walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little time, Little Wyvis

Little time, Little Wyvis

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 20/12/2014

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 675m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Little Wyvis
Date: 20/12/2014.
Distance: 9.5km
Ascent: 675m
Time taken: 2 hours, 20 minutes.
Weather: Windy, occasional showers, some sunshine, snow from 400m upward.

Work over for the year, and a fairly uninspiring weather forecast ahead for the weekend. Cold and windy on Saturday vs. warm and wet on Sunday. I decided on a short local walk on Saturday. I decided to take the more southerly approach to Little Wyvis, which I'd not done before. Pre-access legislation, this route was forbidden, and I thought the landowners were still a bit obstructive of this route. I didn't see any issues today - no locked gates or particularly misleading signage.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked at the Silverbridge carpark and crossed the Ullapool road. There is a road dept depot just off the main road and a high gate next to it. Round the gate and up the track, passing a fair amount of dumped rubbish on the way. Given that the gate is locked at the bottom, most of this must be dumped by the estate.

Black Water:

Silverbridge, Black Water:

This is the gate you want:

Strathgarve from the upper section of the ascent:

After a couple more gates, it was into the new snow. The weather was way better than expected so far, with views over the Strathfarrar hills and the east end of the Fannaichs.

Rainbow:

Meall Ruighe an Fhirich from the ascent:

As the track zigzagged up the eastern slopes, it filled up with drifts of soft snow. I cut a few corners higher up to avoid the deepest powder, and was soon on the summit ridge. This is where the wind really got up, although it wasn't making walking too difficult.

South from near the summit:

An Cabhar and Ben Wyvis from the summit

Some snow starting to consolidate:

I didn't hang around at the top, and dropped off to the south. There was some Christmas shopping on the agenda later on, so despite thinking of heading over to the radio mast on Meall Ruighe an Fhirich, I dropped down to a closer track crossing Bealach Beag for a shorter cicuit.

Loch Luichart, Fionn Bheinn and the Fannaichs:

SW face of Little Wyvis:

Good views to the Fannaichs as I rejoined my outward route and dropped back down to Silverbridge.

Eastern Fannaichs:

Garbh Choire Mor and An Coileachan:

Back to Little Wyvis:

Pond on the way down:

Silverbridge from the carpark:

Little Wyvis from Strathgarve:

I had planned to go up Little Wyvis via a longer route from the Rogie Falls, but this was a pleasant alternative to the usual route from Garbat.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Little time, Little Wyvis

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:33 pm

Great area for a short walk - must be good to be so close. :thumbup: Wish I'd had the time for this hill when on its bigger brother :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland