walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Traffic jams on Meikle Bin

Traffic jams on Meikle Bin

Postby Jaywizz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 16/11/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 397m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The fog had been thick in the Forth valley, but as I drove along the Carron reservoir, the air was clear, the sun shining, not a breath of wind - I was looking forward to a solitary walk up the hill.
Meikle Bin 2.jpg

After parking at Todholes, the first hint that this walk might not be 'solitary' was on the gate.
Notice 2.jpg

With not a sound to break the silence, I persuaded myself that any vehicles must be in another part of the forest - however, after crossing the Carron, as the track steepened towards the west, I became aware of a low rumbling behind me. Five Landrovers slowly rumbled past - then another five - then another five. The inevitable outcome - a traffic jam at the end of the track!
Traffic jam 2.jpg

There was a good deal of banter that I had 'overtaken' the stationary vehicles, and it was great to see so many of the drivers and their passengers leave their vehicles and walk to the summit.
10C Top car park.jpg

The views were so superb it was enjoyable to share the experience. To the north and west, so many peaks were standing out so clearly - and I hoped many hillwalkers were having a great day on those.
Trig point 2.jpg

Apparently there were 40 - 50 Land Rovers on this meet, and without exception, all drivers were courteous and friendly.
Over the last week, I had decided not to post reports on my short walks as I try to regain some fitness, but this was such an unusual experience, I thought it merited a mention. Future hillwalks in the east should be quieter - the next Land Rover meet is on Army ground at Garelochhead.
Jaywizz
Munro compleatist

Munros:237   Corbetts:32
Grahams:70   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Traffic jams on Meikle Bin

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:33 pm

Looks a lovely walk despite all the land rovers. It isn't too far from me and it is one of those hills I keep saying I will do but never get round to. We headed off for a shorter walk near Rumbling Bridge and it was a very thick fog so you headed in the right direction for views.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Traffic jams on Meikle Bin

Postby robertphillips » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:56 pm

well done jay great wee hill this, busy back in the summer when we done it.
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:405   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland