walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby steven65 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 16/05/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was thoroughly looking forward to my day out on Buachaille Etive Mor & i wasn`t disapointed. Accompanied by Oskar & my mates Steven & Wullie we arrived at 750am and were off from the layby at Altnafeadh at 8am. It was a gloriously sunny day. We followed the exact same route as posted here on the site - going up via Coire na Tulaich then heading to the summit of Stob Dearg for our coffee break , on the way up we passed very close to 3 deer - 1 of which had a good look at Oskar - who was on his best behaviour all day.I found the Coire quite tough going -having never done anything like it before , but Oskar took it all in his stride having 4 wheel (leg) drive.It was great to get to the top and onto Stob Dearg we got there at exactly 10 am. Break time :D .
The views all around were breath taking and many fotos were taken - Steven pointed out the surrounding peaks -his knowledge gained over years of climbing/walking.
Surely on such a fine day there isn`t be a better place to be ?
After a 20 min break we headed off along the ridge to Stob na Broige taking in the vista en route, a final rest there with a wee coffee before heading down via Allt Coire Altruim & along Lairig Gartain to the car,getting there at 2.30.
Then via the Kings House for a well earned pint before the drive home amoungst the maniacs on the A82.
A fabulous day out.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Munros:262   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby monty » Wed May 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Steven. Looks like a nice walk. Its great when you get the good weather. Loks like quite a steep climb. You got some lovely pictures there. :D well done
monty

Postby steven65 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Hi monty - it was a great day out , the weather helped a lot.
It just goes to show how much fun and satisfaction you can have by putting in a bit of an effort , previously i`d never have done anything like this -walking/climbing , but i`m enjoying it tremendously.
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby maddjock » Thu May 20, 2010 10:59 am

well done... particularly like that third last photo...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Bay Bloke » Thu May 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Is there any snow/ice left in the ascent up Coire na Tulaich? I'm going on sat so it would nice to know what to expect (or concerns..!)

Cheers,
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 pm

You look a bit like Ray Mears.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby steven65 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:54 am

Hi kev , ..............apparently Ray Mears models himself on me ! :lol:

re ice & snow in the coire - theres a wee drop of snow at the top on the R/H side of the coire , but it doesn`t come into play as we got onto the ridge from the top of the coire slightly left of centre , you can also see a small snow bank towards the top R/H side creeping off of the ridge itself.But nothing to be concerned about , also the coire was quite "dry" ,hopefully the good weather will continue eh
unfortunately due to work i`m not free untill Sun 13/6 , so my next walk will have to wait :(
steven65
Mountain Walker

Postby annestevens » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks for info.Myself and three friends climbed"The Big Buachaille" on 21st. May. We named the gully "The Bloody Gully" we found it quite horrendous, but had a wonderful day. Highly recommended, beware of the "BLOODY GULLY".
annestevens
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland