walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Wirren

Hill of Wirren

Postby dwaugh » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Hill of Wirren

Date walked: 04/01/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 880m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back home from after a festive season with the family, means its time to burn off the mince pies. Come to think of it though, I think I only had the one. Realised that I didn't have a map to bag this most Easterly Graham, but the weather seemed settled and the route was a track right to the top so I took the risk - it boded well when immediately I had to ask directions so I could make it off the farm track and into the hills.

Wind was fairly significant, so I stopped to put on my waterproof as a wind break. Notice this skull looking right up at me from the heather.

All tracks seemed to lead up to the same place - Hill of Wirren East

Beautiful views to the south west, bigger and badder mountains with more snow. The wind was howling at this point, and I was glad for the excellent mountain-worthy hood on my jacket.

Hit Hill of Wirren East - unremarkable.

I set off across the moors on frozen peat, thinking that I could straight-line it to the top. I found the snow a bit too deep for my trail-running shoes so dropped down a small gully back onto the track (getting loads more snow down my feet in the process). Note to self: buy some fell running gaiters.

As described by others, I found the trig point with its moat of deep deep peat, fortunately iced over. Looked at the watch - looking to be a (leisurely) approx. 3 hr round run.

Saw lots of white hares bounding about. Like myself they seem content to follow the easy-going tracks up here.

Looking North on the way home. Can see Clachnaben and Strathfinella hill from here.

Run down was straight forward enough, but a round route would have been nice. Feel the body defrosting as I drop below the icy wind.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

dwaugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:69   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland