walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lured by grassy tracks - Blairdenon

Lured by grassy tracks - Blairdenon

Postby Jaywizz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:12 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Blairdenon Hill

Date walked: 09/11/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8.4 km

Ascent: 360m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Still looking for easy 'soft' ascents, Gordie12's report promised grassy tracks to the summit - great! We followed his route (parking at T junction etc) - and then I took ages crossing the rough wet bog/marsh/tussocks towards the plantation and eventually the gate. No such problems for my companion who took all in his stride. (There had been heavy rain the previous 24 hours, and we had driven through flood water on the Sherrifmuir road.)
After the gate, the welcome grassy tracks led us, as described by Gordie12, to the summit - thank goodness there was only one spectator as, with left leg not co-operating, I made a total hash of getting over the fence - just to visit the tiny cairn - and then back over the fence again.
SCRO 2.jpg
I could always call in Cave Rescue to help me back over the fence!

The promised sunshine never really materialised, just odd patches, and usually on any slope but the one we were on. The low clouds drifting in did give an air of remoteness and isolation. Still great to be back in the hills.
Low cloud 2.jpg
Cloud coming in from the west
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:35
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:178   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland