walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane via Ben Dubh

Ben Vane via Ben Dubh

Postby GillC » Fri May 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 10/04/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1115m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fantastic sunny clear day for our walk. This was my first walk/climb in several years and right at the start of a diet/fitness challenge. Left Inveruglas and walked up the dam road to the foot of the wall, left up a non existant path and climbed up over Sloy to the peak of Ben Dubh, and I mean climbed,,this was vertical, grass grappling stuff. Really doubted my ability, as above, first time out in years. But, at the advice of one of my companions,,"dont look too far ahead, aim only at the next rock or clump etc and you'll get there"! Boy was it worth it, fantastic views in all directions and a real sense of achievement. Dropped down and crossed the easy going terrain, past a still frozen loch and up to Ben Vane.

By the crowds we saw at Inveruglas, thought this was going to be a busy route, but first people we met was half way between the two peaks, going in opposite direction,,even on Ben Vane,,just 2 groups at the summit.

An amazing t-shirt day, fantastic views and a very strenuous climb/walk. The climb down was pretty much vertical from the summit so leg muscles took a pounding. But an amazing day out.

First show of what became a very troublesome ITBS issue (illiotibial band syndrome) major problems with my left knee and hip. Thought it was just from the days exertions but transpired to be a bigger issue,,thankfully some physio and an understanding of cause and effect helped ongoing.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

110410 Nina, Alison, Gill.JPG
Amazing views west on Dubh
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland