walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Glow and Dumglow

Loch Glow and Dumglow

Postby Graeme D » Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumglow

Date walked: 08/05/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Really just a Saturday afternoon stroll with the dog this one!

Lucy was distinctly whiffy and in need of a bath, so rather than the usual options, I suggested we head for Loch Glow. Having grown up in Dunfermline, I knew that nearby Loch Fitty was a popular angling location, but I didn't realise that Loch Glow was equally popular for the same reason.

We headed down the M90 and parked at the end of the track heading to Loch Glow from the back road to Cleish. As we approached the Loch, we could tell that there were a lot of people around from the number of cars and even a coach in the parking area. I wondered if the coach was a downmarket version of the Lochs and Glens tour coaches you regularly see on the roads of Scotland! :lol: It was quickly dawning on me however, that the place was going to be crawling with anglers, and right enough, the edge of the water was lined with them.....not to mention their paraphenalia and no shortage of empty Carlsberg and Stella Artois cans. Oh well, if the fish aren't biting, what can you do to pass the time!

I have to say that some of them were distinctly shifty looking but I enjoyed some crack with some of them (discussing the catch - or lack of it - and the football results blaring out of transistor radios). Debbie even remarked something about me reverting back to some kind of foreign sounding Fifer accent which too many years spent in Edinburgh and Perth and her best efforts have tended to smooth over! :lol:

Anyway, we eventually got beyond all the fishermen and Lucy had her opportunity to get off the lead and take a bath in the Loch, before we headed along the dry stane dyke leading from the head of the loch to the Black Loch and then up the short climb onto Dumglow. Although a little hazy for the camera to pick out in much detail, the views were pretty decent across the Forth Valley, the Firth of Forth and north east over Loch Leven and Kinross.

To return, we more or less retraced our steps back down to the head of the loch and back past the now even more inebriated anglers. :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_3670.jpg
Loch Glow and Dumglow

IMG_3672.jpg
Heading for the Black Loch

IMG_3673.jpg
The Black Loch

IMG_3674.jpg
Knock Hill - Black Loch in front, the Forth behind

IMG_3675.jpg
Loch Glow

IMG_3677.jpg
Loch Leven and the Lomond Hills from Dumglow

IMG_3680.jpg
To the Ochils and the Forth Valley - Wallace Monument just about visible in the centre of the picture
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Loch Glow and Dumglow

Postby kevsbald » Sun May 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Debbie looked lost.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Play2End » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm

I did this walk today setting off from the layby on the access road. The loch was as still as it could possibly be and the weather was calm and dry. But, for any future walkers may I suggest that the route up Dumglow be followed by the north bank of the Loch. It was so muddy and awful on the south bank not a pleasant walk at all to the forest. But on the return the north bank of the loch was easy going as well as a wee bit shorter. There is a footbridge over the weir that can not be seen from the route to the south of the loch but is in good order and assists in the path to the forest.
There is some litter all round the loch but no more than is on any other walk or road side layby.
Oh, by the way the views are extensive from the trig point!
Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

Postby AlisonFox66 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:31 pm

I remember this walk as having unusual litter on it

A pair of pants left on a rock
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm

I just logged on and saw a TR entitled "Loch Glow and Dumglow". Wow, I thought. You don't see many of those on here. In fact, I don't recall seeing even the merest mention of this one in dispatches since my report on it from over two and a half years ........ Wait a minute! It is my aforementioned report. One and the same! Well, I admit I do sometimes spend an idle moment or two on this site revisiting one or other of my old reports that I haven't looked at in a while, but I really don't recall looking back at this one at all. Ever. That certainly gave me a nice little unexpected wander down memory lane. As for the pants left on the rock, well I did say that some of those anglers looked a little shifty! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby redvark » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 am

no anglers when I did this at the weekend, the south shore is a bit tiresome underfoot so may return with the dogs and try the north shore. An alternate descent is eastwards through the trees (basically along the firebreak on the map) which is less traumatic than you might think and then up and over the highest of the Inneans and Dummilarline hill fort to the road and back to the car
redvark
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:90   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland