walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Feeling horny on Beinn Alligin

Feeling horny on Beinn Alligin

by kevsbald » Wed May 12, 2010 8:30 am

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 11/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Feeling horny on Beinn Alligin

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 13, 2010 8:38 am

From the point of view of only having a drop on one side though, and not having to clamber up and down nearly vertical bits (therefore having to look down big drops), I think I'd feel more secure on the bypass path really - it must at least be fairly level? I'd just be very careful not to slip. I was fine on the An Teallach bypass path around Corrag Buidhe - that would probably have been fatal if you slipped off it too but it was just a flat track of about a foot wide and you just had to place your feet carefully and look what you were doing really. I found I didn't even have to look down the drop as I was busy looking at the path surface so as not to slip so wasn't concerned.

Thanks for the info about the grassy side Kinley - I'd already been considering going up the normal route of Tom na Gruagaich's corrie and down the grassy bit if I chicken out of The Horns. Nice to have some feedback about what it's like though...
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 pm

You did say "Wait 'til you see the Alligin report" - it doesn't disappoint. Nice one, and great to see this fantastic mountain with a dusting of snow.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri May 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi MC

Looking down from Sgurr Mor, the Horns look completely impenetrable but they are not. On the descent to them I seriously considered turning back but, after speaking to walkers coming the other way, was persuaded they were fine. The scrambling is fun and easy and has very little (if any) exposure and you can still avoid most of the tricky bit without using the bypass.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby CurlyWurly » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 am

Great report and awesome photos Kev, this an area I will definitely have to pay a visit to this year.
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland