walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wander back on my first hill

A wander back on my first hill

Postby mcbboyd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:15 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall an t-Slamain

Date walked: 27/12/2014

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall an t-Slamain was the first hill I ever climbed. It would be, we lived right at the bottom of it! And my parents still do. It was probably also the second, third and fourth hill I climbed. I can't remember how old I was on that first trip, but it was certainly during my early primary school years. We went for a family walk up the hill and I remember that even the family cat followed us the whole way (to this day, I'm pretty sure that cat thought it was actually a dog).

The hill is easily spotted from Fort William, sitting right on the shore at the other side Loch Linnhe. As it's only a small hill, and on the other side of the loch, it makes for a very quiet walk with the crowds heading for the higher, more challenging slopes of the area.

ImageMeall an t-Slamain viewed from Solider's Bridge, near Fort William by mcbboyd, on Flickr

I've been half way up this hill more times than I can count, mostly doing a quick trip up to the trig point and back to walk the dog when I visit home. I even wrote my wedding speech whilst perched on a stone, on a scorcher of a day, half way up this hill.

So, as I was back home visiting the family for Christmas, and with both the dog and myself in need of a good walk, I decided to yet again take a trip up to the top and, for a change, descend down into Stronchreggan and walk back around the quiet single-track road. Continuing around to Stob Coire a'Chearchail was also a very tempting option (and with the weather today would've been glorious) but I thought I'd be pushing my luck being out for that long today, and I don't think the dog would've managed it.

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off from the house after a quick breakfast and before the sun had risen above the hills, initially walking along the road to join the track that goes up to the masts and trig point from Achaphubuil. The track has recently been re-done by the looks of things and is a bit of a scar at present. However, I'm sure it will weather in over the coming months and years. It makes for easy going at the start, with only a couple of steep sections to warm the legs on a cold morning. As we walked our way up, the first glimpse of sunlight made an appearance, lighting the hills on the opposite side of Loch Eil. It looks like the weather was on my side today.

ImageThe sun starts to make an appearance, just starting to light Streap by mcbboyd, on Flickr

Upon reaching the masts, the hills on the North side of Loch Eil and up towards Glenfinnan were really starting to come alive in the light.

ImageLoch Eil and Glenfinnan hills in the morning light by mcbboyd, on Flickr

One of the best things about a walk on this hill are the great views of Ben Nevis. It had remained shrouded in cloud so far, but as I started to climb up from the trig point towards the summit it started to reveal itself, along with some fantastic views to the south and east, along Loch Linnhe.

ImageBen Nevis with its hat on by mcbboyd, on Flickr

ImageLooking southeast whilst still climbing by mcbboyd, on Flickr

There's no track after the trig point, but the ground was pretty firm with the frosty conditions, and only a dusting of snow made for some easy walking up to the top.

ImageApproaching summit of Meall an t-Slamain by mcbboyd, on Flickr

Soon enough we'd reached cairn at the top, and I stopped for a while to take in the views.

ImageClouds over Ben Nevis by mcbboyd, on Flickr

ImageLooking South, with Stob Coire a'Chearcaill on the right by mcbboyd, on Flickr

ImageLooking Southwards at hills on North side of Loch Linnhe by mcbboyd, on Flickr

ImageThe Cairn and The Ben by mcbboyd, on Flickr

Again, was very tempted at this point to carry on over to Stob Coire a'Chearchail... but, another day. That's another hill I've walked around a fair number of times with my dad and grandad when I was younger, but don't think I ever went to the top. I'll put that right in 2015. For now I set off northwards from the summit and descended down roughly in the direction of Beul a' Mhaim and picked up the stream that flows down to join Stronchreggan river. I may not have got the chance to climb Stob Coire a'Chearchail, but at least there were some fantastic views of it throughout the walk.

ImageStob Coire a'Chearcaill by mcbboyd, on Flickr

ImageStob Coire a'Chearcaill viewed as descending into Stronchreggan by mcbboyd, on Flickr

At this stage I think the poor dog had had enough. After running around all over the place for most of the trip, it now satisfied itself slowly plodding along just in front of me. Probably best we didn't head further uphill.

ImageMy companion today by mcbboyd, on Flickr

We joined the track that runs alongside the Stronchreggan river, admiring some more great views towards Ben Nevis, before meeting up with the road and stomping our way back to the start on tarmac.

ImageBen Nevis from Stronchreggan by mcbboyd, on Flickr

This route could be easily done from Fort William by catching the passenger ferry over. Indeed, if timed right you can stop for some tea and cake at Treslaig hall near the end of your walk before boarding the ferry back to town.

As always, it was great to re-visit this hill. It may only be a Sub2K, but is certainly a favourite of mine.
Last edited by mcbboyd on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcbboyd
Wanderer

Munros:55   Corbetts:13
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:28

Re: A wander on my first hill

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Might not be that high but looks a great viewpoint ! - cracking set of photos too - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: A wander back on my first hill

Postby litljortindan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:49 am

Like those pictures with the cloud just around and below you.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland