walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ibuprofen, my new best friend

Ibuprofen, my new best friend

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Route description: West Highland Way 3: Rowardennan to Inverarnan

Date walked: 24/08/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=46990 (Day 1 report)

So day 2 then, woke up a bit sore, took a couple of paracetamol with my breakfast at the Oak Tree. We had a great time there and i would fully recommend it. We crossed over the car park to pick up the trail again through the forest and by the marina .
DSC_0954.JPG

DSCF3364.JPG
Marina

But I was still sore from the previous day, I walked slowly and let everyone creep ahead. It was going to be another long day. 20 miles yesterday , another 21 today. I was a bit depressed. I didn`t want this pain to ruin it for me.
DSCF3369a.jpg
Bull

Eventually I phoned Tommy and asked him to leave me some Ibuprofen tablets by the side of the path for me. I hate taking painkillers and these in particular , as they leave me feeling docile and dizzy. I took some with mars bar and sat by the loch for five minutes, till they kicked in. Wow :shock: did they kick in , I was totally buzzin ! I walked with Jim and Louise for a bit and my head was bouncing :D I couldn`t feel the pain either. We climbed through the forest and walked by Salochy and had to take a picture of "the tree".
DSCF3374.JPG
the tree

And it was scorching now. So much so that we caught up with Tommy,Martin & Brian all sunbathing on a rock by the edge of the loch. "Not going in boys" ? I asked as I stripped to my boxers and dived in. Ach, maybe i just tentatively paddled for a bit before slowly lowering myself into the cold water. :lol:
After larking about for five minutes , I got back out and dried and dressed, and we were off again.
DSC_0963.JPG
Bathing spot

After going by Rowardennan we talked about finding the low route along the lochside and we saw some signs informing us that work was being done on this, so that was ruled out. I stopped by an honesty box to buy some water and after soon after stopping to release some of this water I fell way behind the others. I was on my own for at least an hour, but enjoying it just the same . The path climbed up between the trees, offering just some shimmering glimpses of the loch way below. And through some gaps in the trees some mountains on the west side could be seen.
DSC_0966.JPG
Cobbler

On this path I caught up with a couple of the belgian girls, I so recognised that walk. Heavy rucksacks, big clumpy boots, dragging their feet as the trudged along. I`ve been there, felt so sorry for them. I had a quick wee chat with them. They had earlier tried to hitch a lift, oops not on this side of the loch you don`t. I left them to it , wondering if they had wondered what the hell they had signed up for.
Whilst i was walking back downhill on the road, with the others just in sight, I heard a tring, tring "ring, ring" shouted a guy on a bike who came flying by me...with a trailer. Lucky bassa i thought, as he wizzed down the hill past Brian & Beck. coulda gave me a lift ! We were soon to catch up again with this "lucky bassa" as he tried to drag his bike & trailer up a steep section of the path after we left the road. I thought about helping as he asked how much further it was to Inversnaid, where I think he was going to give up the Way, there was no chance he was doing the next section with that trailer, but I realised , I help him up the hill, he speeds by my on the next downhill, then I have to help him up the next hill, and so on and so on. Yer on yer own mate :lol: We all eventually gathered again at the Inversnaid hotel , had something to eat, drink and were joined by another mate of Tommy and Brian, Bob. He had walked in from the Drovers to meet us and walk back again and accompany us for a bit the next day.
DSC_0974.JPG
inversnaid

DSC_0975.JPG
falls

This is probably the toughest day on the walk, but if you`ve got great weather like we had then it makes it all the more easier. The path along the loch on this section twists & turns, drops and rises and is usually only wide enough for single file walking. It`s rocky and green, with only the water to your left and mostly steep embankments to your right.
DSC_0982.JPG
jungle selfie

There`s no long distance views as you are enclosed in a blanket of trees, with care to be taken as you avoid the roots that cross the path, but it is most enjoyable, with a real feeling of adventure.
DSC_0983.JPG

But it is a long day and with no prospect of hitching a lift, you just have to keep going. RobRoy`s cave is along this way, but we gave it a miss this time, I think I described it as "just a whole in a wall" to convince the others not to bother with it :lol: We had all split away from each other and walked alone for a bit, and I got a bit of a surprise , when Louise came back down the path whispering in excitement "ghosts"! Ghosts ? Oh right , goats :roll: We stalked up the path to see the famous WHW goats. There were a whole bunch of them, munching on the grass between the trees and boulders on the hillside and we stood and watched them for a bit before leaving them . I think Louise was scared again. :-P
DSC_0998.JPG
Goat tae get a picture

We trooped on to the end of the loch section. Looking back down it , you can hardly believe you`ve just walked most of it in a few hours. In the field at the end of the loch , we hoped to see some deer like I did last time , but it was more goats we saw. I crept between the trees , through the long grass to get a decent picture of them grazing. I then got the fright of my life when i walked back out. My legs were covered in tiny black dots, which were moving ! Goat ticks. I did my best to get them all off, spraying them with smidge. Jim then caught up and inspected the parts of me I couldn`t see. Ooer :oops:
DSC_1003.JPG
Loch Lomond

We carried on and when we got to the bothy we knew we were almost there, but with still a fair bit of walking to do. We passed a few campers on this part, in great locations and with great big fires to keep the midges away. We walked along the railway sleepers through the ferns , and here i found my first slow worm, a strange looking wee creature , but with very quick reactions. When i picked it up it lashed out at me, as if to bite, but it didn`t appear to have a head? Wonder where it got it`s name ?
DSC_1011.JPG
Bothy

DSC_1028.JPG
slow worm

it`s a relief when you spot the Drovers on the other side of the river from high up on the path, but you still have half an hour or so to get round there. me and Louise trooped in about half eight and were were all sat feeding our faces for about half nine. We had a great laugh later in the bar, there was a couple of old guys playing guitar and singing the old favourites and a couple of drunk comical guests. One was entertaining everyone by joining in on the singing and trying to get all the women in there up for a dance, while the other one cased the joint :lol: Oh and Brian and Tommy tried to get a lumber for the night.
DSC_1039.JPG
Bear cheek
Last edited by tomyboy73 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Ibuprofen, my new best friend

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:17 pm

:)
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Another cracking read Tommy keep em comin
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Great photos and a great read! :D

Ibuprofen is my best pal too when knees start screaming on long descents. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Silverhill » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Lovely pictures! 8) Yes, I remember that stretch along Loch Lomond, a tough section with all the ups and downs, twists and roughness. Luckily you had your Ibuprofen to help you skip along! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby jogilv16 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:57 pm

BRILLIANT DAY ,,i had no idea you were in need of pain killers...not as if youwould have got any sympathy if i did know ,,,,, ha ha,,,, nice report on day 2 ,,,,get onto day 3......
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 pm

thanks folks, and , aye ok Jim , it`s coming, and you better put a helmet on, you`re going to take some flak :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby kirstypowell24 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Sounds like a really good walk! Can I ask how the midges were on your trip? I'm glad you had a good day for it but just wondering how the swarms were as you were in amongst the trees and near water! I only ask because they're usually hellish further north at that time of year!
kirstypowell24
Bird-watcher

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:53 pm

kirstypowell24 wrote:Sounds like a really good walk! Can I ask how the midges were on your trip? I'm glad you had a good day for it but just wondering how the swarms were as you were in amongst the trees and near water! I only ask because they're usually hellish further north at that time of year!

Hi,
the midges weren`t too bad as long as you kept moving ! the only times I remember being bothered by them was when I stopped for a seat on the devil`s staircase and when we stopped at the River Ba on the rannoch moor section.
I would be more concerned about goat ticks if you go off the path and into long grass anywhere along loch lomond. They are tiny and i only noticed them because there were so many on my legs !
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland