walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye trip report

Skye trip report

Postby ken reid » Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Date walked: 19/05/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Skye trip report may 2010
Hi all right here goes I started in glen shiel doing the south ridge
Pick 1 the route ahead for the day

This is the view from the top of the first Munro creag a’ mhaim

Looking back to the start (I can see the pub from here)

This shot showed the weather I had for the day

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.

Looking back to the beginning from the halfway point of sgurr an doire leathain

Looking forward over the rest of the days tops

This walk took me 11 hrs to do then another 2hrs walking back along the a87 to the cluanie inn to get back to the car.
Sun I headed of on to Skye and set up camp for the week at the sligachan site

After setting up I went for a short walk around the area to see what shots I could get I will post more of these in the photography section but here is a sample the classic view of the black cuillin from sligachan

ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Re: Skye trip report

Postby ken reid » Wed May 19, 2010 8:58 pm

I will continue with the rest of the week as I upload sum more shots onto tinypic hope you like the ones I have posted so far :thumbup:
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby ken reid » Wed May 19, 2010 10:49 pm

Day two Monday

Having had a good rest on Sunday followed by a cold night I awoke to a fresh dusting of snow over the target for today witch is bruach na frithe after breakfast I started out at around 0900hrs towards the bealach a’ mahim from here I ascended the nw ridge of bruach na frithe gaining the summit at around 1130hrs as it was to early to descend I decided to skirt round under am basteir and have a go at its east ridge I managed this with ought to much trouble the bad step makes you think but was ok in the end and much easier on the way down . I met sum other climbers on return to my backpack and there guide had found a cas on sgurr nan gillean so I descended to alert the mrt but sadly the man didn’t make it as I mentioned in an earlier report here are sum picks of the days events.

The start of the day

A view across the rest of the ridge from around half way up the nw ridge

Follow those size 9’s

The summit of bruach na frithe

Sum other climbers on am basteir

Nearing the top of am basteir

Mrt doing there thing

ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby ken reid » Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Right im back sorry for the delay but I have been trying to catch up with work and jobs around the house since returning . On wed and thu I went up to portree to sort out a rather nasty blister so didn’t manage any walks but on fri I went down to blaven to find out how my heel would stand up to the weekend that we had planed i.e. pinnacle ridge on sat then the coire lagen round on sun. here are sum picks from around blaven.

The approach

A waterfall on the way up blaven

Looking south from around half way up

Looking back down to the start of the walk

The pinnacle ridge from blaven

Descending the south top

The gully we descended

Sum local wiled flowers

I will try to upload the pick’s I need for the report on the pinnacle ridge tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted and posted by tue it was a epic with an unexpected ending witch put any hopes of doing the in pin out of the question!
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby Clamberer » Mon May 24, 2010 12:11 am

Fantastic photos, I love the colours in that first one of Bla Bheinn. Skye is just beautiful at this time of year and it seems you had the weather to fully appreciate it!

I'll look forward to the full report... :D
Clamberer
Rambler

Munros:228   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   

Postby FLaVrT » Mon May 24, 2010 8:52 pm

Last edited by FLaVrT on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLaVrT
Scrambler

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Ditto, great pictures Ken. :D
monty

Postby ken reid » Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Right as promised here is the report on our attempt at the pinnacle ridge we set of at around 09.00hrs after cheeking the weather report and deciding whether to go for it or not, the report wasn’t good but we thought that we would give it a go. On the way up the waterproofs were on and off every 10min slowing the progress down but we finally reached the start of the ridge and begun to climb the rock was loose and wet witch wasn’t to bad but as wee gained height we were also presented with snow cover and ice, we stopped for lunch before the really steep ground to decide whether to turn back or push on as this was the point of no return the weather was holding and we all felt good so decided to go for it so harnesses on and onwards and upwards we went t. to the first absail point this is ware the temperature dropped as the wind increased once we were all safely down the absail we were faced with a thin sloping loose snowy ledge so decided to rig a safety line around to the next safe section . Once there we again started to climb but the ground was ice snowy and loose witch made the route more dangerous than we would have liked on gaining the second absail point we found that it was no longer there so we decided to down climb into the top of the gully . At this point we had another decision to make we had dun the ridge but still had the last peek to gain the munro the ground ahead was once again loose and covered in snow and ice and as we were all cold and tired we decided to retreat down the snow filled gully witch looked like a decent route . We rigged up an ab point and started to descend but as Chris went over the first drop into what looked like soft snow he disappeared into a rather large hole between the rock and what turned out to be around 8ft of solid ice covered snow that we had to kick steps in all the way down to the bolder field around 200 m below as max was the last to absail down he suddenly stopped around half way down then started again but he told us when he got down that the rope had been damaged . When we got to a safer position we stopped to have something to eat and look at the rope wooo it was cut almost through . This gave us all a bit of a shock ( see the pick) as you can see the rope was no longer of any use as the cut was in the middle so the in pin trip was postponed for another trip and a more leisurely walk up to the old man was taken instead via the café in portree for breakfast then back to Perth then down to sunny leigh-on-see on mun. I hope you have enjoyed looking at these pick’s as much as I enjoyed taking them. Thanks for all thee comments

KEN
The start of the day with jackets off

Johnny and max on the way in
Getting closer
Dolly on the approach
Getting steeper
And wetter
Johnny looking a bit damp
Getting wetter
And steeper
A well earned rest and a bite to eat
Time to kit up and push on
Steeper still and wetter
No 2
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2mcaas2.jpg[/IM
Chris on the first ab

Followed by dolly
Johnny the last man on the way down
Johnny and max ascending one of the more slippery gullies with loos gravel under soft snow
Dolly abing into no4/5 gully
Chris sabotaging the rope
Dolly descending the kicked steps to the bolder field
Right take a look at the rope
A relieved max pointing at the damaged rope he just used to ab down
This shot was taken on Monday’s walk but shows the gully that we descended the last one before gaining the top
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby ken reid » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Sunday
On Sunday we decided to nip up to Portree for sum breakfast then on to the old man for a short walk before leaving Skye to head home, on the way up I noticed a good photo opportunity but decided to stop on the way back to get the shots I wanted. We weren’t dressed for the hill as we only expected a short walk so just wore my jeans that I was travelling in that day so soaked up most of the rain that arrived just after ourselves never mind here are the pic’s

Chris on the way in
No 1
No2
No3
The arty stuff from the way out
No1
No2
No3
No4

Well that’s the lot for now I hope you have enjoyed the report so far I am sure that the other participants of the weekend’s fun will add sum more to this thread thanks for all your comments on the pic’s I have enjoyed sharing them with you cheers

Ken.
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby Milesy » Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm

What the fecks going on with your weather? lol!!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby ken reid » Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Milesy wrote:What the fecks going on with your weather? lol!!

that's Skye for you one minuet it's sunney the next it's snowing you just have to deel with it :lol:
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Postby Milesy » Wed May 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Cracking stuff anyway. You should have stuck it in the reports section for more people to find attached to munro listings :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Sat May 29, 2010 3:23 pm

If you were abseiling on two ropes and one was damaged somewhere near the midpoint it must have perhaps been a chunk of rock that did the damage? Also fortunate that one long abseil took you to easier ground.....I guess you could have continued descending on one rope doubled. I don't know this gully that you used for descent...have always gone on for the summit of Gillean.... but there will usually be a problem with loose stuff when there are lots of people are around. Useful information Ken and to get everyone out in a retreat is good practice. Take care.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland