walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A perfect autum day for 9 & 10

A perfect autum day for 9 & 10

Postby Andy74G » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 05/11/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After looking through loads of walk reports last week I decided to visit Glencoe for Munro's no. 9 & 10 and settled on these two . I'm turning into to a bit of a blue sky walker, my best days on the hills always come with the best views this year. With a few days off, I was watching the weather with a keen interest and Wednesday seemed the perfect day to be on the hills. I was up early, too early and arrived at Glen Etive before daybreak
IMG_02a.jpg
I'll admit sitting in the car looking at Stob Dearg , the route up looked a bit daunting from a distance
IMG_1a.jpg
but the closer I got the better I felt
IMG_03a.jpg
IMG_04a.jpg
. As the sun climbed in the morning sky I made steady progress up the corrie ,my feet crunching on the ground frozen and the steps slippery.
IMG_05a.jpg
IMG_06a.jpg
Like others have said , the views just get better.
IMG_08a.jpg
Soon I cleared the corrie, into the bright morning sunshine and my excitement built.
IMG_011a.jpg
The views from the summit were stunning , this really was a good day to be here.
IMG_010a.jpg
:clap: :D I stayed here for a while before forcing myself to continue as I still had a way to go.
IMG_011b.jpg
IMG 06b.jpg
IMG_013c.jpg
IMG_015a.jpg
IMG_015b.jpg
IMG_07a.jpg
IMG_016a.jpg
BY 11:40am I'd reached the 2nd Munro and the views were just fantastic here too ,thankfully there was no wind and not a sound to be heard and still no one else to be seen..., time for lunch before heading down.
IMG_017a.jpg
. The water on the path and the waterfall further down made progress slow in places but this eased the pain in my right knee that occurs on my descents.
IMG_0866a.jpg
. Normally the walk out is pain but the slow decent down cleared any pain and I really enjoyed my walk out the valley with the sun over my shoulder and time to reflect on an amazing day, I kept thinking to myself with a smile, when I looked back " did I really just do that" :D
Attachments
IMG_20a.jpg
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Re: A perfect autum day for 9 & 10

Postby kev_russ » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:47 am

What a day indeed. Stunning stuff :clap:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Silverhill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:36 pm

Great pictures with the sun casting those long shadows! 8) I loved these hills too. A good choice for numbers 9 and 10!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Andy74G » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks, I really enjoyed this day, now just planning some winter walks in this area... :D
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby ancancha » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 am

I,ve neen wanting to do these two fo a while, the scenery looks amazing 8)
It is my left knee which gets sore on decents :(
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby tibo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:34 am

Wow- beautiful views and nice photos. Very jealous of the weather you got. Has inspired me to try this walk. 8)
tibo
Bird-watcher

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland