walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Celebrating new arrival on Arthur's Seat

Celebrating new arrival on Arthur's Seat

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Route description: Arthur's Seat and Holyrood Park, Edinburgh

Date walked: 10/11/2014

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As a child I spent many a summer holiday with my grandparents in Edinburgh. One of the delights was going to Princes St Gardens to feed the pigeons. They were so tame they pecked the lentils straight out of my hand - which I loved but the thought of which fills my younger daughter with dread. Not sure what went wrong with her upbringing. :lol:

Another delight from those days was seeing Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat from just about anywhere in the city. A favourite walk was up Blackford Hill where my grandfather would tell me about the crouching lion and the legend of King Arthur sitting up there. To me it was a magical thing to have a mini mountain smack in the middle of a city and I guess a love of high places lay dormant all those years until I finally started climbing them. 8)

This iconic Edinburgh landmark was produced by volcanic activity which erosion and glaciation reduced to its current size.

Arthur's Seat from Blackford Hill
DSC_0686-large.jpg

The first set of photos were taken on 3rd September 2012 during a walk part of the way up Arthur's Seat but on that occasion not to the summit.

Parked near Scottish Parliament on Queen's Drive
DSC_0694-large.jpg

Dynamic Earth, Scottish Parliament and Holyrood Palace
DSC_0695-large.jpg

Old Royal High School and Calton Hill
DSC_0696-large.jpg

Old Town and Edinburgh Castle
DSC_0697-large.jpg

We took the path that traverses the slopes below Salisbury Crags. This path became known as the Radical Road after it was paved in the aftermath of the Radical War of 1820, using the labour of unemployed weavers from the west of Scotland at the suggestion of Walter Scott as a form of work relief.

Being a sunny day at Festival time the path was heaving with overseas tourists - as well as dog walkers, family groups and mums pushing prams. The path rises them falls to the gap between the crags and Arthur's Seat.

Radical Road descending almost to Queen's Drive
DSC_0698-large.jpg

At the foot of Arthur's Seat
DSC_0700-large.jpg

Eroded zigzag path up steep west side (not recommended by WH)
DSC_0701-large.jpg

My better half reminded me that today's walk was meant to be on the level so we turned away from the path up and followed the path that heads back to the car park on the hidden side of the crags. I'd been up Arthur's Seat before so didn't mind too much and made a mental note to return. 8)

DSC_0702-large.jpg

DSC_0703-large.jpg

Jack having a wallow in pool in area known as Hunter's Bog
DSC_0706-large.jpg

Two years later and we're back in Auld Reekie for the birth of our eleventh grandchild - a beautiful little girl who arrived with a bang on Fireworks Night. :D We'd been spending time doing stuff with her 2 year old brother but on this occasion we were out with just the dogs so I suggested a return to Holyrood Park. This time we took the less steep approach from Queen's Drive on the east side of the hill.

Hazy view south to Pentlands from Queen's Drive
DSC_1930-large.JPG

There's a parking area (which we didn't use) near Dunsapie Loch and several grassy paths start uphill opposite the loch.

Dunsapie Loch
DSC_1934-large.JPG

Summit from gentler east side
DSC_1935-large.JPG

This was easy walking uphill but a lady coming downhill towards us had an unscheduled sit down when her feet went from under her. :oops:

Sunshine on Leith
DSC_1936-large.JPG

There's a level area before the final steep push where visitors from the Far East were tucking into noodles for lunch so I put the dogs on lead incase it occurred to them to offer to join in. :shifty:

DSC_1957-large.JPG

The path up the steep section is like a stone staircase in places and there's a metal chain hand rail which will be useful when it's icy. Nearer the top there are several paths to choose from and we ended up on a slightly scrambly one on the west side so didn't go down that way. :wink:

View west from near top
DSC_1948-large.JPG

Rocky summit
DSC_1947-large.JPG

It was busy and we had to wait our turn to get up to the trig point (as you do on Ben Nevis). The rock is worn smooth with many years of many feet (my uncle carved his initials in the rock as a young lad about 80 years ago but I didn't find them!) and when it's wet care is needed. Jack has 65 Munros and a clutch of Corbetts under his belt and knows exactly what we're doing. He's slowed down a lot this year and has arthritis but was very chuffed to have climbed this hill and sat down at the trig point for me to take his photo. So I couldn't disappoint the old boy! :wink:

Jack sitting on Arthur's Seat
DSC_1950-large.JPG

Surveying his kingdom towards Musselburgh and Firth of Forth
DSC_1949-large.JPG

Path down towards steep section
DSC_1952-large.JPG

Zoomed to level spot where Pete got chatting to a lovely couple from Singapore who asked him to take their photo
DSC_1955-large.JPG

Grassy slope down to Loch Dunsapie with an ancient fort on the crag above
DSC_1963-large.JPG

Swans, mallards and gulls on the loch
DSC_1970-large.JPG

DSC_1966-large.JPG

It didn't take long but was a fabulous way to celebrate the birth of our newest grandchild. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Celebrating new arrival on Arthur's Seat

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:54 am

Congratulations on the arrival of your new Granddaughter, 11? Jeezo how do you find time for the lovely walks you do and the reports!! :shock: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:00 am

Very nice pictures; I love that about Edinburgh ~ a big area of wild land right in the city. You can have a good walk in the countryside without being miles away in the wilds. Interesting history too, one of the lochs was found to contain hundreds of Bronze Age artefacts; swords, axe-heads, etc. These can be seen in the National Museum in Chambers Street.

National Museum Edinburgh.jpg
Bronze Age artefacts National Museum of Scotland

p.s. Congratulations on the new grandchild !
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:05 am

Brings back the memories from when i was young, feeding the Pigeons and venturing up Arthurs Seat. Edinburgh is 20 mins from mine but i hardly ever visit it, why do we do that, never visit places on our doorstep :? I'm with Beaner, 11, wow i bet the dogs help keep them all amused. :wink: Thanks for the report and one day you might see a report from me on Arthurs Seat :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby tweedledog » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the report and the lovely pictures. Like you I spent many childhood hours in Princes Street Gardens and also out on Arthur's Seat. My Gran lived in Forrest Rd before it became part of student land. Haven't been up on the Crags in many years. The sight of your dogs enjoying themselves has inspired me to take The Whippet on a visit!
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Congratulations on the arrival of your new Granddaughter, 11? Jeezo how do you find time for the lovely walks you do and the reports!! :shock: :clap:

Thanks Beaner. Yes 11 does sound a lot - how did that happen? :lol:

I think the combination of a 91 year old mum, 11 grandkids and the occasional hill gives a perfect balance. You'll see the older ones appearing in reports from time to time - such a privilege to see them enjoying the hills too! But think it'll be a while before I have these two girlies out - one nearly 4 months old and the other just a few days. :D

DSC_1973-large.JPG
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Congratulations on the new granddaughter, and thanks for these great pics - its years since I've been on Arthur's seat - I'd forgotten what a stunning place it is, all the more so for being in the city :D :D

(The granddaughters and their gran look pretty good too :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:05 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Very nice pictures; I love that about Edinburgh ~ a big area of wild land right in the city. You can have a good walk in the countryside without being miles away in the wilds. Interesting history too, one of the lochs was found to contain hundreds of Bronze Age artefacts; swords, axe-heads, etc. These can be seen in the National Museum in Chambers Street.

Museum on Chambers Street was another favourite haunt as a kid. Full of mazing things and it was free! :clap:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Brings back the memories from when i was young, feeding the Pigeons and venturing up Arthurs Seat. Edinburgh is 20 mins from mine but i hardly ever visit it, why do we do that, never visit places on our doorstep :? I'm with Beaner, 11, wow i bet the dogs help keep them all amused. :wink: Thanks for the report and one day you might see a report from me on Arthurs Seat :shock:

I'm not a city person but always had a soft spot for Edinburgh and have still to explore the Pentlands - when I get a minute away from the grandkids! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:29 am

tweedledog wrote:Thanks for the report and the lovely pictures. Like you I spent many childhood hours in Princes Street Gardens and also out on Arthur's Seat. My Gran lived in Forrest Rd before it became part of student land. Haven't been up on the Crags in many years. The sight of your dogs enjoying themselves has inspired me to take The Whippet on a visit!

Ah the nostalgia..... yes go on, the whippet would love it! :D
dogplodder

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Lovely report and congratulations on the latest arrival! :clap:

Our capital city is so lucky to have this beating heart within it. Many years since I have been up there but was a regular in my student days and the years after that when I lingered in Edinburgh! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Congratulations on your precious new arrival and what better way to celebrate. Looks like the perfect day for it, your photos are lovely and crisp and the views are terrific for the centre of Edinburgh
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:50 pm

Lovely clear images across Edinburgh DP and congratulations on the new arrival.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:22 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Congratulations on the new granddaughter, and thanks for these great pics - its years since I've been on Arthur's seat - I'd forgotten what a stunning place it is, all the more so for being in the city :D :D

(The granddaughters and their gran look pretty good too :lol:

You're too kind. :lol:

Now let's see what the old gran is looking like in the photos from today! :oops:
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 pm

dogplodder wrote:Now let's see what the old gran is looking like in the photos from today! :oops:

Pretty good really :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland