walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A family quickie on Ben Rinnes

A family quickie on Ben Rinnes

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 24/10/2014

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 541m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Daughter phoned proposing we met up for a hill walk "somewhere between hers and ours". Great idea, suggested places in the Caringorms and Grantown area.

Yes she says but something nearer me, I'm busy that day :shock: :shock:

Ok, Ben Rinnes has been on the "list of hills to do when visiting daughter" for a while so why not today? Good choice really because the east seemed to be the only area not afflicted by rain and wind :lol:

We met at the car park at 10:15 on a Friday morning, to find that it was filling up rapidly. Our joint forces were three humans and four spaniels - obvious who was going to be in charge then :eh: Chatted to other walkers; one of the spaniels was put in his place by a large black lab who could see no reason why he should be expected to put up with four of the pushy little blighters. :shock: :shock: (He had my sympathy :wink: )

What can I say about Ben Rinnes? It's a straight forward walk up a hill with interesting tors at the top, oh and its a big favourite with lots of people - the hill just got busier and busier. When we set off it didn't look that challenging, but I soon found myself huffing and puffing like a broken down steam engine; why?

Daughter claims I always huff n puff - moi??
Roger had romped off into the distance so was I trying to walk too quickly - moi??
My theory is that it was the effect of the wind :lol: :lol: but I am tempted by the idea of starting my own hill grading system - the Huff_n_Puff Factor :lol: :lol:

Daughter with horizontal hair

From here the old eroded path and the newer zig zag path are very clear. On the way down I chatted to someone who lives locally who told me that the new path has made a big difference to the Ptarmigan population as it makes it easier for people to keep on a good walking surface instead of wandering over the hillside and standing on eggs or chicks :o

The tors outlined against the sky are one of Ben Rinnes' most dramatic features

Huffed and puffed my way up to the top - huffing got worse as the wind increased - wind increased as we got closer to the top :shock:

One of the reasons I've wanted to come up Ben Rinnes is because of its reputation as a viewpoint, I can see it from the top of the South Sutor on the Black Isle and I wanted the reverse view, and yes even on a hazy day I can make out the South Sutor and Nigg in the distance, and the hills of Easter Ross on the horizon

Windfarm further east

Looking towards the Caringorms, which are being enveloped in bad weather

Family at the top

On the way up Roger had caught up with another walker who was recovering from an illness and this was his first trip out on Ben Rinnes since the illness - he used to walk up the hill in and hour but today it had taken him about 1hr 15 mins, he's clearly on the way to recovery :clap: . There were quite a few people at the top and a fair bit of banter, especially about Danny McAskill's Inn Pin feat.

Even after the banter and the photos its was still only 12 noon, a bit too early to eat, so we set off down. Lots of other people were heading up the hill, so we stopped and chatted for a while. Daughter and I had a good blether and Roger steamed off into the distance again. Before we knew where we were we were back at the car park, which by now was overflowing, and it was still only 1pm - ahhh lunch time!

I think we were all surprised to have done the walk so quickly, I wasn't taking so many photos which probably helped, as was walking along chatting to someone. I would like to come back on a crystal clear winter day, when I think this would be a stunning walk.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: A family quickie on Ben Rinnes

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 am

Lovely pics, sure I can see my cottage in one of them :lol: It is a lovely hill, the Tors, especially on the far side combined with a walk across to the distillery (2 car jobby), been up it many a time in all weathers, thanks for posting :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:14 am

That looked great.

Loved this hill when I did it last year, brilliant views on a good day.

Next time you could add on the Convals - you go from a procession to being all on your own in the blink of an eye.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35755
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Just shows the difference I really good camera makes! The second time I was up there visibility wasn't bad but I got nothing like as clear distance shots as yours. :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby litljortindan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Good stuff. I'm sure those four spaniels kept formation for at least ten seconds.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Lovely pics, sure I can see my cottage in one of them :lol: It is a lovely hill, the Tors, especially on the far side combined with a walk across to the distillery (2 car jobby), been up it many a time in all weathers, thanks for posting :D

Gordie12 wrote:Next time you could add on the Convals - you go from a procession to being all on your own in the blink of an eye.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35755

Thanks for the suggestions both of you - I'm sure we'll be back so we can try them out - is there a visitor's centre at the distillery?? :wink:

dogplodder wrote:Just shows the difference I really good camera makes! The second time I was up there visibility wasn't bad but I got nothing like as clear distance shots as yours. :mrgreen:

Thanks for that - your kind words help to make up for the fact the camera's heavy - I've even been thinking of getting a compact to save lugging the weight around :shock:

litljortindan wrote:Good stuff. I'm sure those four spaniels kept formation for at least ten seconds.

Yeah - blink and you miss it :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Good stuff, this is a wee favorite of mine. It's the only hill i've ever had an inversion on. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Drove past this hill loads of times driving from Aberdeen to Boat of Garten to visit family and I've still to walk it :shock:
Might try and tuck into a few Corbetts this winter as they give spectacular views well done all and four spaniels geez bet it was mayhem them all shooting about everywhere :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby larry groo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Also, across the road is Corryhabbie....

A great winter Corbett.

Best served frozen.
larry groo

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good stuff, this is a wee favorite of mine. It's the only hill i've ever had an inversion on. :D

Thanks JC.

Beaner001 wrote:Drove past this hill loads of times driving from Aberdeen to Boat of Garten to visit family and I've still to walk it :shock:
Might try and tuck into a few Corbetts this winter as they give spectacular views well done all and four spaniels geez bet it was mayhem them all shooting about everywhere :lol:

It's really worth stopping, I'm sure your pair would enjoy themselves :lol: :lol:

larry groo wrote:Also, across the road is Corryhabbie....

A great winter Corbett.

Best served frozen.

Thanks, Corryhabie has joined the ever growing list - winter seems a good time to come back :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Silverhill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:35 pm

That looks like a lovely hill, great for getting some fresh air before lunch! I agree about the views! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland