walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Alps Of Arrochar

The Alps Of Arrochar

Postby RadMan » Tue May 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 08/05/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

N_I_C.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had been planning on doing these hills for a few weeks now so when the forecast said it was going to be a dry weekend with good visibility i thought 'thats good enough for me' and packed my camping gear with the view of going solo.
Told the 'other half' my plans for the weekend only to be told "ahh your no gan away again, am always getting left at hame!" So without thinking :shock: i invited her along thinking she would say no but to my dismay she said she would. :o
So i showed her the hills we would be doing but i dont quite think she realised how hard it would be, especially as shes not used to this kind of thing (more like 10km round the shops).
So the weekend came and Friday night we got up to Arrochar and camped at Ardgarten next to Loch Long.
Saturday morning and i was woken with a very bright light shining in my face and when i peared my head out the tent i couldnt believe my luck! :D
2010_0508(001).JPG
Loch Long

2010_0508(013).JPG
Ardgarten Campsite

Well the start of the walk was not too bad going i thought but it was very hot in the forest so was relieved when we cleared it and caught a breeze. The views started to open up as i had a look back to Arrochar.
2010_0508(017).JPG
Arrochar

I bet Ben Lomond was very busy on a day like today.
2010_0508(018).JPG
Ben Lomond

Climbed a little higher and caught my first glimpse of the mighty Cobbler in all its glory :D
2010_0508(021).JPG
The Cobbler

Not too far now as we look ahead on the road to Narnia :lol:
2010_0508(025).JPG
Narnain

The climb was fun as we scrambled up between little gullies as we aproached the summit.
2010_0508(029).JPG
A Wee Bit o' Scrambling, Gid Mun!

Almost there. The views were absolutely amazing, just soaked it all in.
2010_0508(031).JPG

2010_0508(033).JPG

Views to the north - possibly Ben More?
2010_0508(036).JPG

We made it to the cairn at about 12:30 and my legs started to feel like jelly so decided it was time to refuel before we got going again.
2010_0508(037).JPG
1 down, 2 to go.

Really enjoyed our lunch together and once we were on the move Beinn Ime came into sight and i was slightly relieved it wasnt so steep as Narnain.
2010_0508(039).JPG
Beinn Ime

A wee look back to Narnain.
2010_0508(040).JPG
Narnain

So all was good as we basked in the sun and started the ascent to Ime until the other half decided she had had enough and couldnt go on any more. Well i kinda thought this was going to happen so i told her to sit tight and look after my rucksack and i'll go on ahead and bag Ime then get her on the way back down. "Ehh, am no waiting forever, 20 mins and im gan back to the car!" Righty o, as i ran the last third up and down in a mad rush sweating like mad in what felt like 20+ degrees!
2010_0508(042).JPG
Summit of Beinn Ime

I was pooped after that but knew i wasnt passing up on the Cobbler, not on a day like this, no way, i'll drag her up kicking and screaming if i have to.
2010_0508(046).JPG
The Horn

So i had managed to convince her that this last one wouldnt be bad and she would enjoy it, some how i dont think she believed me as she was cursing on the climb up the big steps.
2010_0508(048).JPG

2010_0508(050).JPG

Once at the top, it was very busy with a lot of people looking at the needle, trying to build up the courage to do it, especially the 4 glaswegians doning rangers tops and jeans with one saying he was full of buckie! :shock:
2010_0508(064).JPG
The Needle

Stuff it i thought, im going for it. I would only regret it if i didnt even try.
2010_0508(060).JPG
Whoooa nearly!!!

Success! With legs wobbling like jelly, 'hurry up and get a photo' im shouting. Never been so glad to get back down of that thing.
2010_0508(056).JPG
Top of the World!

What a day it had been and even Hayley had agreed as she knew we just had the walk in to go.
I couldnt help but stop about a dozen times to take lots of pics of the Cobbler as its just so majestic.
It may not be munro status but it certainly sits proud in amongst its taller neighbours knowing that it is proberly the most favoured of them all, one i shall certainly be visiting time and time again. :D
2010_0508(069).JPG

2010_0508(076).JPG

2010_0508(077).JPG
Last edited by RadMan on Tue May 08, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Re: The Alps Of Arrochar

Postby magicdin » Tue May 11, 2010 8:31 pm

great report on an area I know well

and well done radman on getting to the top of the centre peak on your first time on the cobbler
took me a few visits to pluck up the courage

at least you know you have really "bagged" the hill 8)
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Milesy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Great day for the hat trick 8)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Brill report radman,was up there 4 weeks ago and had to back of,lots of snow,in that wee gulley you were scrambling up got no views that day clagged in all day can"t belive how close I was to the summit of Ben Narnain,only make me more determind next time :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 12, 2010 9:26 am

Lovely to see the views and those actual peaks - we saw nothing when we did them :( You look to have superb weather - some great pics there - what lovely light on Loch Long!

Couldn't your missus have spent the day savouring the delights of the shops of Arrochar? :lol:

Well done for making the climb to the actual top of the Cobbler - I'll never be doing that! Wasn't it worse coming back down? That ledge must be awful in descent as it slopes outwards...
mountain coward

Postby skuk007 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Well done on doing the cobbler. Looks scarier every time I see a pic. Isn't it easier coming down facing the rock? I wouldn't want to be looking at where I might be going. :shock:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby chalkywhyte » Thu May 13, 2010 11:14 pm

If it's dry, face forward is the preferred descent, but under ice, it's easier to slide down with your back to the rock and hope for the best :shock: I've given up doing it in icy conditions cos I'm old and scared :?
chalkywhyte

Postby RadMan » Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 am

Cheers guys,

To date its been one of the best and most fun day on the hills.

I would say the climbing up the needle is easy but getting down is far harder, i preffered to face forward on the descent so i could see where the edge was and where i was putting my feet. Needed to put a lot of trust in the grip of my boots though and would never attempt it in any other weather conditions (im too young to die) lol! :lol:

MC - theres not much in Arrochar is there, the chippy was quite good though. Would rather have carried her on my back all day than let her loose with my credit card! :shock:
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Postby mcfly1981 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Guid stuff Paula!!

There's no way you'd get me up on the Needle. Looked a quality day. Cant wait to do this myself.

ps where did you go with tinny, ger etc?
mcfly1981
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:3   

Postby Salahuddin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 pm

Epic job to do all 3 in one day! 8)

i did the decent of the needle the exact same way on my bum and all fours = most traction, well i suppose you could slither on your belly like snake :lol:
Salahuddin
Munro compleatist

Munros:21   Corbetts:8
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:2

Postby malky_c » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Completely missed this report at the time :shock:
Pretty impressive getting your missus round this if she was less than keen. There's quite a lot of ascent in the route, even missing out Ime. Mine would've dug her heels in at the top of the woods on the Narnain ascent, I'm sure.

Nice photos too :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland