walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Christmas holiday saunter and the last walk of 2014

Christmas holiday saunter and the last walk of 2014

Postby martin.h » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:11 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Whernside

Date walked: 28/12/2014

Time taken: 6

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 892m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Christmas! we all enjoy the day but regret the amount we eat and drink, if you're like me, all you have to do is look at a Christmas dinner and you'll put weight on, how do we counter this?, we go for a stroll up our local hills and, with a bit of luck, burn a few calories, get rid of a bit of the Christmas excesses ready for the forthcoming New Year excesses and hopefully not feel too bad about the holiday once life gets back into the good old work routine.
Our post Christmas day jaunt is Whernside and Ingleborough from Ribblehead, a nice walk taking in two of the Yorkshire Three Peaks, following part of the beaten track but then getting off it for our return to Ribblehead.
We had a bit of snow on Boxing Day night back in West Yorkshire so we were hoping for a bit on the tops in the Dales, we got that, nothing dramatic, but it added to the atmosphere on probably one of the best winter days we've had on the Yorkshire hills in the last couple of years.
We arrived at Ribblehead in glorious sunshine, a bit cool but the sky was clear of any cloud and the tops had snow on them, this would be our final day in the hills for 2014 so not a bad day to finish off with ( and, while I'm typing this, I've got a Speyside single malt with a tad of spring water in it for a bit of inspiration, thats not bad either).
I am always thankful we have these hills close at hand, it may not be the Highlands but they are a good excuse to get out and enjoy what our Islands have to offer.
I hope the photo's capture the day.
Denise and I would like to wish all Walkhighlands contributers and readers a Happy New Year and I hope you all stay safe while out in the mountains in 2015.
Have fun.
M.
DSC00225.JPG
Whernside from the Three peaks path.

DSC00231.JPG
I'm not sure if this tarn on the east side of Whernside has a name, does anybody know?, the O.S map suggests it dosen't but I've often thought about having lunch on it's banks during the summer watching all the folks on their way to the summit.

DSC00232.JPG
This is the path to the summit, its been improved over the last year or so to help keep erosion down, last year it was a muddy track, now its well built and capable of taking many boots.

DSC00233.JPG
Nameless tarn from higher up

DSC00234.JPG
Looking back down the path, there's a slight inversion in the distance.

DSC00235.JPG
On the way to the summit, sunshine all the way.

DSC00236.JPG
Shadows and views.

DSC00239.JPG
Blue skies and chrystal clear.

DSC00241.JPG
Looking towards Ingleborough from the summit of Whernside

DSC00242.JPG
Looking towards the Howgills, not much to see in the distance, clouds beginning to form in the cold air.

DSC00245.JPG
Whernside from the slopes of Ingleborough, suprising lack of snow on its S.E side

DSC00246.JPG
Ingleborough.

DSC00248.JPG
View from the slopes of Ingleborough towards Hawes.

DSC00250.JPG
Denise on the pull up From Humphrey Bottom, a little steep bit that is good fun when there's a lot more snow.

DSC00253.JPG
Near the top, it was a bit slippy in parts but its more or less a staircase and has been engineered to cope with the Three peakers.

DSC00254.JPG
He's got a good view but I bet its a bit nippy.

DSC00256.JPG
View into Humphrey Bottom from the top of the steep bit, from here its an easy pull onto the summit of Ingleborough, we didn't bother as time was getting on.

DSC00259.JPG
View towards Ingleton and a bit of Ingleborough from Souther Scales Fell.

DSC00260.JPG
Park Fell, right at the end of the broad ridge from Ingleborough just before we started the descent back to Ribblehead.

DSC00261.JPG
Pen-y-Ghent from Park Fell.

DSC00263.JPG
Towards Hawes and the Northern Dales.

DSC00265.JPG
Sun filtered by cloud over Park Fell

DSC00270.JPG
Ribblehead Viaduct bathed in sunlight.

DSC00273.JPG
The days mood changing, clouds coming in.

DSC00274.JPG
Red hillsides.
We hope to meet some WH members on the mountains next year, it would be nice to put usernames to faces.
Last edited by martin.h on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Christmas holiday saunter and the last walk of 2014

Postby irishwasa » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 am

That looks like a grand day out - and you got the best of the weather during the day - some great views :wink:
irishwasa
Mountaineer

Re: Christmas holiday saunter and the last walk of 2014

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:26 am

Looks a great day out, :clap:
All the best for 2015 Martin & Denise
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland