walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Glass and Ben Lawers

Beinn Glass and Ben Lawers

Postby laurawills13 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 17/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Birthday Walk!

Me and my best pal set off on another walk to celebrate my birthday.....

Set off from the car park about 11am ... we heard a taxi driver tell a couple of girls that Ben Lawers was behind Beinn Glass so we set off. It was quite a view up to the summit. There wasnt that many walkers on the way up and we leap forgged a group with a dog (how a dog gets up these hills i never know) The walk up to the 1st gate was ok we had invested in some walking poles this time and found these helped a lot on the walk as it started getting steeper. Noone ever appreciates how hard these climbs are even looking at photos you cant see how rocky the path really is or how steep it climbs.

It was quite sunny so it was t-shirts under our Gilets and a few beads of sweat formed on my head (due to the effects of last night more that likely). We took it at quite a decent pace and were up Beinn Glass in a couple of hours evern walking through a patch of snow which was rather steep and fun to say the least keeping our feet. Took shelter behind a rock at the top (jackets were on at this point as was getting a bit cold and windy). Had a bite to eat and admired the views, it was good to be away from the hustle and bustle of the centre of Glasgow and unbelievably quiet surround by miles and miles of hills. Brilliant.

Looking over to Ben Lawers we did wonder how the heck we were getting up there but we rocked on and down towards it. Once at the bottom of Ben Lawers we looked back at what we had descended - i was sure it didnt seem that far we descended when we were looking at it from the top of Beinn Glass!!! Clambering up the next bit was a workout and good fun, working up and zig zagging, crossing more snow to get up to the Summit it was worth it when we were there.

On the way back we were looking forward to tackling the steep descents!! which was fun and i enjoyed it. We never realised that the path we had seen was around the bottom of Beinn Glass saving us doing the same munro twice. Oh well technically 3 munroes in a day!!!

Will get some pictures up once i have uploaded them - we really enjoyed the walk and it was more of a challenge than Ben Lomond.

Next is Schihalleon
Attachments
IMG_0416.jpg
View from Ben Lawers
IMG_0406.jpg
looking back to Beinn Ghlas
IMG_0390.jpg
the snow we had to cross!
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0382.jpg
view from nature trail og Beinn Ghlas
Last edited by laurawills13 on Wed May 19, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
laurawills13
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Re: Beinn Glass and Ben Lawers

Postby monty » Tue May 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Well done Laura.
Ben Lawers is quite a steep climb but you are rewarded with tremendous views if the weather is ok. I find walking poles help my dodgy knees by giving extra support especially on the downhill sections. :D

As for the dog, you would probably find a dog will pull you up the steepest slopes no bother :D
monty

Re: Beinn Glass and Ben Lawers

Postby Milesy » Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Well done! Ben Lawers is my nemesis. Last attempt had to turn back in a complete white out and the snow was coming down thick and fast onto old snow and was starting to avalanching everywhere :lol:
Milesy
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland