walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Ardrain from Glen Falloch

Cruach Ardrain from Glen Falloch

Postby MarkD » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 25/10/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast was pretty horrible for today and I must admit I had my reservations about this walk. Only due to the fact that I have not walked since April on the hills and haven't tackled a Munro since last year.

In truth I probably bit off more than I could chew and there were two points where I thought enough is enough. The wind, rain and extreme gusts made very heavy weather of the ascent and descent in particular. At 18st 5lb im unfit for the mountains but fit in other respects, however, I was stood still in the head wind and hanging on at points but somehow managed to get through the tough parts.

Some school boy errors with regard kit that left me sodding wet and some chaff at the end. Nevertheless, I walk with a group from the "The Glasgow Walking and Hillwalking Club" and was last man standing in the group, so I think I'm grateful for their patience and persistence. Definitely a few tricky moments on occasion with footing in extreme weather but all in all a great day. NO time for pics let alone stopping for a bite to eat. This was a quick day and the replenishment's came by way of a nice bowl of soup at The Inverbeg Inn ( I would have preferred the Drovers personally).

Lastly, it has been a while since I posted here and in truth tooo long.. need to get my hill walking legs back and some thought about what kit to take next time.. the joys of Scottish walks... you just never know...lol. However, thank you MWIS, your forecast was bang on.

Great day out and good company to. Thanks.
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Cruach Ardrain from Glen Falloch

Postby bdearg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:12 pm

went up this 2 and a half weeks ago in half decent conditions and hated every minute of it. did an stuc today plus other two from ben lawers hotel weather very similar to you and this was a walk in the park compared to cruach. so well done m8....... :clap:
bdearg
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:64
Fionas:37   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland