walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - the wee nutter...

Ben Vane - the wee nutter...

by 2manyYorkies » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 16/11/2014

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 930m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Vane - the wee nutter...

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 am

Cracking day for a great hill. :D
Absolutely stunning photos! :clap: :clap:
Looking at your early photo of Loch Lomond from the car park at Inveruglas, I'm sure we (Flump and myself) were sat having our breakfast at the picnic tables, whilst you stopped to click away!
We did Ime and Narnain before Vane, so didn't see you again.
It was quite a toughie at the top! :shock:
It was a belter of a day though, a nice end to autumn!
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby lairdoharray » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for these excellent photos. I saw none of the views when I was there in September: the curse of the Arrochar Alps struck again. I have only ever had one clear day, for my second climb of Ben Narnain in November (2008), interestingly. Hope you have a productive New Year!
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

Postby BertvdBeu » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:19 am

I like the photos. Autumn on its best.
By reading your report it's sure you enjoyed the walk.

A pitty I live at the other side of the 'water', so it takes a lot of effort before getting to this beautiful area.
BertvdBeu
Munro compleatist

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:52 am

The Road to Ben Insane3.jpg

Stunning photos of some of the aspects of my favourite mountain in the Arrochars Alps. :clap: You obviously have some good camera equipment, know how to use it to best effect and obviously have an 'eye' to produce some stunning shots of the fantastic views from this 'little' munro. Well Done!

Your shot of the three lochs ..Loch Lomond, Loch Arklett and Loch Katrine is probably my favourite shot from your report. You must have a very good telescopic lens to capture that one?

I'm also glad to see you have described Ben Vane in a nutshell .....'the wee nutter'. :-) It may be the smallest Munro of the group at 915m, but for me it's the 'jewel in the crown' of the Arrochar Alps due to it's rugged character and five false summits to play with the minds of the first timers who think it's an easy walk.

I've already been up it at least 6 times this year. Sideways from the Loch Soy Dam, front side straight up past the cave and I still haven't finished with it yet.

It's the 'pocket battleship' of the Arrochars :lol: In fact you'll see from my 2013 walk report on this mountain those who survived the battle in extremely hot weather conditions renamed it Ben Insane :crazy: ...which on reflection I thought was very appropriate as I'm sure you will agree after your experience.

The boggy start always gets people going but once passed that it just gets better and better. :)

I have managed to catch some excellent snaps from it's heights by just using my mobile phone and often wished I had a good camera which you obviously have to really do the views justice.

Luckily I'm only an hour from Glasgow by Citylink ...so it's more or less in my back yard and I'm in the Alps every weekend doing one or the other from the group and introducing newbies to the delights of hillwalking in this area, of which there are many.

But I always tell them Ben Vane or Ben Insane as I call it ...is my favourite and now you know why :-)

You've done the views from it justice with your superb photography ...so well done again. :clap:

Have a drink on me and enjoy the memories of a small mountain with a huge personality :)

Apache Rock10.jpg

Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

Postby sebastian1976 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:38 pm

nice pictures! good stuff!
sebastian1976
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Janewoodedi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Superb photos and a great report which I've just read on returning from a bitterly cold bagging of Ben Vane so was keen to see what it could look have looked like!
Janewoodedi
Mountaineer

Munros:177   

Postby CaledonianCalm » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Love this review. I am 5’2 and it felt like, what us Scots call square go’s! She almost kick my butt.. :crazy: scrambling and a wee bit wobbly at bits. I held my own and conquered this little radge! I mean ridge!! Or do I? This is not a hill walk defo a climb!
CaledonianCalm
Wanderer

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:26

Postby Andrew D Scrimgeour » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Great photos and description of your day up there. Its a fine part of the world
Andrew D Scrimgeour
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:30
Fionas:1   
Islands:9

39 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland