walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog 1 Camera 0 on Meall Chuaich

Bog 1 Camera 0 on Meall Chuaich

Postby Joey » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 23/11/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Drinking in the morning sun, blinking in the morning sun, shaking off a heavy one.....ah Elbow. Fabulous. Yes, that was me on Sunday morning. Sun streaming through the window, rousing me from a weird dream and into the fog of a hangover. I lay in bed trying to decide whether to spend the day slobbing around in my dressing gown, swearing never to drink again, or get out for some fresh air. I chose the latter, pushed the other half out of bed and quickly ran round the house like a dervish getting our stuff together. A quick plan was formed - head off down to do Meall Chuaich as Peter hadn't done it before and it's relatively short and easy (he is knocking on a bit after all...), and then swing in to the Mountain Cafe on the way home for some post hangover, post walking nosh. It was already half nine in the morning, so no time to spare the horses. Only we forgot about the average speed cameras :( so a steady pace was set and we parked up in a busy layby 94 by 10.30. The day was as beautiful in Dalwhinnie as when we left Inverness. Coldish, but sunny and not a drop of wind. This weekend last year I was skiing in the Cairngorms :lol:

We climbed the gate and set off at a good pace along the track and we were soon at the left hand path to start the climb. The last time I did this hill it was pretty easy to negotiate the bogs, but this time round, it was a complete bog fest. We hopped, skipped, jumped, pole-vaulted :lol:, cursed and slipped our way up the shoulder, stopping frequently to take photo's of the stunning views opening up behind us towards Loch Ericht and Ben Alder. The colours were stunning. Hard to believe we were nearing the end of November. We continued the climb - the going now a bit dryer - out of puff and dehydrated, enjoying the grouse jumping out here and there. Time for some fluids and scooby snacks. We found a nice boulder to sit on and just sat for about half an hour looking at the scene before us. We are truly blessed to live where we do. Aware of time, we packed our flasks away and continued eastwards towards our goal for the day. The heather soon turned to boulders and it got a bit steep again, so we were soon huffing and puffing once more, but forgot about our sore legs when we spotted a mountain hare, then another, then another! All in their white winter coats (like me, wondering where the flipping snow was), :roll: so very easy to spot.

It was pretty cold by the time we got to the cairn. We'd climbed to the summit with just a fleece on, but once we sat down for our summit lunch, it was time to cover up :D :D Once more fuel was on board, we wandered around the top for ages taking in the most wonderful views all around. This hill might be a bit of a featureless lump, but what it lacks in beauty, it more than makes up for as an excellent viewpoint. Well, when there's not a cloud in sight! :lol:

After a quick time check, and much rolling of the eyes about the boggy return, we decided to head off down the other side of Stac Meall Chuaich, which would take us to the far side of Loch Cuaich. We made our way down to the right of a small stream, and followed it down, stopping every now and then to watch a hare bound around here and there! Love it when the wildlife put on a show for us!! It was pretty steep and we had to hang on to the heather in bits, but it was nice and springy so gave good going - and drier than on the way up! We were down at the bottom before we knew it. By now it was well after three and the sun was getting low. The colours were stunning. I've said that before, I know. But they were. I pulled my camera out of the side pocket of the rucksack to take yet another beautiful photo - but as I did, it flew away into mid air and plopped right into a deep bit of bog. I have no idea how. Sleeve rolled up, face screwed up, I eventually managed to retrieve it, but it was goosed and the memory card corrupted. :( :( :(

Gutted just doesn't cover it. How often do you get up a hill and are gifted a perfect panorama? No cloud, no haze, just clear, crisp Autumn sunshine? Please take my word for it - my photo's would've been shamazing (in the voice of Nicole Scherzinger).

By now in a foul mood, we tramped along, crossing the burn a couple of times and followed the deer fence down to the loch and then through the gate onto the track for the loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong walk back to the car. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( - many have said it before, this is a great wee hill, but biking to the bothy is the way forward. Yes sirree.

Back at the car, despite drowning the camera in a watery peat bog and not having any photo's, we both agreed it was an excellent day out. We'd blown away the hangover, enjoyed some magnificent scenery, saw lots of hares and grouse and got some exercise. A quick u-turn on the A9 and we headed off for Aviemore deciding whether to have the coffee cake or carrot cake. It was a difficult decision let me tell you.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Joey on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Re: Bog 1 Camera 0

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Nice report, shame about the camera :(

One of my favourite hills, but as you say using a bike is the way to make it more fun (sorry Evie :lol: )
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Bog 1 Camera 0

Postby Joey » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice report, shame about the camera :(

One of my favourite hills, but as you say using a bike is the way to make it more fun (sorry Evie :lol: )

The walk back to the car is a killer Martin! Definitely taking the bike next time. It's dead handy when you just want a short, easy day out! Thankfully the camera was due for an upgrade as lens cover was broken, but can't replace the photo's :(
Cheers
Joanne
Joey
Mountain Walker

Re: Bog 1 Camera 0 on Meall Chuaich

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Oh, too bad about your camera :( Your description of the views make up for photos though and look forward to your next hill (with photos)!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Joey » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:56 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Oh, too bad about your camera :( Your description of the views make up for photos though and look forward to your next hill (with photos)!

Thanks! We had a lovely day and my next walk report will be a total photo fest!! As long as I don't drop my new camera in a bog!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby canofirnbru » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:06 am

Good report, not so good about the camera. :(
I never saw a thing from the top of this hill, but It was a good day out all the same. :D
canofirnbru
Hill Bagger

Munros:5   Corbetts:85
Fionas:11   Donalds:24+11
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Islands:6
Walk wish-list

Postby Bruno » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:14 am

Bad luck Joey
I can sympathise. I iost a camera on Sgurr Fhuarail ( Kintail ). It was in a padded camera bag on my rucsack waistbelt. It slipped out the loops and rolled and rolled and rolled like a football into a coire.
Never found it. It`s probably still there.
It`s a real bummer. You simply can`t replace photos. :(
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:29 am

Such a shame about your lost camera, and on such a good day for the photies as well :( as you say a good walk and I'm sure it benefited both of you, bet you don't do that again after the 5th December, new DD laws and all :lol: Sounds a bit of a bog fest both ways at the base of MC. Had you not lost the camera I'm sure you would have picked up the wee Graham opposite Creag Ruach from its NE shoulder :D Decisions now type of camera :crazy:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Joey » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:24 am

canofirnbru wrote:Good report, not so good about the camera. :(
I never saw a thing from the top of this hill, but It was a good day out all the same. :D

Awe, you will have to return on a sunny day!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby Joey » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:33 am

Bruno wrote:Bad luck Joey
I can sympathise. I iost a camera on Sgurr Fhuarail ( Kintail ). It was in a padded camera bag on my rucsack waistbelt. It slipped out the loops and rolled and rolled and rolled like a football into a coire.
Never found it. It`s probably still there.
It`s a real bummer. You simply can`t replace photos. :(
Iain

What a shame Iain, it's so annoying to lose stuff. Especially something as expensive as a camera, plus the photo's in it! New camera now on my Santa list :wink:
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby Joey » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:40 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Such a shame about your lost camera, and on such a good day for the photies as well :( as you say a good walk and I'm sure it benefited both of you, bet you don't do that again after the 5th December, new DD laws and all :lol: Sounds a bit of a bog fest both ways at the base of MC. Had you not lost the camera I'm sure you would have picked up the wee Graham opposite Creag Ruach from its NE shoulder :D Decisions now type of camera :crazy:

Hangover a result of being a lightweight when it comes to alcohol consumption! But yes, need to go ca canny after the 5th! The call of the Mountain Cafe meant there was no way we were picking up the Graham!!
Joey
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland