walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Outstanding Kintail views on perfect November day

Outstanding Kintail views on perfect November day

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:08 am

Route description: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Date walked: 18/11/2014

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have to confess that until a few days ago the lovely Corbett Sgurr Mhic Bharraich wasn't on my radar. In fact I wasn't aware of it at all and it's only looking back at photos from previous walks I can now identify it.

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich (centre stage) from Sgurr Fhuaran on Sisters ridge
DSC02218-largest.jpg

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich (left) from Meallan Odhar
DSC_0547-large.jpg

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich from The Saddle summit (top right)
DSC_0569-largec.jpg

The original plan was to climb Sgurr an Airgid from Morvich but the day the weather looked best Moira wasn't free. I knew Moira was keen to do SaA so wanted to leave it for when she could join us, which is what led me to Sgurr Mhic Bharraich.

I met Roger and Liz (aka Huff n Puff) in Inverness and travelled with them which was great for me not to have to concentrate on driving down the A82, potentially getting stuck behind a slow lorry - which at one point we did! Once through Glen Shiel we watched out for the shop in Shiel Bridge, looked at it and decided that wasn't right, turned left on to the Glenelg road and then realised we should have turned left at the shop. Got ourselves duly parked by the camp site (not a soul about) and were soon on our way except in my enthusiasm to get going I crossed the bridge and had to be called to heel by Roger. :roll:

Minor road before turning left to follow a path round the camp site
DSC_1976-large.JPG

Path at this point follows close to the Allt Undulain
DSC_1977-large.JPG

DSC_1980-large.JPG

Loch Duich in morning light
DSC_1981-largec.JPG

The Saddle
DSC_1983-large.JPG

We noticed what looked like the old stalker's path going off to the right but kept on the main track so can corroborate that it's not well drained and on the return avoided it. Liz was having problems with her poles so Roger stopped to help. Then she had to remove a stone from her sock so I found myself ahead as the path crossed a bridge over the stream running through a rocky gorge. Roger soon reappeared, then I heard Liz talking away but couldn't see her. It was a bit strange as we'd seen no sign of life since we left Inverness. :eh:

She wasn't in fact talking to herself but to a friendly guy who had caught up while she was dealing with the rogue stone. I didn't get his name but he had fairly recently moved up from Yorkshire to live and work in the Kintail area and is so far loving it - especially his proximity to the hills when he's not working and the kids are at school! :wink:

Sgurr an Airgid bathed in morning sunshine and Liz chatting with fellow Walkhighlander
DSC_1986-largec.JPG

Gleann Undalainn
DSC_1987-largec.JPG

Where a small cairn appears you continue on the main path to the right and climb more steeply. Gradually the Five Sisters raise their heads over the ridge between and keep a watchful eye on you right up to the summit.

Kintail Sisters appearing over the ridge of Biod an Fhithich
DSC_1989-large.JPG

The path is part of an ancient route to Glenelg and we noticed a cairn on the right which indicated where to launch off to cross the pathless terrain up the side of our hill. But I was keen to see Loch Coire nan Crogachan close up so we stayed on the path as far as the loch.

Loch Coire nan Crogachan
DSC_1990-large.JPG

We then took a line up to the ridge aiming to the right of a craggy section.

View back to loch and Skye appearing
DSC_1992-large.JPG

Once on the ridge it was easier walking and there was an intermittent path skirting a boggy area and over a few lumps and bumps before the final rise to the summit.

Summit ridge
DSC_1993-large.JPG

The wind at the top was cold but the sun shone and the views were spectacular.

View west from summit
DSC_1994-large.JPG

Beinn Sgritheall with Sleat and Rum showing through the gap
DSC_1996-largec.JPG

Cuillin ridge on Skye
DSC_1995-largec.JPG

View north to Torridon and Achnashellach
DSC_1998-largec.JPG

Hills of Applecross
DSC_1999-largec.JPG

Loch Shiel
DSC_1997-largec.JPG

Lumpy summit area and Biggles contemplating
DSC_2003-large.JPG

Rainbow over A' Ghlas-bheinn
DSC_2008-largec.JPG

We tucked ourselves out of the worst of the wind, had one of the most scenic summit lunches I've had for a while and discussed the options for the descent. The recommended WH route is shorter and more direct but sounded less enjoyable so we decided to return by the outward route with a slight variation on the descent to the lochan. As we walked back along the ridge Roger kept us entertained with his chat about men in the 18th century wearing high heeled shoes with red heels. :shifty:

Seemingly King Louis XIV of France was 5ft 4ins tall, which was slightly below average and a king being slightly shorter than average wasn’t ideal for his ego, so Louis took measures to make himself look taller, sporting four inch heels. Eventually, he switched to having red heels on all his shoes and decreed that only the upper echelons of society could have matching red heels. What's more these high heeled shoes had no shank so men were tripping around on the balls of their feet with no support which must have produced strong calf muscles and a peculiar gait. It's amazing what you learn 700m up! :lol:

Kintail Sisters in the afternoon sun
DSC_2012-largec.JPG

Good path
DSC_2014-largec.JPG

It was a perfect hill for a shorter day and we were able to relax, take our time and enjoy the beautiful surroundings before getting back to Inverness in good time for tea.

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich means "Peak of the son of Maurice" which struck a chord with me as my father in law's name was Maurice and I wished his son (my Pete) could have climbed it with me. But since major surgery earlier this year walking of this kind is out for him and I'm so grateful for the way he encourages me to get out in the hills with others even though he himself can no longer come.

Son of Maurice on Beinn Liath Mhor - the last Munro we did together :wave:
DSC02418-large.jpg
Last edited by dogplodder on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:235   Corbetts:62
Grahams:18   
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Re: Outstanding Kintail views on perfect November day

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 am

Good to see the views from this hill. I didn't see much when i walked it :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:208
Grahams:163   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:290   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:06 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good to see the views from this hill. I didn't see much when i walked it :)

Johnny I've just read your report and see what you mean! :lol:

You'll have to go back - it's worth it! :D
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks for writing the walk report - you've captured a great day really well. I love the photos taken from other summits too. :D

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich is a fantastic vantage point for the west end of Glen Sheil and across to the Knoydart, Skye, Applecross, Torridon as well as Kintail itself. Can't recommend this cracking corbett enough :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:18
Grahams:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Thanks for writing the walk report - you've captured a great day really well. I love the photos taken from other summits too. :D

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich is a fantastic vantage point for the west end of Glen Sheil and across to the Knoydart, Skye, Applecross, Torridon as well as Kintail itself. Can't recommend this cracking corbett enough :clap: :clap:

I'm looking forward to reading your take on the day! But if you don't plan to post your own report please add some of your pics on here. With your more powerful camera you'll have got some zoomed shots I couldn't get and I'd love to see them. What a glorious day it was! :D
dogplodder

Postby scottishkennyg » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:18 pm

Cracking day there, reflected by the excellent images of the surroundings.. :clap:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Great views. Hope son of Maurice is alright.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:119   Corbetts:62
Grahams:28   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Silverhill » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:47 pm

That looks like a great hill, now added to my list! I just can’t believe this weather! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:12
Grahams:6   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:23   

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:05 am

What a lovely photo of Pete on your last Munro together, looks like he's holding aloft the Scottish Cup :lol: :clap:
I really need to get a trip to Kintail......... :?
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:53 am

scottishkennyg wrote:Cracking day there, reflected by the excellent images of the surroundings.. :clap:

MWIS said "persistent haze" so we were delighted with the visibility! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:22 am

litljortindan wrote:Great views. Hope son of Maurice is alright.

He's doing well thanks but has been left unable to tackle this length of walk. :?
dogplodder

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:35 pm

A few more photos: :lol: :lol: (Tried to avoid duplications - but the views were stunning that day it's difficult not to add yet another photo of the Sisters :lol: :lol: )

Early morning at the start

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich from the camp site

Early morning and the Forcan Ridge

Kathleen

Fellow walkers

Cuillins from Loch Coire nan Crogachan

Ladhar Bheinn

The sisters again

Bertie not wanting to be in another summit pic!

Looking south to the Loch Quoich and Glengarry hills

Bertie and the sisters

Sisters close up and cosy

End of day
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:18
Grahams:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Silverhill wrote:That looks like a great hill, now added to my list! I just can’t believe this weather! :D

We must enjoy it while it lasts! :D
dogplodder

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Fantastic photos and report. Yes, this one too is high on my list so I'll take your advice on the route. I think I may do Sgurr an Airgid first though as the days are so short now.

What fabulous hill days we've all had in the last couple of weeks - it's such a pleasure catching up on the reports :D
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Grahams:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Emmanuelle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Splendid report and splendid photos. Loved the photo of the lochan. Did you have a swim? Beinn Sgritheall looked stunning too :lol:

I recommend the Met Office forecasts - hour by hour and quite accurate I find. They produce them for some of the hills - which is really helpful.

Speedy recovery to Pete.
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:61
Grahams:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:4   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland