walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Heavyweight trainning

Heavyweight trainning

Postby davetherave » Wed May 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 14/05/2010

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Over Night Camp

Date. Friday 14th and Saturday 15th May 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Clear with mainly blue skies
Time. 11.5 hrs
Distance 30.5 km
Ascent. 1600 m
Hills. Munro’s x 5
Corbett’s x 1

loch Muick Circuit.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lochnagar,Carn a Choire Bhoidheach,CarnAn Sagairt Mor, Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn
Conachcraig

Starting from. Loch Muick visitor ctr

This was it, the start of our heavy pack training, and with several big routes planned for the near future we decided on doing the lochnagar circular route to include the above 5 munros and catching the Corbett Conachcraig on route.

Arrived at the visitor ctr on Friday afternoon and set off at 4pm for the Corbett Conachcraig. After heading n/w for about 1km we entered the woods at Allot Na Giubhsaich once through the forest we took a direct route up the steep heathery slopes and soon reached the the 850 top then promptly headed for Caisteal na calico at 862m, this top was a rather rocky affair with nice views to the cliffs of Lochnagar. From here we headed for the true summit of Conachcraig.

From Conachcraig.JPG

From Conachcraig (2).JPG

Lochnagar from Conachcraig.JPG

Our plan was to catch Lochnagar and set up camp between Lochnagar and Carn a Choire Bhoidheach………….. Never quite worked out that way.

Soon we had descended the Corbett and were heading towards Meikle Pap passing a memorial on the way.

memorial.JPG

This was where the dark cliffs of Lochnagar first came into view, still looking rather wintry from a distance with the last of the snow still clearly visible. Heading S/W we soon gained height up the steep face and started to creep our way round the cliffs heading for the summit.. It was around this point we came across at least 15/20 mini cairns ( can I assume this is to assist in bad weather ). Anyhow time was getting on and it was nearing 8pm. Was getting rather windy and visibility had dropped so we decided to set camp on what must have been the only descent pitch around.

Cliffs from above the Loch.JPG

Cliffs from above the Loch (2).JPG

Cliffs from above the Loch (3).JPG

High level campsite.JPG

Soon it was morning and we awoke to freezing temperatures, the ground was rock hard and visibility was very poor (if only we went for the summit last night) By 6.45 am we were on the summit and for 5 mins the sun burned through giving us some nice views after all.

Lochnagar summit.JPG

Lochnagar summit (2).JPG

Back to the tent we headed had some breakfast, packed the gear and were on our way soon after 8am and come 10.15 we had reached Carn a Choire Bhoidheach and CarnAn Sagairt Mor .

heading for Carn a Choire Bhoidheach.JPG

views from CarnAn Sagairt Mor.JPG

From here looking S/E, Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn are easily noticeable in the distance and with negligible height to be climbed this should be a nice run in.

Broad Cairn and Cairn Bannoch.JPG

Eagles rock.JPG

broad Cairn (1).JPG

head of lock Muick.JPG

Loch Muick.JPG

Loch Muick (1).JPG

Loch Muick (3).JPG

From the stable hut at the foot of Broad Cairn near Corrie Chash we decided to take the lower footpath along Loch Muick before joining the 4 x 4 track about halfway along the Loch and finally heading back for the visitor centre to end a super 1 ½ days walk.
Attachments
head of lock Muick.JPG
High level campsite.JPG
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Heavyweight trainning

Postby maddjock » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

fantastic.. a high level camp... cant beat it...
the tent looks a bit familiar... 8)
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby davetherave » Thu May 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Thats our second high level camp in a month. :D

The tent is a vango spirit 200+ , good tent but a bit on the heavy side.
davetherave

Postby gaffr » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Young Wilson seems to be putting on a fair bit of muscle. Will he have his own panniers soon? Is he a Beardie?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby davetherave » Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Gaffr
Yes you are right he is a Beardie Collie, and he will be carrying his own gear very soon. :lol: We really do need to lighten our packs some how. :D fair's fair so they say.

Gaffr are you familiar with the curved ridge ? if so do you think it would be possible for the dog to achieve this route, or would it be a step to much.

Dave
davetherave

Postby kerrera » Thu May 20, 2010 9:13 pm

A Vango Spirit, nice. A bit on the heavy side, but well worth the walk. Where does the dog sleep?

My bitch (dog) is now 9 months old and she looks like a tic cushion. I'm thinking about spraying her with SSS.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby davetherave » Thu May 20, 2010 9:49 pm

kerrera wrote:Where does the dog sleep?

the vango spirit has a large enough porch to accomadate all our gear and also sleeps the dog rather comfortably. As said the only downside so far is its a wee tad heavy.

As for the tic's, well he hasnt had any yet. Dont think they can penatrate his hairy body.
davetherave

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 pm

remember, in Scotland, a 'tic and a tick are very different things :lol:

Looks a great day anyway :D . When I did the 5 Munros, I had never heard of a Corbett so never thought to include it :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby monty » Fri May 21, 2010 9:04 am

Nice report Dave. I done these last month in the snow. Its good to include the corbett because its a long drive to go back and do it on its own :lol: I bet it felt cold camping so high up :D
monty

Postby maddjock » Fri May 21, 2010 10:18 am

maddjock wrote:fantastic.. a high level camp... cant beat it...
the tent looks a bit familiar... 8)

davetherave wrote:Thats our second high level camp in a month. :D

The tent is a vango spirit 200+ , good tent but a bit on the heavy side.

lol I know, I've had mine now for a couple of years or so and had to wait a fair bit to get it in that colour also. The weight doesn't bother me at all, and is the only item of my backpacking gear that I hadn't replaced with a lighter equivalent for the Skye walk. It gets a lot of use and has stood up to a fair amount of abuse and still looks great. :D
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby gaffr » Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm

Been off-line for a bit.....my old modem thing has just given up the...well everything! Managed to get a router thing...but getting it fixed to do things is another game...at the moment have managed to get online with the explorer thing but still no e mail connection..must have pressed a wrong key somewhere.
Anyway...beardies...Mrs.Barley who used to be in Aviemore had many Beardies that used to do a job with the searching on the hills...very fine animals. Another very old one used to guard the gate at a shepherds house nearby.... he must have had a career in rounding up sheep in the Monadhliaths. I've only ever had one wee dog, Wilfred, part Charlie Spaniel and part Collie who did well over a hundred munros. Her limit, I realised, was on An Teallach, so I never took on anything too rocky again....her final big hills were the Carnach top and Fhuaran in Kintail. I feel that the C Ridge would have been too much for her...even in her prime!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland