltered and warmer to stop and have a bite to eat. Must have worked my way down about halfway before finding a nice wee ledge to perch myself on and have some much earned lunch.
Photo0679.jpg
My view for lunch. Loch Lomond with Loch Arklet over the hill beyond and Ben Lomond reaching towards the clouds.
Was about half eleven/twelve o'clock by this point and soon seen some fellow walkers climbing up below me. This was the first I had seen anyone all day. Finished my lunch and headed off down the rest of the hill. Arrived back at the car park just after 1300hrs so all in it took me about 5 hours which seems about par for the course.

Realy enjoyed my day on Ben Vane. Its a big steep bugger but its an interesting walk with hills all around. The views are lovely and the rocky parts at the top add a wee bit of excitement. And guess what? By the time I had come back down the sun was shining and most of the cloud had lifted. Sat a while on the wall of the car park at Inveruglas, had a wee bar of chocolate and enjoyed the lovely weather and the loch in front of me. Had a wee look at the map and I think The Cobbler or Ben Ime(or both :D ) are looking good for my next outing.
Last edited by Jock McJock on Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Vane

Postby monty » Tue May 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Nice read that Jock. I done this one with Ben Vorlich last year. This was not long after they had demoted one of the munros. Ben Vane had been under suspicion but they relented and left it a munro. Its a great hill. It has everything. Nice steep climbs, false summits and little scrambles. Well done :D
monty

Postby Jock McJock » Tue May 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Cheers Monty. Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich on the same day? Both of them them had me knackered just one at a time. Well done! :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mountain coward » Tue May 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Yeah good report :D Gives me a nice idea of what I didn't see!
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland