walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Windy Beinn na Lap

A Windy Beinn na Lap

Postby seamus0 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 14/11/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was the beginning of a weekend trip at the YHA at Loch Ossian. I took the sleeper train from Crianlarich on Friday morning to arrive at Corrour station at 9am, apparently the most remote train station in the UK and famed for Trainspotting.
IMGP1928.jpg
Corrour Station

The folks on the train must have thought I was mad. It was dark, wet and windy. When I stood on the platform I could hardly stand up with the strength of the wind. I had 2 packs to carry to the YHA which (thankfully) was only a 20min walk across the tracks. However when I arrived it was all closed up, so word hadn't been passed I was arriving early.

IMGP5441.jpg
Loch Ossian YHA when I got back down

So with the bad weather I wasn't planning to do much on the Friday, however now that there was not really any shelter, I decided to drop my bags off here and head up Beinn na Lap which was literally the other side of the Loch. It was wet and windy, there's not really a lot more to say about this hill.
IMGP1930.jpg
A blustery Loch Ossian

After 1.5 hrs of walking against the wind uphill in the rain by the time I got to the top, I couldn't stand up with the ferocity of the wind. I managed to get some shelter in a small walled shelter before the wee lochan to have a couple of mins rest of the horizontal rain and battering I was getting. Here's a wee video of near the bottom of the mountain:

I walked on further for another 10 mins, and parts of the top become a bit slabby so fell on my arse a few times being blown over, but eventually got to the top. Hadnt experienced wind like that in a while!

IMGP1947.jpg
Top of Beinn Na Lap

As soon as I got there I skidadeled back down as fast as I could given the conditions. Not the most enjoyable of hills I've climbed, maybe I'll do it again under better conditions!

Luckily by the time I got down again, the warden had arrived 10mins earlier so could get dried off in the YHA and wait for the rest of the group to arrive. The rest of the weekend was a complete contrast with fantastic clear evenings, sunsets and lovely weather. The next day did Sgor Gaibhre and Carn Dearg in much more favourable conditions.
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: A Windy Beinn na Lap

Postby dawnfoth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 pm

..... and an Irish accent we can understand :wink: Looked very unpleasant. :lol: Glad the rest of your weekend went well. :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland