walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windlestraw Law

Windlestraw Law

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Route description: Windlestraw Law circuit, Innerleithen

Grahams included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Donalds included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Date walked: 25/10/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 18.88 km

Ascent: 917m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2014-10-25.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I followed the Met Office forecast east to catch some half-decent weather which lead me to Innerleithen and Windlestraw Law.

I enjoyed the varied terrain on this walk. Starting with the view point on Pirn Hill and through Pirn Craig forestry. Open moorland across Kirnie Law and a soggy peat plateaux on Windlestraw. Then rolling hills across Scawd Law and Cairn Hill with a descent through Caberston Crags forestry to Walkerburn. Finished off with a leisurely stroll along the River Tweed back to Innerleithen.

I was amused by how animals, very like us, have a tendency to put complete trust in a path and follow it wherever its going! First by a couple of sheep attempting to run away from me by running down the path, only to stop and look back and see me still coming! In that fashion I effectively chased them over Pirn Hill and out the forest at the other side :lol: :lol: The second was bird tracks (possibly grouse) following, ironically i thought :lol:, a stalkers path. The tracks followed the path for a kilometre or two, which I thought really odd!

A nice wee walk for this time of year.

One of seven stone cairns on Pirn Hill

View down the River Tweed to Walkerburn. I'll later be returning from Walkerburn along the river bank.

Disused pumping station, near Kirnie Law. A strange sight in this setting!

Cairn on the southwestern top with the summit of Windlestraw law behind.

Windlestraw Law summit.

Looking down to Caberstongrains from Plover Knowe.

View from Scawd Law.

Dinosaur tracks!! ... Well a mini grouse sized dinosaur, that followed this stalkers path for about 2km!!

From Cairn Hill looking back across Scawd Law and Windlestraw Law behind.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Grahams:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Windlestraw Law

Postby jac the lassie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Nice pictures! :clap:
Did this hill a couple of weeks ago from the road, during sunset. Boggy but
nice views! :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Postby malky_c » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:51 pm

As I suspected, this makes a more interesting hill in a longer circuit :) . I hope that a circuit of Blackhope Scar can be made as pleasant as this, as it is one of the few remaining Grahams I am not especially looking forward to doing :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:272   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:35

Postby jac the lassie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Ye, I've just done blackhope scar a week ago. It's a bit yucky. :? :roll: and that was before all the rain. :crazy:
I'd do it but after a deep frost! lol. Or possibly doing it from leithen then walking up through the forestry! That would greatly reduce the worst of the bog! Just pop out at emly bank then follow the fence line up to blackhope. :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland