walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aberdeen (a visit to my hame toon)

Aberdeen (a visit to my hame toon)

Postby foggieclimber » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Date walked: 19/12/2014

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 13.1 km

Ascent: 125m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Cairngorms weather forecast for today suggested 90mph gusts. All hill plans were therefore abandoned. Instead I opted to visit Aberdeen (my hame toon).

I parked at Footdee with a view to walking alongside Aberdeen Beach as far as the Bridge of Don.

Footdee is an area of Aberdeen known locally as "Fittie". It is an old fishing village. There has been a settlement at Footdee as far back as Medieval times. The first recorded reference of "Fittie" was in the year 1398. The current houses in Footdee were built in the nineteenth century.

After having a look and read of the War Memorial, I made my way along to the Roundhouse.

Footdee War Memorial:

The Roundhouse was built in c.1798. This was the former Harbour Master's station which was in use up to 2006. It is a very distinctive octagonal building.

Roundhouse:

In 2006, the Marine Operations Centre took over as the Harbour Master's Station from the Roundhouse. This building didn't exist when I moved away from Aberdeen.

Marine Operations Centre (built 2006):

After having a look around some of the houses, I made my way along towards the start of the pier.

Footdee houses:

It is no longer possible to walk along the pier. It is now closed-off with a large fence with spikes.

Footdee pier:

The next photo shows a selection of the large number of boats waiting just offshore outside Aberdeen Harbour. I assume they are here to sit out a storm?

Boats:

From Footdee I made my way alongside Aberdeen Beach. It was not possible to walk along the sand today as it was high tide. There is however a wide non-vehicular track that runs alongside the beach below the road and pavement above.

I have walked along this stretch of coast more times than I can remember. I have also cycled and roller-bladed along this stretch of coast more times than I can remember. I even once ran along this stretch of coast doing the Baker Hughes 10km! This was back in 1986 - I don't do running now :lol:.

Aberdeen beach from Footdee:

High tide:

As I walked along the beach I did much reminiscing.

There is now a large Ranch furniture store on the esplanade. This building was originally the Amadeus Nightclub. Amadeus opened in 1997. It was by far the largest nightclub in Aberdeen and must have been one of the largest in Scotland.

I can't recall when the Queen's Links Leisure park was built. I think it was possibly around the same time as Amadeus (circa 1997).

Queen's Links Leisure Park:

The Inversnecky Cafe has been there for as long as I can remember (and probably a good bit longer)!

Inversnecky (with Codonas Rollercoaster and Wheel in background):

Amusement Centre:

Beach Ballroom:

From what I could see of the beach today, it is no longer as nice and clean as it was in the 1970s and 1980s.

Myself at Aberdeen Beach (c.1975):

Looking back towards Footdee:

There are now lots of leisure facilities at Aberdeen Beach including a swimming pool, ice skating rink and climbing wall.

What was disappointing to see was the amount of graffiti just about everywhere including on memorial plaques :( .

Looking across Queens Links golf course to Pittodrie:

I eventually reached the end of the beach and then made my way alongside the mouth of the River Don. I had a look inside a bird hide located next to the river.

Donmouth and the Bridge of Don:

On the Bridge of Don:

Donmouth from the Bridge of Don:

After crossing the Bridge of Don I made my way along to just beyond the small car park at Donmouth.

River Don Estuary from Donmouth (North):

It was my intention to return to Footdee via the same route however as it was such a nice day, I decided to undertake a circuit taking in some of Aberdeen's landmarks.

I first made my way to the Brig O'Balgownie.

Constuction of the Brig O'Balgownie commenced in the thirteenth century. It was completed in 1320 but was extensively renovated in 1605. A very old bridge nonetheless.

Crossing the Brig O'Balgownie:

Brig O'Balgownie:

Beyond the Brig O'Balgownie, I walked through Seaton Park woods. The last time I walked this track was at least twenty years ago.

Cuillin in Seaton Park Woods:

River Don from Seaton Park Woods:

Seaton Park is a fairly large park. It is not however as nice as the city's Duthie Park and Hazlehead Park.

From Seaton Park, I made my way up to visit St. Machar's Cathedral.

There has been a place of worship on the site of St. Machar's Cathedral since 580AD. It became a cathedral in the 1130s. Work continued on the cathedral for several centuries with it reaching its completed form in 1530.

St. Machar's Cathedral:

St. Machar's Cathedral:

From the cathedral I made my way through Old Aberdeen, down the Chanonry and then along Don Street.

Don Street, Old Aberdeen:

After crossing St. Machar Drive, I made my way into very familiar territory. A long time ago, I went to the University of Aberdeen studying at the King's College campus.

I passed the St. Machar Bar, a real student pub. An old haunt.

St. Machar Bar:

It was nice to again see King's College. King's College was a formerly independent university founded in 1485. The university buildings are really nice. Definitely worth a visit if you are visiting Aberdeen.

New Building, King's College,University of Aberdeen:

Tomb of Bishop Elphinstone, King's College, University of Aberdeen:

Crown Tower, King's College, University of Aberdeen:

From King's College, I made my way along the Spital as far as Mounthooly. From Mounthooly, I made my way along the Gallowgate to visit Marischal College.

Marischal College is now occupied by Aberdeen City Council. It was formerly occupied by the University of Aberdeen.

Robert the Bruce statue, Marischal College:

Aberdeen City Council have done a fantastic job cleaning Marischal College. It is a seriously impressive building. I believe Marischal College is the second largest granite building in the world. It would be good if the Council could do as good a job cleaning the graffiti (or better still catch the culprits).

Marischal College:

From Marischal College I made my way down to Union Street and then along to the Castlegate.

Archibald Simpson is responsible for many of the fine granite buildings in Aberdeen. This building is now a Weatherspoons pub.

Archibald Simpsons:

Mercat Cross was built in 1686. It would be nice if the cross could be cleaned. Behind the cross is the Citadel, home of Aberdeen's Salvation Army.

Mercat Cross and the Citadel:

From the Citadel I made my way down to the harbour and walked along Victoria Dock to get back to Footdee.

Walking alongside Aberdeen harbour (Victoria Dock):

On the way back I stopped for a drink in the Neptune Bar. A good wee pub, dogs welcome.

Neptune Bar:

Inside the Neptune Bar:

When the weather is bad on the hills there is lots of other great walking to be had. I really enjoyed visiting my hame toon and reminiscing of the good old days :lol:.
foggieclimber

Re: Aberdeen (a visit to my hame toon)

Postby litljortindan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:02 pm

That's a good tour but I think you are right in saying Aberdeen isn't quite what it used to be.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Aberdeen (a visit to my hame toon)

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Really enjoyed this - good to read something a bit different and as you say, a bit wild in the hills.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland