walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In praise of smaller hills : Torlum

In praise of smaller hills : Torlum

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Torlum

Date walked: 04/11/2014

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 322m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is definitely pleasure in exploring new areas - I have driven the A822 so many times, but today took the road past Muthill golf course, and enjoyed the views - and anticipation - of Torlum.
Torlum 2.jpg
Torlum from the east

Three cars were parked at the gate but still plenty of room for mine. Sunshine, not a breath of wind, a magnificent Spanish chestnut and then a massive oak by the side of the track, larch, spruce and Scots pine, the squeaking of coal tits overhead and the shriek of a jay.
Larch woods 2.jpg
Larch sentinels beside the track

About 800m up the track, I took the right fork and decided on the 'diretissimo ' approach up through the bracken. Ok, carried away by enthusiasm - but I must have burnt off a calorie or two! After rejoining the track, I followed the footpath to the summit.
Trig point 2.jpg
Looking north to Ben Chonzie

View over estate 2.jpg
Looking east over Drummond estate

It would have been easy to sit longer in the warm sunshine, just enjoying the estate landscape of Drummond Castle and hills beyond, but eventually I came down by the main track, heading south then east through the two gates. My opinion of the estate nose-dived when I came across what had obviously been a clay pigeon shoot - the track was littered with many plastic shotgun wads - maybe they intend to go back and pick up later? A pity really as the track is obviously well-walked and been litter-free to that point.
Overall still a most enjoyable short outing.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: In praise of smaller hills : Torlum

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi Jaywizz - being from Crieff I've been up Torlum several times - have to agree with you, nice little hill with good views.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby robertphillips » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:06 am

still to do this 1 looks a nice walk.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby Silverhill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Another great wee walk. Am loving the autumn colours! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland