walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter wild camp high above Glencoe: blue, white and green!

Winter wild camp high above Glencoe: blue, white and green!

by wilkiemurray » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:43 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 28/12/2014

Time taken: 23 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Winter wild camp high above Glencoe: blue, white and gre

Postby litljortindan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 pm

Amazing indeed.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:48 pm

A1 report - image of the Ben is superb. :clap: ATB 2015
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Excellent photos, real classics. My DSLR shuts down when the temperature drops, did you have any such problems with your cameras?
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby dooterbang » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:38 pm

ooooft!! Delicious :D

Must try that one day...
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Andy74G » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Another fantastic video report :clap: , I really enjoy watching these , after watching your Ben More in winter video I made a point of saving this Munro for the winter, and I climbed it last week in the sunshine and the snow, amazing views, :D
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby starrynights » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:46 pm

What fantastic photos :clap: Tried to pick a favourite, but gave up - although your silhouette at summit with stars behind is worthy of a magazine cover!
Superb report. 8)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:38 am

Meatball wrote:Just the expected standard from you!
:-)

Thanks MB- Got lucky on this one - wasn't sure if tops were going to be clear - and to be fair Bideans summi was in cloud for most of trip - luckily The Buachailles wasn't!!Wouldn't have had many pictures if that was the case :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:39 am

scottishkennyg wrote:A1 report - image of the Ben is superb. :clap: ATB 2015

Thanks Kenny :D

ATB for 2015

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:43 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Excellent photos, real classics. My DSLR shuts down when the temperature drops, did you have any such problems with your cameras?

Hi Caberfeidh, Thanks :)

I have annex 7 and as you can see from the aurora shots there was a problem - the lens froze! I had been waiting for the cloud to clear for about 45m-60 mins, and then rushed to take the shots without checking!! a layer of ice had covered the filter :(

My first battery had also packed in rather quickly as darkness fell and the temperature dropped, so when I wasn't shootong I took the battery out of the camera and suck I in my glove to keep it warm. I them also put the camera inside my jacket.

The battery lasted until the end of the trip so this may have helped.

My other cameras batteries died quickly in cold too but they were taking videos as well maybe eating up more energy?

ATB for 2015

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 am

Andy74G wrote:Another fantastic video report :clap: , I really enjoy watching these , after watching your Ben More in winter video I made a point of saving this Munro for the winter, and I climbed it last week in the sunshine and the snow, amazing views, :D

Ah - the Ben More video was a highlight from last winter - the only really good day I managed to get out in:) Hope you liked it and glad you had a good time up the mountains - its a belter when the weathers good :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Beaner001 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 am

Superb Murray, very inspirational trip report and top notch pictures. I'd love to be able to follow suite one day :D :wink:
Many thanks for posting I really enjoyed that :clap:
Cheers
Matthew
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:05 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:Excellent photos, real classics. My DSLR shuts down when the temperature drops, did you have any such problems with your cameras?

Hi Caberfeidh, Thanks :)
I have annex 7 and as you can see from the aurora shots there was a problem - the lens froze! I had been waiting for the cloud to clear for about 45m-60 mins, and then rushed to take the shots without checking!! a layer of ice had covered the filter :(
My first battery had also packed in rather quickly as darkness fell and the temperature dropped, so when I wasn't shootong I took the battery out of the camera and suck I in my glove to keep it warm. I them also put the camera inside my jacket. The battery lasted until the end of the trip so this may have helped.
My other cameras batteries died quickly in cold too but they were taking videos as well maybe eating up more energy?
ATB for 2015.Murray

I found the camera could not cope with low temperatures, and took to storing it inside my coat, taking photos quickly and tucking away in the warmth again. I think the camera's signal that the battery is running low is just what it does when too cold, if it is warmed up again it seems to work ok.http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2010/01/08/camera-tips-for-cold-weather-photography/
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Wanderlust7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:07 am

Murray well done you, the best pictures I have seen on this site, quite something indeed. Really enjoyed your report too.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:18 am

Fantastic story, fantastic place. We visited the very same spot on Saturday, though only for a short day's walk. I think it's one of the best viewpoints in Scotland and not only because of The Shepherd. I loved the beautiful panorama of Mamores, with Nevis in the middle. A bit jealous about the aurora - I never managed to catch one :wink:

I see I was not the only person to bleed out three sets of batteries. It was cold and pretty windy on Saturday... The smaller compact camera refused to work after maybe 200m of climbing, Kevin's big Finepix went on strike on the way down. The next day I tucked the small one inside my jacket just to keep it warm, it helped a bit but it still died after a couple of hours. Maybe I don't generate enough heat :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby 2manyYorkies » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Fantastic post, and professional photography skills on show, very jealous!
What sort of tripod do you use? I guess you're cameras are on the light side but summits are windy places and even the carbon ones will contribute significantly to your pack weight?
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland