walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Two Daves Walk to Skye (part 1)

The Two Daves Walk to Skye (part 1)

Postby maddjock » Wed May 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Date walked: 10/05/2010

Distance: 112 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A wee walk to Skye

I remember when I was younger being taken all around Scotland on caravan holidays during the school holidays. One of my favourite places was Skye and the journey there involving a long drive and a ferry crossing. There were 2 roads to Skye; the top road - Achnasheen and Lochcarron, and the bottom road – Invermoriston and GlenShiel. As a kid I was also fascinated by maps and I long remember wondering what was in that great expanse of nothingness between the top and bottom roads.
All grown-up now 8) and I know most of the innards of this route, but a conversation last year (possibly over a dram or 2) led to a plan to walk to Skye from my old house through the hills to Glenelg and take the ferry across, just like old times.

So last week, that is exactly what we did. Unfortunately time constraints forced us to skip the first days walking, so instead we cadged a lift from my father (minus the caravan) and got dropped off at Strathfarrar. I have said before on some posts that Strathfarrar is one of my favourite places in Scotland, and the walk up the Glen, despite the plod, plod on the tarmac is delightful. The weather was very overcast and grey, and I think for the first time ever up here I never took a single photo… :(

With the weather turning worse, we make our first camp below An Riabhachan and endure a night of wind, hail, snow and -3 temps.

Wildlife seen – 1 hare, 1 red grouse, lots of deer
Wildlife heard - Cuckoo

Day 2
Awake before 5am, and a wee peak out of the tent promises some better weather… (maybe)…
1st-camp.jpg

In fact the better weather didn’t get near until we were off the summit of An Socach and down to Loch Mullardoch and at one of my favourite camping spots. It was still early but we decided to pitch and have an easy day. Spent the rest of the day taking pics, relaxing and having daft conversations.

me-descent-from-An-Socach.jpg

Rock-tree-Mullardoch.jpg

Day-2-camp-Mullardoch-below.jpg

Beinn-Fhionnlaidh-Carn-Eige.jpg

Wildlife seen – 3 ptarmigan, 1 little cold looking bunny wabbit, very near to the summit of An Socach, 1 stoat, 1 water vole (or similar), lots of deer
Wildlife heard - Cuckoo

Day 4 - TO BE CONT...
Link to Part 2
Last edited by maddjock on Sat May 22, 2010 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Re: The Two Daves Walk to Skye (part 1)

Postby monty » Wed May 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Nice walk Madjock. I nearly had heart attack when I saw you had walked 112km :shock: but then I read it was over 4 days :lol: . Still a long haul. That picture of the iron lodge view looks superb :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Mon May 24, 2010 12:09 am

Which is the 'Iron Lodge View'? I ask as I'm planning to do a few Munros after biking into there in June... and 112Km - nothing to you Monty I'm sure, after the epics you've been doing lately! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby maddjock » Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 am

monty wrote:Nice walk Madjock. I nearly had heart attack when I saw you had walked 112km :shock: but then I read it was over 4 days :lol: . Still a long haul. That picture of the iron lodge view looks superb :D

well technically 6 days, although the last 2 days combined were only about 10km :D

mountain coward wrote:Which is the 'Iron Lodge View'? I ask as I'm planning to do a few Munros after biking into there in June... and 112Km - nothing to you Monty I'm sure, after the epics you've been doing lately! :lol:

sorry Mc, re edited the post to move the pics to part 2 as forgot to include the description. You'll find the pic there, as Im sure you have. Its a good spot to camp in just east of Loch an Droma if you bike into the Iron Lodge. From here a circuit of Sgurr na Ceathreamhnan, An Socach and Mullach na Dheiragain is more enjoyable than tackling it from the Affric side.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland