walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Two Noses of Fuar Tholl

The Two Noses of Fuar Tholl

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 15/11/2014

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 975m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2014-11-15 Fuar Tholl via ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Time: 8 hours 12 mins
Walking: 4 hours 45 mins
Stopped: 3 hours 27 mins

I was up Fuar Tholl almost a year ago and had to deal with poor visibility, the raging burn full of snow-melt and cornices! What a difference a year makes. I vowed then I would go back to get the views and what a perfect day I chose for it. Last year I went up and down the scree path on the east side of the Mainreachan Buttress and was always intrigued by the Leth Creag (the east ridge) ascent, so, after reading Malky_c's account of it I decided to give it a go on this fine day. Malky stated there was only a little easy scrambling and one small area of exposure.

Fuar Tholl from the path above Achnashellach station.
ImageFuar Tholl by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I parked at Achnashellach and was ready to go shortly after daylight. I was worried about crossing the burn but it was easy due to the weir which required only one foot to be placed in the water - people with long legs may even be able to jump across. Then it was free ranging up the hillside. There is a fence marked on the 25k map but some of it has disintegrated so no problems there.

The weir which makes an easy river crossing. It might be a different story if the burn was in spate.
ImageFuar Tholl-2 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The views opened up as I gained height and without too much ado I was at the foot of the corrie (no name on the map but its entrance is at the top of Sgurr a'Mhuillinn).

Entering the corrie with the South Cliffs on the left.
ImageFuar Tholl-3 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

I hadn't downloaded Malky's route and wasn't sure if I should go up by the side of the burn or take a sharp right (north) and gain the ridge that way. The deer paths went both ways so guessed I could get onto the ridge whichever way I went. I decided on the latter which was steep and grassy but soon got me up onto the East Ridge. I never thought of going to the 'tip' of the nose as all my concentration was on getting up the ridge - it didn't look too bad but there is a certain amount of frission as ahead lies the unknown :lol:

On the ridge - doesn't look bad at all!
ImageFuar Tholl-4 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Wider angle. There were lots of planes flying overhead and you can just make out the moon above the South Cliffs. A fantastic day to be out in the hills.
ImageFuar Tholl-5 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Near the top (at 840m) there is a little scrambling and one very short exposed bit which is about 60cm wide with a sheer drop on one side and a steep grassy slope on the other. On a calm day such as I had it was nothing but wouldn't like to be on it on a windy or gusty day. I took some photos of my boots standing on the narrow bit but when I looked at the photos you can make no sense of them out of context!

I tried to photograph the exposed section. This side is a steep grassy slope and the other side is a drop.
ImageFuar Tholl-6 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Back to the scrambly exposed section. The wee lochan right of centre is the same one in the corrie shown in photo No3.
ImageFuar Tholl-7 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Then it was no distance at all up to the summit plateau. What amazing views opened up. I could see all around - even Clisham on Harris stood out and An Teallach to the north. As the sun was low the south-west it was more difficult to distinguish the hills in Glen Sheil etc.

At the wee cairn to indicate the start of the descent (I presume). The top bit of the ridge is fairly narrow but not at all scary. You can see the south Achnashellach hills across the glen.
ImageFuar Tholl-8 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The Mainreachan Buttress and Creag Mainreachan in the mid-foreground with An Ruadh-stac and Maol Chean-dearg in the mid-distance. The Cuillin and Beinn Bhan form the backdrop with the Storr just peeking out on the right.
ImageFuar Tholl-9 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Maol Chean-dearg dominates the view and you can see all its complexity from here. In my experience it's a much nicer hill to look at than it is to climb! (I'll have to give it a go from the Torridon side though.)
ImageFuar Tholl-10 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The summit shelter from the top of the South Cliffs.
ImageFuar Tholl-12 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Looking over to the ridge of ascent with the notch and sheer drop over to the right where the vertical shadow is.
ImageFuar Tholl-13 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Glen Carron and Loch Dughaill with the south Achnashellach hills behind.
ImageFuar Tholl-14 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Maol Chean-dearg, Beinn Damh, Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Sgorr Ruadh. In the background are north Skye and Harris with Clisham clearly the highest hill on the island.
ImageFuar Tholl-16 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Selfie beside the summit shelter! The whole ridge of Beinn Liath Mhor is across Coire Lair. Beinn Alligin, Liathach, Beinn Eighe, Slioch, An Teallach and some of the Fisherfield hills are all visible.
ImageFuar Tholl-29 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Lochcarron and Loch Carron. You can see Rum on the right and Bein Sgritheall to the left (amongst others)!
ImageFuar Tholl-18 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Sgorr Ruadh is right of centre with Liathach behind.
ImageFuar Tholl-19 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

As I was eating my lunch in the summit shelter I heard some voices and Iain and Claire from Inverness appeared. They had come up by the Buttress and left their packs at the top of the scree path. We had a good chat and I was to see them again later.

I wanted to walk the whole ridge this time and take in all the views of the near-by hills.

The Buttress from the bealach. You can just see the tiny figure on the top next to the cairn.
ImageFuar Tholl-20 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Meall nan Ceapairean and An Ruadh-Stac with the Applecross hills behind. Cuillin to the left and Sgurr a' Gharaidh is the bump in front. You can just see Beinn a'Chlachain to the very right (where I was the previous week) behind the lower top of Beinn Bhan.
ImageFuar Tholl-21 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

At the top of the Buttress I came upon Iain and Claire having lunch and I remembered to ask them about crossing the River Lair further down. They had to go up to the island and said it was very slippery but they did not have walking poles and I did, so I reckoned I would manage fine - hah!

Better view of Sgorr Ruadh from the west side of the Buttress. You can see the path far below.
ImageFuar Tholl-22 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Creag Mainnrichean is the third top of Fuar Toll.
ImageFuar Tholl-23 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Back to the Mainreachan Buttress from the west side. You can see the side of Beinn Liath Mhor reflected in Loch Coire Lair.
ImageFuar Tholl-24 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The descent from Creag Mainnrichean was very steep but there is a good path for the tricky bits and the remainder is loose quartzite. The young ones overtook me at the top so there were some good photo opportunities of them descending.

Iain and Claire starting the descent. Loch Coire Fionnaraich below Maol Chean-dearg.
ImageFuar Tholl-25 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Almost down to the lochans and then the path. This bit was steep quartzite scree. Yuck!
ImageFuar Tholl-26 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

Once down at the lochans it was then just a matter of making a bee-line for the main path and the descent into Coire Lair.

Back at the path above Loch Coire Lair. Beinn Liath Mhor across Coire Lair.
ImageFuar Tholl-27 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

The river crossing was not as easy as I'd hoped. I did go up to the island but the rocks were all slime covered and extremely slippery. Even with two walking poles great care was required - how I&C crossed without poles I don't know as they were long gone by the time I got there. Anyway, I got across without falling in but it was with great relief that I was on dry land again :lol:

I kept looking back at the Beinn Liath Mhor ridge - it's a really fabulous hill and although I've been up it twice already I'm already planning a third trip in a clockwise direction.

Beinn Liath Mhor in the late afternoon sun.
ImageFuar Tholl-28 by anniesmountains, on Flickr

As for Fuar Tholl, I'll be back to this one too - it's just too great a hill to stay away from!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: The Two Noses of Fuar Tholl

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Beautiful report and photos. These Torridon hills are currently top of my to do list - just watching the weather for another wonderful autumn day and we'll be across!

Many thanks for all the advice on the route :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby simon-b » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 pm

A superb looking mountain, Annie. You picked a day with some tremendous views. The Mainreachan Buttress looked awesome when I saw it from Beinn Liath Mhor for the first time, earlier this year.

A magnificent area with some of the best scenery you'll see anywhere.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:27 pm

I never tire of looking at pictures of Fuar Tholl and the surrounding landscape. A fantastic hill and part of one of my most memorable ever hill days. Excellent report too! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kev_russ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Braw :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:02 am

Super pics Annie, really show the character of the area. Well done :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 pm

One of my fav Corbetts, I keep saying I'll be back to do it again yet always end up doing something else :lol: :lol:
Fantastic views, Torridon at its best is simply stunning.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 pm

Gle mhath ...and good photos ,first one of Maol Ceann Dearg is a belter :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland