walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumglow Hill

Dumglow Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumglow

Date walked: 27/12/2014

Time taken: 1.4 hours

Distance: 5.2 km

Ascent: 285m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a look at the reports for this hill last night. The usual suspects were all there, Graeme D doing a remarkably sedate wee circular round the loch, Fife Flyer doing some sort of Bear Grylls route and Rod taking a short route in from the north. As I planned to go on from this hill to do some more Sub 2000's I went for Rod's route.

1.jpg
Parking area with room for a couple of cars

Having parked around half a mile east of Hardiston I walked about 50 yards in the direction of Cleish before turning right into a field and followed a track in a straight line towards the tree line.

2.jpg
Entering the field and the track ahead

There had been a hard overnight frost but the field was still damp and muddy but it's only 5 minutes of walking before taking the right turn through a gate keeping the trees on my left.

3.jpg
A good track along the side of the hill

After a few minutes the track turns left and starts to climb through the wood. The frost hasn't got in to this sheltered part of the walk so there's a bit of mud about. On reaching a large turning area I took the fire break to my left.

4.jpg
Not sure why I took a photo of the fire break - they all look pretty similar

After about 100 yards I took a right turn and followed another fire break heading directly up the hill. I crossed a small trench and a broken down wall before clearing the woods and reaching the open hill.

5.jpg
Out of the woods

I remembered Rod's comments in his report that there was a short steep climb to the top, I assumed he was having a bad day, this was a stroll in the park and in no time at all I was on the top. 1st Sub 2000 of the day bagged in no time at all, now, where's the trig point???????????? Found it, it's over there................

6.jpg
I'm on the wrong ****** hill

Dropped down off the top and followed a narrow track round the side of the wood to reach the final steep climb up to the Dumglow summit. At the top of the climb I had to clamber over a fence with barbed wire on the second top rung then it was just a short walk to the trig point.

7.jpg
Approaching the trig point

8.jpg
Looking beyond Loch Leven to Bishop Hill

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg
A frozen Black Loch

For my route down I decided to head back for the same fire break, it meant a longer walk but I didn't trust myself finding the correct route through the woods.

On the way down there was a lot of shooting close by but luckily not on my route so I managed to get back to the car without getting shot.

Nice little hill this one (actually, they were both good).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Dumglow Hill

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Nice one Gordie, those photo's reminded me of how much fun I had too :lol: :lol:

Interestingly my route up took me over the same wee hill you ventured over, returned the direct and much easier route :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Goodie, was it Georgetown hill you headed towards? The route is not that clear when you are heading through the firebreaks they all look the same. I remember keeping my eye on the Fb when I left the woods as I did not want to do a Crock. Nice wee hill though, glad to see your gettingout.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Gordie, those photo's reminded me of how much fun I had too :lol: :lol:

Interestingly my route up took me over the same wee hill you ventured over, returned the direct and much easier route :wink:

The difference FF is that you probably meant to go over the wee hill :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:14 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Goodie, was it Georgetown hill you headed towards? The route is not that clear when you are heading through the firebreaks they all look the same. I remember keeping my eye on the Fb when I left the woods as I did not want to do a Crock. Nice wee hill though, glad to see your gettingout.

Hi Rod - the hill isn't named on my map, it was the 349 top just to the west of Dumglow - in any case it was an easy walk over to the hill I should have been on.
Gordie12
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland