walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bubba does Ben Insane once again!

Bubba does Ben Insane once again!

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 01/12/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sam and Bubba set of down to Boot Camp after checking the weather forecast was reasonable.

Bubba was keen to introduce Sam to the other side of Boot Camp and the Munros around Loch Sloy, namely Ben Vorlich and Ben Vane.

We arrived at Inveruglas car park around 9.30am. Loch Lomond was as still as a mill pond which is always a good indicator of a good day on the hills. No wind means less potential of wind chill on the trek.

samvanlochlomond1.jpg

We crossed the road to the SSE Hydro and carried on up to the tarmac road which leads up to Loch Sloy and the start of the hill climb.

samvanehydro2.jpg

Bubba points the way to his favourite Munro in the Alps, Ben Vane. A little, pocket battleship of a hill with lots of character in it's five false summits and mini scrambles just before the summit.

The Road to Ben Insane3.jpg

We arrive at the junction which connects the path to and from Glen Loin which leads over to Arrochar an alternate route into and out of the Loch Sloy area of the Arrochar Alps.

samvanesign5.jpg

Sam looks confused as to which direction to take. :crazy:

samsign6.jpg

bootcampsign7.jpg

We start of up Ben Vane across the boggy ground just after the stone bridge.

samvanebuba4.jpg

samvanbubbamud.jpg

samvanebubhunt9.jpg

We had built up a thirst after crossing the boggy section of the climb and reached out for a welcome ale at Apache Rock :lol:

Apache Rock10.jpg

apachesam.jpg

Apache Terminator.jpg

After an ale we carried on up Ben Vane stopping at the cave to enjoy the views across to Loch Lomond , Loch Arklett and Loch Katrine.

Sam claims this piece of rock as his :D Nice choice Sam!

samrock.jpg

Finally we reach the top and the obligatory Boot Camp Saltire is produced and another mountain is claimed for the '45' :D

Ben Insane Saltire.jpg

After some beers at the top to celebrate we head on back down as the wind chill factor had picked up. Bubba does a good impression of the flying Scotsman as he negotiates the chimney.

The Flying Scotsman.jpg

Flying Scotsman Chimney.jpg

We head on back down Ben Insane at rapid pace.

bubwaxdown1.jpg

bubawax2.jpg

Another epic day out at boot Camp down and dusted. :clap:

By Yon Bonnie Banks.jpg
Last edited by Bubba Ribeye on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

Re: Bubba does Ben Insane again!

Postby Bubba Ribeye » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

RTC wrote:"another mountain is claimed for the '45' ". Hardly!
I'll leave others to comment about the beer drinking boasts.

'beer drinking boasts'? Not boast fact :-) Nothing better than having a small beer to wash down the Bubba Q at 3k. :lol:

One bottle of quality ale whilst appreciating the wonderful views and celebrating your efforts to get to the summit always goes down well in my walking book and I'm sure many other 'sensible' hillwalkers that I've met out there in the hills would agree.

I've shared a wee dram from a hip flask on the Needle and on Ime waist deep in snow and watched other hill walking groups celebrate a special moment or occasion after 'bagging' their 1st munro :D

So your right we will leave it for 'others to comment' on having a sensible drink outdoors whilst out for a walk. :clap:

The Spirit of Glenfinnan and the 45' is still alive in the hills today. :lol:

Perhaps you should visit Loch Sheil and the National Trust monument which stands 'loud and proud' at the head of it as a permanent reminder of Scotlands proud history back in 1745. I'm sure you would enjoy it or maybe not :wink:

Hardly? I don't think so. :o

I noticed you mentioned 'hitting' the pub on a few of your posts? Boasts? I don't think so just the 'natural' thing to do after a great day on the hills. :lol:
Bubba Ribeye
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland