walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich .. Arisaig

Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich .. Arisaig

Postby DonnyW » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Date walked: 09/05/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date Walked 6-5-10
Distance 5 or 6 miles
Height climbed approx 1500 ft
Time taken … all day .. simply because it was so enjoyable

I find that hills, like people, seem to have unique personalities. No two are the same and often it’s the quiet un noticed ones that prove to be the best characters and most fun, if only you take the time to get to know them.

I discovered one such hill last Sunday. I was aware of its existence but couldn’t tell you its name until I had finished the walk , returned home and looked at the OS map of the area. That’s when I discovered it was called Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich and it forms the edge of the highland plateau behind Arisaig. When boating among the Skerries at Arisaig I couldn’t help but notice the crags and cliffs of Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich dominating the mainland sky line behind Arisaig. I made my mind up there and then to explore it further.

Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich at sunset, taken from the shore at Keppoch

Looking at the hill, the obvious way to the summit was to walk the farm road to the radio station on the south slopes then ascend the ridge before turning north towards to the summit. It wasn’t long before the views across to the small islands opened up.

Gaining the ridge at the radio station with the mountains of Rhum in the background

I love hillwalks like these, there is little or no sign of paths or people. It’s a very craggy ridge so you choose your own route and it can be as easy as you wish or perhaps involve some scrambling or even short rock climbing to suit your taste and keep your interest going.

The skerries at the entrance to Loch nan Ceall with the Island of Eigg in the distance.
Muck is of its southern point.

More skerries and Eigg

To the north west is the Island of Skye with the Cuillin and Blaven dominating the sky line

The rocky summit of Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich. Its summit cairn is only 351 meters high but what delightful views it offers.
The ridge continues northwards past a lovely little circular lochan

At the lochan I stopped for lunch. It was such a beautiful day and a beautiful view.

At the northern end of the ridge, the views to the west are over a sheer drop of around 1000 ft

The white sands of Morar are seen at the sea loch in the right of this photo

Freshwater Loch Morar is seen here. It’s the deepest freshwater loch in the UK and also is reputed to have a Loch Ness type monster.

Looking inland the rocky peak of Sgurr an Albanaich at 394 meters high was to be our next stop. It reminded me a little of Stac Polly

But first I had to negotiate a few peat hags Image

The was not path or even summit cairn on Sgurr an Albanaich but it offered great views. Unfortunately someone was burning heather and the smoke was now almost as thick as a clag cloud

The smoke really hazed the atmosphere but this photo give a good view of the ridge of Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich with all its craggy false summits.

After the day of slowly plodding around the high plateau area I returned to the beach and settled down to another wonderful sunset
DonnyW

Re: Sgurr an t- Sasunnaich .. Arisaig

Postby Bretonmichael » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 pm

Your review stirred me into registering at last and submitting my review.
I didn't negotiate it like you from the maintenance road for the radio station: I only found out this well maintained broad road 3/4 of the way up my walk !
I stayed in Arisaig where the Land and Sea Centre has a map outside of the walks around Arisaig, showing the one for Sgùrr an t-Sasunnaich starting from the right side of the back platform of Arisaig station.
Bretonmichael
Bretonmichael

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland