walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long hike for a short Hump!

A long hike for a short Hump!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Date walked: 06/12/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15.7 km

Ascent: 645m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weekend of the Mountaineering Club's Christmas Meet had arrived and the weather forecast was pretty lousy to say the least so having arrived early at the great Invergarry Bunkhouse which the club had booked again this year and finding dry conditions meant I had time to do a bit of exploring, so decided to walk West along the length of the Mandally road which heads in the direction of Loch Garry on the South side, after a bit more walking through the trees and along a river bank past some nice looking waterfalls. To cut a long story short, this would make a fine club walk on the Saturday, quiet road walk only taking half an hour and with the forecast of a Westerly wind and rain would mean it would be on our backs on the way back to the Bunkhouse. After meeting up with the rest of the members over a few drinks and having a good nights sleep, breakfast eaten it was time to build up the appetite for the Christmas meal in the evening. There were many options for this walk, a Hump Meall nan Rudhag 446m, Ben Tee the Fairy Hill a Corbett and also another Hump beyond Meall nan Rudhag or just a long walk running parallel on a forest track, the final decision would be made later on depending how wet and windy it was going to be.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
View from the Mandally Road looking North towards a windfarm on the distant hills
2.JPG
After walking the road apptrox 1/2 hour we took the path on our right which took us over a pedestrian bridge. There used to be a vehicular bridge but this was removed some time ago according to the chap who was cleaning up leaves around the last house. Some nice colours seen when we went through the woods towards the bridge
2.JPG
After crossing the bridge you turn left and walk along the riverside there is a wide muddy track on your right. Arriving at one of the waterfalls on the other side of the path.
3.JPG
After passing the waterfalls keep climbing on the West side of the waterfall until you reach this track. This track you would take if you wished to continue walking West to the far end of Loch Garry. At this point the rain was not too heavy but enough to start to dampen any old untreated outer garments or garments requiring a re-proofing. We turned right along this track and we would be looking out for a path/track on out left in about 1k. One thing I have found if your walking with others you can easily miss routes as your not paying as much attention as you should, bearing this in mind I was dtermined this would not happen today and right enough found the ATV track dog legging back towards us up a slope
3.JPG
Heading on up the ATV track into a more dense forestry area. This track would take us around the base of the Hump we were hoping to find. After a fare bit of walking with not much climbing effort we came to the open hillside when it was very noticeable the wind was in our face and the rain was getting slightly heavier. We could see Ben Tee at this point and after a brief discussion decided that if we could only find a way through the trees on our right to gain access to the Hump we were to be happy with our lot. After another 1k of walking we found an open area which went in the direction we wanted to go so we crossed this area where there appeared to be a very feint path to the head of the woods where luckily there was a narrow fire break which you could see Meall nan Rudhag. After a wee break for a cuppa and piece in the shelter of the trees we made a last effort to climb the firebreak, and as soon as we cleared the treeline the wind and rain hit us
4.JPG
Summit photograph and then a rush to get back down knowing that the wind would be on our backs all the way back. Ben Tee in the background
5.JPG
Interesting in a moss filled area
6.JPG
Heading back the way we came at this point, but thinking along the lines of looking into the Lochgarry Hotel for a pint. It had taken us about two hours to the summit, so probably another two to get to the hotel, we had worked hard for it, so deserved it and there was a chance a few more of the club's members would be there anyway
7.JPG
More water in the falls this time, I wonder why!
8.JPG
A nice little copper beech tree
9.JPG
The river Garry near White Bridge. Instead of going back along Mandally road we walked North on the muddy track just at the last house we passed, this took us to White Bridge and then on to the main road going to Glen Shiel from Invergarry. This resulted into a quick visit to the pub and then back to the Bunkhouse for a hot shower. Mission accomplished, all very hungry and ready for our Christmas Meal.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: A long hike for a short Hump!

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Nice one Rod, looked like a nice woodland stroll in fairly miserable conditions :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Martin, it was a fine walk, in fact Next year if we as a club head on up there again we have agreed if the weather is better that is the way to climb Ben Tee. Leave the car at the Bunkhouse, no chance of getting stopped with the new Drink drive laws, so you can enjoy the Friday night. Lots to see along the route :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Nice one Rod and you've remind me I had planned to climb Ben Tee this winter.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Nice one Rod and you've remind me I had planned to climb Ben Tee this winter.

Hi Gordie, but which route? From the NE much longer than the usual way from The South East but using the same approach the East shoulder to the summit. Just hoping next years Christmas Weather is good.so will give it a go then. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:45 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Nice one Rod and you've remind me I had planned to climb Ben Tee this winter.

Hi Gordie, but which route? From the NE much longer than the usual way from The South East but using the same approach the East shoulder to the summit. Just hoping next years Christmas Weather is good.so will give it a go then. :D

Was just going to dump the car at Laggan Locks (any excuse for a wander round the canal to look at the boats) - now I'm checking the map for the route in from the NE..............
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Another good report from you although I don't blame you for heading down quite, I really don't enjoy being out in strong winds especially if there is rain.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby jepsonscotland » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:54 pm

Nice one Rod, pleasant 'easy' one for you! :wink:
Always a shame when weather batters an annual event. :roll:

Maybe next year................
Cheers
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:37 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Nice one Rod, pleasant 'easy' one for you! :wink:
Always a shame when weather batters an annual event. :roll:

Maybe next year................
Cheers
Chris

Hi there Chris nice to hear from you again, Fingers crossed given good weather we will target Ben Tee from the bunkhouse. Great Bunkhouse by the way, highly recommended. The Club is due a good day for their annual Christmas plod :) Hope your keeping well and maybe see you on a hill sometime, would have joined you on the Grey Corries but family commitments I'm afraid, take care, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:59 am

Must keep this in mind for a walk down that way. Looks like you got the last of the rich autumn colours. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:39 pm

dogplodder wrote:Must keep this in mind for a walk down that way. Looks like you got the last of the rich autumn colours. :D

Your right dog plodder, some lovely colours on the walk, especially at entering the woods at the end of Mandally Road. Next time when I'm heading towards Ben Tee I might just take the track before the last house which takes you to the South of the house, not so much climbing, but yet again ight not be as pleasant as you would miss the waterfalls and walking by the riverside. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:52 am

Lovely photos here :D :D - and like Dogplodder will keep this in mind for a trip to the area - thanks to WH I'm building up quite a 'to do' list for this part of the west highlands.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely photos here :D :D - and like Dogplodder will keep this in mind for a trip to the area - thanks to WH I'm building up quite a 'to do' list for this part of the west highlands.

Hi Huff n Puff, if your heading that way, The Invergarry Hostel makes a superb base, nice beds and hot showers and if you forget your towel like I did you can hire one for a £1.00 :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby fergie 611 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Rod, just read your report on the Xmas meet at Invergarry, Sorry to have missed out on the meet, but hope to see you at Corran in January. Hear you did well in raffle. Great report and glad to say that something was done albeit a hump
fergie 611
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:34 pm

fergie 611 wrote:Hi Rod, just read your report on the Xmas meet at Invergarry, Sorry to have missed out on the meet, but hope to see you at Corran in January. Hear you did well in raffle. Great report and glad to say that something was done albeit a hump

I did do well in the raffle, so did a few other well kent names mind you :lol: Great final total raised for Club Funds, hopefully will mean no raise in Club Fees for a while. You missed an excellent Meet Joe, next year you must be better planned, but get your name on the list Fast! to avoid dissapointment. See you at Corran fingers crossed the roads and weather will oblige.
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland