walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Narnain and Ben Ime

Ben Narnain and Ben Ime

Postby Jock McJock » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 18/05/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1460m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had fancied these 2 for a while now so after checking the weather on Monday night and seeing it was to be very good I got my gear sorted and headed out on Tuesday morning bright and early. Got up to Arrochar about 8am. There was only two other cars in the car park when I got there; and here I thought I was early! :lol: A couple of others arrived as I was getting sorted out and I could hear they were all heading for the Cobbler.

Set off up the wee path behind the other people that were also getting going but soon turned off up the old hydro path and was on my own again. This is quite a steep ascent but it seems to be the better option having had a wee look at the zig zags on my way back down - even for doing the Cobbler. My route took me straight up the front of Ben Narnain and I was soon gaining some hight. Ben Narnain was loooking impressive high up above me and the weather was getting better by the minute.
Photo0692.jpg
Ben Narnain high above.
There was no wind at all so the loch below was like a sheet of glasss and made the views that were opeining up even more impressive.
Photo0694.jpg
Glassy Loch Long below.

After a whike I got my fisrt views of the Cobbler and it was looking brilliant. Could see some people up on it too.
Photo0710.jpg
First veiw of The Cobbler.
Got up onto Cruach nam Miseag which was the first wee scrambly part of the day. I could now llok up and see that I was going to get an even better scramble once I got up into the Spearhead region.
Photo0719.jpg
The Spearhead high above.
The scramble up the wee rock filled gully there was great fun.Had a wee rest at that point on top of the Spearhead at the wee cairn and took in the great views all around. Said hello to the first person I had seen since the start, who was sitting on top of one of the big rocks near the top having a wee bite to eat.
Photo0729.jpg
Nice place for lunch.

After that I headed along and up onto the top and over to the trig point.
Photo0738.jpg
Trig point with The Cobbler in the background.
It was here that I got my first sight of Ben Ime. Feeling just a wee bit tired at this point and looking over to where I was going to be going made me grown a little. I could see how much descent was involved between the two and I must admit it briefly crossed my mind to just head over to the Cobbler and leave Ben Ime for another day.
Photo0746.jpg
Ben Ime from Ben Narnain.
But after I got my breath back I headed off the back of Ben Narnain and off towards Ben Ime. Once down in the bealach I was feeling a lot better and I was even eying up the Cobbler and thinking I might have a crack at it on the way back down.
Photo0754.jpg
Ben Ime from Bealach a'Mhaim.

At this point the path got very boggy and it continued like that for a good part of the way up the big grassy slope of Ben Ime. The path just seemed to disapear sometimes and I was left zigging and zagging around some of the really wet and boggy stuff. Must admit that I didn't particularly enjoy this part of the day. I would rather go up much steeper ground and gain height quickly than this haul up a very long grassy slope. The views all around were nice though so that kept me going. About halfway up I decided to stop, get a breather and have some lunch. It was now about 12 in the day so had been on the go for around 4 hours and while I'd had a wee nibble on some crisps earlier hadn't really had much else. So found a nice big rock to sit on and had some lunch. Was nice to just sit awhile and have a look back down and over to Ben Narnain on my left and the Cobbler on my right. Could see a few people now heading up and down the Cobbler and could also see one person heading up the back of Ben Narnain. After a half hour or so I set off up Ben Ime again.
Photo0761.jpg
Nice place for some lunch.

Was soon out of the grassy bogs and into more rocky terrain which was much better. Passed my second person of the day here on their descent. Near the top and I could see someone high up and was now just thinking please let that be the top!
Photo0767.jpg
Is that the top?
Turns out it was just a wee bit further on from where I had seen them but not too much. Arrived at the top of Ben Ime just about 1pm and found the wee wall and cairn inside it. The views all around were brilliant. I could see all the surrounding hills and could see quite a distance in all directions too. Had a wee sit down and got my breath back at the top.
Photo0786.jpg
North from the top.
Photo0779.jpg
East from the top.
Was really feeling it in my legs at this point so made the decision then and there that The Cobbler would have to wait for another day. Really don't think I could have managed down Bem Ime, up the Cobbler, back down and then had the hours walk out. Just not that fit I'm afraid :lol: After spending some time at the top I got myself sorted and headed back off down the hillside and through all the grassy bogs again. Was very glad to get back down into the bealach and onto the much better path at the bottom of the Cobbler.
Photo0799.jpg
Looking down into the bealach from the slopes of Ben Ime. Ben Narnain on the left and The Cobbler on the right.

From there it was a very straightforward walk out. The views down that path are nice too. The Cobbler seems to look different evry time you look back up to it and is a really impressive thing to look at.
Photo0808.jpg
The Cobbler.
Soon got down past the Narnain Boulders and back down towards Arrochar. Lovely views down the loch from here too.
Photo0816.jpg
Loch Long
Got down to the wee radio mast and could see the zig zag path going down below. My legs were aching a bit by now so decided to turn left along the track and find the first steep section that I came up that morning. Reason being I knew that it would be much quicker and by this point I just wanted back to the car for a sit down. On the track I met a guy and his dog who had done the same as me only in the opposite direction. He, like me was knackered and was looking forward to getting home for a beer. That sounded good to me. So spurred on by the thought of a cold one I found the path down and was soon back in the car park. Arrived back there about 3.15pm so all in it was a 7 hour day. And it felt like it!!!
Last edited by Jock McJock on Wed May 19, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Narnain and Ben Ime

Postby monty » Wed May 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi jock,
Thats a nice report with some stunning pictures. Looks like you got a nice mix, Bogs, scambles and excellent weather. Well done :D
monty

Postby Jock McJock » Wed May 19, 2010 3:23 pm

Cheers Monty,

Yeah you're right, great mix. It was a great day even though I stood on my sunglasses at one point :lol: . Thouroughly enjoyed it. Already eyeing up my next one. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Milesy » Thu May 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I like the perspective of your pictures. You take your photos in a similar way to me :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Jock McJock » Thu May 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks Milesy. Think I just like to try and get what I see on the ground. Sometimes it doesn't come across in pictures quite the way you see it it for real. Like you said its all about perspective. Getting something in the pic to show the true scale of a hill or the steepness/height etc. All adds to the fun when out and about. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Taraloo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:12 am

Great report Jock. We did Ben Narnain on its own a few weeks ago and lost the path completely just at the start by the stream! Ended up going round to the left hand side of it and having to walk blindly through dried up ferns and steep grassy slopes. By the time we found the path again we were at the bit where it started to dip then hit the scrambly part which was a bit nerve wracking with "baby giraffe legs" from having to scramble up the hill to the path! Anyway, nice to see the correct way to do it and your report on Beinn Ime was interesting too as I was thinking of doing that this Saturday but cant be bothered with the boggy bits! Well done! :D
Taraloo
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks Taraloo. Yeah Ben Ime was a bit of a bog slog on the lower slopes I'm afraid. Was much better further up when I hit more rocky ground and the views from the top were great it has to be said. Still well worth the walk. So did you go straight up the face of Ben Narnain or up the zig zags towards The Cobbler then up onto the side of it?
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 pm

looks like you had a great day for it Jock. We went up in november and it was rainy and cloudy all day, didnt see much until we got on top of Ben Ime, when the cloud cleared for a minute. planning to go up there again soon, hope i get a day like you had :)
tomyboy73
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   Corbetts:21
Grahams:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:59 am

tomyboy73 wrote:looks like you had a great day for it Jock. We went up in november and it was rainy and cloudy all day, didnt see much until we got on top of Ben Ime, when the cloud cleared for a minute. planning to go up there again soon, hope i get a day like you had :)

Yeah was a brilliant day weatherwise. Nice and clear but not too hot. Struggled at the start on the steep bit as there was just no wind at all to cool me down. Was soon huffing and puffing and gulping down the water. Was better higher up when I got a wee breeze blowing. It's a great place up there, just wish I had done The Cobbler too that day but I was knackered by the time I got back down Ben Ime. But gives me a good excuse to get back up there soon. :D Good luck with getting better weather than your last time. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Brilliant report Jock! Love the photos - they show the real character of these rugged hills. Sounds like a memorable day, and the Cobbler will still be there for another day! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby GillC » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Fantastic pics J, I never seem to get anything like good visibility on my visits to these hills so its great to see what I was missing lol :?
GillC
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:44
Grahams:31   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Great walk these two and you got the weather, nice one.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Paula Hubens » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Nice pictures Jock! I particularly like 'the Spearhead high above'. I can't believe now that I actually went up there, that looks rather inaccesible! It was really foggy when I did Beinn Narnain in June, so it's a nice surprise to see where I went up along.
Paula Hubens

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:49 pm

great pics... glad to see you back out :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Postby Jockstar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Good report mate and one that brought back memories of last winter and doing Narnian and having to call off climbing Ben Ime as we running out of time...boo hoo ! Your report show what it is like without snow and how can anyone not be impressed by The Cobbler..what a great peice of rock! Nice scrambles alon the way andyour camera is definately picking the right perspective..lol. :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland