walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tremendous Tyndrum WH Meet

Tremendous Tyndrum WH Meet

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:03 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 08/11/2014

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 28.8 km

Ascent: 2551m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It seems like no time at all since the Nethy Bridge meet, and the expressions of sheer horror on the faces of Colleen and Barry (Tina Bonar) at being nominated to deal with the Autumn meet (we know the feeling :lol: ).

Tyndrum's excellent "By The Way" facility was quickly chosen and a fantastic job they did of organising the whole shebang, consisting of 48 WHers, a fabulous quiz by Graeme D and a pile of empties and recycling that could probably dam a substantial river.

In between all this nonsense, some hills were climbed. I headed through straight from work on Friday night. "Straight" is probably not the right word as i tried to take a shortcut to avoid going through Perth, which turned into a mind-numbing three hour drive, adding 20 miles to the normal journey length.

iWKad22 (960x720).jpg
Facepalm

Anyway, I eventually arrived on a rainy night. It's the third time this year I've stayed at the ByTheWay, and it's a fine, modern facility. After a few vodkas too many I gave up and went to bed, remembering eventually that I'd probably have to climb something in the morning.

The forecast duly obliged and the weather on Saturday was far better than previously expected. Myself, Graham, Scoob, Fi, Weaselmaster Al, Sick Kid and Robert were, along with half of the meet, heading for Bidean Nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach, though we planned to head up via Beinn Fhada. Anyway:

Saturday 8th November 2014
Stob Coire Sgreamhach and Bidean nam Bian via Beinn Fhada
12.2 Km | 1302m ascent | 7h 07m

BideanTrack.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked up at the start point for the Lairig Eilde and set off on the usual path for the wee Buachaille, taking the early branch off to the right, which takes you quickly down to the Allt Lairig Eilde. After a couple of downpours in the preceding days, this became a rather more interesting river crossing. After a scout upstream failed to provide any better options for crossing, we bit the bullet and got over the dodgy and wet-looking stepping stones without incident, although Robert went a bit further upstream, braving the ice cold water by taking off boots and socks and had a bit of a slip. No harm done though and we set off up the steep initial grassy section of Beinn Fhada.

Bidean-18.jpg
Crossing the Allt Lairig Eilde

Bidean-2.jpg
Am Bodach, Coire an Ruigh and A'Chailleach

Steep grassy ascents are a slog at the best of times, but height was gained really quickly and the views were terrific.

Bidean-4.jpg
Stob Dubh and the Lairig Eilde

It wasn't long before we reached the rockier parts of the ridge, with a mini-scramble here and there. A lot of the ascent was wet grass and scree, so the rockier stuff was a welcome relief. Before long we reached the top of the ridge, with fantastic views all round, to the Aonach Eagach, Gearr Aonach and up ahead to the day's targets, which still had a layer of cloud hanging onto them for dear life.

Bidean-6.jpg
Glen Coe

After a short rest, we headed along the ridge, and a cracking ridge it is too. We had good views all round and up ahead the rocky prow of Sgreamhach looked intimidatingly cool.

Bidean-7.jpg
Lochan on Beinn Fhada

Bidean-8.jpg
Nice light on the ridge

There was also a fine view into hidden valley. We stopped for lunch shortly after Al had collected the day's first subsidiary top. We now had a clear view as far as Nevis, CMD and the Aonachs which all had a nice covering of snow. It was getting cold so we soon headed off to tackle the remainder of Beinn Fhada, then up to Sgreamhach.

Bidean-9.jpg
Back to the start of Beinn Fhada

Bidean-10.jpg
How do we get up there?

Getting up to the summit from a distance looks tricky, as you're faced with a massive rocky prow, but in reality isn't too bad. The path bypasses the prow, leading to a nice wee scramble, which gains height quickly. We were soon at the summit which commands great views, all round. Particularly across to the Mamores and back to Loch Etive.

Bidean-11.jpg
Stob Coire Sgreamhach Summit

Bidean-12.jpg
Loch Etive

After a very quick snack, and well aware of the time/daylight constraints, we set off for Bidean. The descent is quite straightforward, and although it looks like an unpleasant series of false summits, the re-ascent isn't too much of a grind.

Bidean-13.jpg
Route to Bidean

The summit was soon reached. Again a very brief stop. Al and Sick Kid nipped out to the Western Top. I had a bite to eat, took a photo whilst i could feel my fingers and we headed back down, both to keep moving and aware of limited daylight.

Bidean-14.jpg
Bidean Summit, West Top and a Distant Ballachulish Bridge

All that remained was to get down into Lost Valley and out before darkness. Bealach Dearg looks liked a steep and tedious scree surf, and didn't disappoint :lol: After a while the steep scree gives way to steep soggy grass and greasy boulders. Literally every form of descent I truly can't stand. After an eternity, the path-proper is reached and pretty quick progress was made down the stunning Lost Valley. What a place, and definitely somewhere I'd like to come back to.

Bidean-17.jpg
Sunset on Meall Dearg from Lost Valley

The interesting bit is actually trying to get out :lol: The river crossing lower down looked dodgy, so we tried to cross higher up, an event looking like a cross between I'm a Celeb and the Krypton Factor's legendary assault course. After somehow managing not to lose either my kit or myself, we eventually made a path, joining up with Fife Flyer's group and made our way out, marginally beating the darkness.

Al and Robert were kindly given lifts back to their cars and we headed back to the bunkhouse for a few drinks. I had good intentions of a health vegetarian pasta-type dinner, but caved into a deep pan meaty pizza after about 2 minutes in a shop. The usual quiz then followed which we won, thanks to the Al and Dougie's knowledge of baby s***e and music respectively :clap:

I must have been relatively sensible this weekend as i still had a respectable amount of vodka left to take home :lol:

Anyway, a crap sleep later and a ridiculously early start (by WH Meet Sunday standards) and we were off to tackle to first of the Am Monadh Dubh. Graham had arranged to meet with another hillwalking club on Sunday. It's a pleasant wee drive from Bridge of Orchy to the Victoria Bridge Car Park for:

Sunday 9th November 2014
Stob a Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar
16.6Km | 1249m | 6h 51m

BlackMount Track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This walk is a fine short-ish day. It starts from the Victoria Bridge car park, briefly following the West Highland Way, before heading towards the Clashgour Hut. The track then makes a couple of turns and a beeline for the two hills. There's an option at a wee cairn to either tackle to boggy mess to Stob Ghabhar first, or the good path to Odhair. We sensibly opted for the latter. The path to Odhair is marked further on by a cairn (which we missed :lol: ) then had to cut across up steep, wet grassy slopes to regain. From there on the path up is very pleasant, initially steep, then zig-zagging up the hillside. As height was gained, the views got better.

Black Mount-2.jpg
Looking back down the ascent route

Black Mount-3.jpg
Stob Ghabhar

The gradient eases for the final pull up to the summit. The views from here across Rannoch Moor are superb. We stopped here for a good while to take it all in, have a bite to eat and take a few photos.

Black Mount-4.jpg
Rannoch Moor from Stob a Choire Odhair

Black Mount-5.jpg
Summit Cairn

After a while we set off down to the Bealach. It's a fair drop to 632m with a big height gain, eventually to 1090. The ascent to Stob Ghabar's plateau is uncompromisingly steep and rocky in places, but steepness = good height gain and the plateau was gained fairly quickly.

Black Mount-6.jpg
Coirein Lochain from the steep ascent of Stob Ghabhar.

A quick rest stop here, and toasted marshmallows :lol: and we headed round to the summit. This route includes a fantastic wee arete, then sweeps round to a final gentle climb to reach the cairn. No views from this one due to the clag, but still a hugely enjoyable mountain.

Black Mount-7.jpg
The Arete

Black Mount-8.jpg
Stob Ghabhar's summit

The descent involves retracing your steps. Just before reaching the arete section there's a marker cairn. The descent path is mostly descent initially, before degrading to a boggy hell at about 600 metres. Once dropping below the cloud, however, the views were again excellent.

Black Mount-9.jpg
Just before the bog

The descent does however have a series of lovely waterfalls, which certainly make the boggy trudge a bit more enjoyable.

Black Mount-10.jpg
Waterfalls

Once on the flat, there's another boggy stretch before crossing the Allt Toaig, which afforded a nice boot-cleaning opportunity, prior to a short clamber up to rejoin the main ascent path to both hills. From here it was a nice wander back out towards Clashgour hut, and eventually the car park, ending yet another fantastic WalkHighlands meet weekend. Great to see everyone again, and once again, a terrific job by Colleen and Barry :clap:
Last edited by jupe1407 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Tremendous Tyndrum WH Meet

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Great report JP which sums up the weekend, accompanied by your usual top notch photo's :clap: :clap:

I take it the temperature on Sunday in your neck of the woods was similar to ours - unbelieveable :shock: :o
The clag you had on the 2nd summit travelled across to accompany us too, luckily I had already taken photo's before it arrived :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Great report JP which sums up the weekend, accompanied by your usual top notch photo's :clap: :clap:

I take it the temperature on Sunday in your neck of the woods was similar to ours - unbelieveable :shock: :o
The clag you had on the 2nd summit travelled across to accompany us too, luckily I had already taken photo's before it arrived :lol:

Thanks Martin ... was experimenting with a wee compact camera. I'm fed up of carting the heavy DSLR up hills :lol:

Sunday was bizarre. Absolutely freezing in the Victoria Bridge car park, and we were removing layers and sweating buckets on the summit of Stob a Choire Odhair. Such a change from last November's meet :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby tina bonar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Great stuff there JP
We were really fortunate with the weather for the time of year, a bit of sun and cloud-free tops makes for great photos :thumbup:
Shame Anne couldn't make it but duty calls i suppose..
Good to catch up again, Barrie
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Superb pics :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Mrs Scoob » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Tremendous report JP :wink: Sure was a great weekend - walks, weather, company, the whole deal :thumbup: :D ...except maybe the quiz, but can't win 'em all! :roll: :lol:
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Superb pics :clap:

tina bonar wrote:Great stuff there JP
We were really fortunate with the weather for the time of year, a bit of sun and cloud-free tops makes for great photos :thumbup:
Shame Anne couldn't make it but duty calls i suppose..
Good to catch up again, Barrie

Yeah she was a bit gutted. Another time though. Thanks again for sorting out a fab weekend.

Mrs Scoob wrote:Tremendous report JP :wink: Sure was a great weekend - walks, weather, company, the whole deal :thumbup: :D ...except maybe the quiz, but can't win 'em all! :roll: :lol:

Cheers Fi, was great to walk with you guys again.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Two great days out there :) . The quiz was a fix though - I'm sure of it :roll:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 pm

malky_c wrote:Two great days out there :) . The quiz was a fix though - I'm sure of it :roll:

Dougie is giving everyone a chance by asking the questions next time :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby IanEzzi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Very jealous, both slightly more interesting routes up those mountains than the ones I had taken, good enough reason to go back and do them again at some point!
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Cracking pics as always JP and two fine looking outings! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland