walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A stunning day but I was so ill-equipped

A stunning day but I was so ill-equipped

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhic Chasgaig, Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Chasgaig

Date walked: 05/11/2014

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 901m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of those stunning days you long for in the highlands: crystal clear with wall to wall blue sky and just a sprinkling of snow on the highest hills - 1100m + I drove up the A82 from Crianlarich and turned down into Glen Etive - but I had to stop and photograph the Buchaille - how often do you see it like this? Even at 11.00 am the sun was quite low in the sky the light intense, and the shadows almost black
Et01.jpg
The Buchaille from the road junction
I stopped again to shoot Beinn Ceitelin/Stob Dubh,
Et02.jpg
Beinn Ceitlin and Stob Dubh from the Glen Etive road
I parked at the bridge leading to Alltchaorunn, crossed it, followed the boggy path avoiding the cottage and then the stalkers path over the plank bridge and L up through the gorge.
Et04.jpg
Beinn Mhic Chasgaig from the stalkers path
Et04a.jpg
Looking up into the gorge
Et05.jpg
The plank bridge
Et06.jpg
One of many splendid Scots pines in the gorge
Et07.jpg
Looking back down the gorge to the little knob of An Grianan on Beinn Ceitlin
Et07a.jpg
higher up - the long ridge leading up to the Bidean tops
I paused opposite the recommended ascent gully, where a fell runner shot past, but decided the route via the col would be much nicer.
Et08.jpg
and again just beyond the (alternative) ascent gully
Et11.jpg
The path became fainter
Et12.jpg
looking up tp Clach Lleathad from the same point
Et13.jpg
upper fall
I crossed the stream on the slabs above the waterfall.
The 300m ascent to the col was quite steep and seemed endless, but once there it was a very short climb to the summit.
Et14.jpg
Nearing the col
Et15.jpg
A few deer on the other side
Et16.jpg
Creise and Clach Leathad across the col
I had taken 3 hours, but I had stopped to take a lot of photos. The views were stunning with the Ben, Carn Mor Dearg and Aonach Beag peeping over the gap between the Buchaille's twin Munroes, and a touch of snow on Bidean as well.
Et17.jpg
North to the Buchaille and the Ben
Et18.jpg
Buchaille Etive Beag and Sgurr Coire Sgreamhach - part of Bidean
Et19.jpg
Beinn Fhionnlaidh on the L - the sharp peaks must be parts of Beinn a Bheithir
Et19a.jpg
A wider view of the Buchaille with the Ben, Carn Mor Dearg and Aonach Beag behind
Et20.jpg
The summit cairn with Creise behind
The descent of the NE ridge (which is the natural way if you are doing the circuit from Creise) was a real joy and I made it to the river in about 45 minutes.
Et22.jpg
A last look at the Buchaille from level section of the NE ridge
From above it looked as if one could cross where it splits in two - and return on the road - but although there were lots of boulders the gaps between them were wide and I would certainly be well above boot level. Why hadn't I bought my Tevas?
There was plenty of daylight so I decided to press on down the South bank and soon came to a "bucket" crossing with 4 wires stretched across the river. If only I'd had a harness and a couple of krabs it would have been a synch. Another omission :lol:
Instead I had to plough on down. I wasn't too bad for a while, but nearer the car the bank became steeper, the terrain more complex, and the vegetation deeper. I also had to go through a deer fenced plantation climbing over the gates. The 3 Km took an hour and a half and my feet ended just as wet as if I'd waded in the first place! I suspect that descending diagonally left from the foot of the ridge would have been easier, but any route down this side is not recommended. I should have waded the river and sploshed down the road.
Still a truly memorable day out
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: A stunning day but I was so ill-equipped

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Beautiful photos - thanks :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mini1mini2 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:39 am

Crystal clear photos :D Superb day out :clap:
mini1mini2
Mountaineer

Munros:132   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:44 am

That looked like a brilliant day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Superb photies :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland