walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich - Loch Lomond

Ben Vorlich - Loch Lomond

Postby Oldman » Sun May 23, 2010 6:25 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 14/05/2010

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My last decent hill walk was in October 2009. Unfortunately I'm and 18 year old trapped in a nearly 69 year old body and I'm not as fit as I would like to be. However the lure of the mountain is too strong and so on Friday 14th May 2010 my daughter and I decided that we would attempt Ben Vorlich. The weather forecast was good (and in the event accurate) and so we carefully researched our proposed walk - at my age you can't be too careful! We left the car park at Inveruglas at 9.15AM and arrived at the two little cairns at 10.05AM. The path looked quite steep with the potential for wet feet so we backtracked a couple of hundred yards down the road to about half way between two pylons where the terrain looked quite dry - we went to school on Davidsda's report (thanks Davidsda). We calculated that if we cut up the hill diagonally on a NE'ly heading we would intersect the path at about 370m. This would minimise the gradient and hopefully keep our feet dry. As we set off we were cheered by the call of a distant cookoo in the woods below A'Chrois. Later on there was another more plaintif call, this time from the daughter - "Dad, do you have any blister plasters?". Of course I had. The youth these days!! As anticipated we joined the path about the calculated height with dry feet after a very pleasant walk on good terrain. From then it was a doddle - no need to navigate, just follow the path which was sometimes steep but never hands on. By the time you get to any height at all the views open up and you are rewarded with amazing vistas. The Arrocher Alps and Loch Lomond being the highlight for me although the views in every direction are fantastic. With the old unfit legs suffering a bit we made frequent stops to breath, rest, drink water, nibble chocolate, look at the views and take pictures. We had lunch just short of the top 'cause we thought it might be a bit breezy at the top. Great views from our lunch spot. We reached the top about 1PM in splendid isolation and took a few pictures. Although we hadn't seen another walker all day, suddenly we had company. Isn't it funny how you think you actually own the mountain you've just climbed. No doubt the other walker was thinking the same way and being a decent chap he took a picture of us at the cairn. The top was magical but we had to go home taking a few pics as we went. It was on the way down that it struck - CRAMP - what a bugger! Both thighs got it and so the emergency salt supplies were consumed - this sorted the problem but only temporarily as it kept attacking. After frequent stops we got to the bottom and onto the road which was blessed relief. We made the mistake of following the path all the way instead of retracing our steps down the easier and less steep terrain. The steepness of the final bit of the path induced several cramps. Not to worry I got over it and as I get fitter the problem will go away. We got back to the car at 4PM which was not bad for an old yin! It's not a race is it? Anyway it was a fabulous day on a fabulous mountain with just enough whispy cloud to enhance the atmosphere without any threat of adverse weather. Pity about the pylons but they do carry Green Power and I can't complain at that.
By the Way, to Walk Highlands a big thank you for your walk descriptions. Also to all who submit reports of their walks. As well as being entertaining I use them all the time for information when researching walks and find them a great help. Thank you all and keep walking.
Attachments
magic!.jpg
What a Scene!!!
Loch Lomond.jpg
Loch Lomond
181.JPG
Daughter took this one
conquered!.jpg
made it
towards Ben Lomond.jpg
whispy cloud towards Loch Lomond
Ben Vorlich Loch Sloy 034.jpg
just keep going
Ben Vorlich Loch Sloy 020.jpg
easy to follow
164.JPG
that way. The path must be close.
going good but steep.jpg
Good going
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Re: Ben Vorlich - Loch Lomond

Postby siobhan_flute » Sun May 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Great walk, thanks Dad (or Oldman as you like to call yourself!!!)
siobhan_flute
Ambler

Munros:42   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1

Postby Jock McJock » Mon May 24, 2010 7:55 am

Liked that report Oldman. I done this one about a month ago and there was still some snow about. Looks quite different in your pics from when I was there. Always amazes me how the hills change so much from month to month and look really different. Liked your idea of cutting the hill diagonally at the start too. The first bit from the wee cairn is really steep and is very boggy. Its a hard slog but the when those views open up it's worth it. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 8:56 am

Great report old man. Its quite a slog up this hill once you leave the tarmac. :lol: As for the cramps, that was clever of you to take salt with you but its a nightmare when it keeps returning on the steep bits :lol: Well done :D
monty

Postby Oldman » Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 am

What have I done wrong - can't seem to get the better of computers - the pics on my report have to be viewed in reverse order even though I was careful to put them in the correct order. Need a computer course I think!

Oldman
Oldman
Bird-watcher

Postby monty » Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 am

hi,
when you write the report and add photos you can do one or two things.

1. Add them in the reverse order you want them to be viewed.
2. place your cursor in the text box at the place you wishh a photo to display and then goto the photo and click the "place inline " button.

You can edit your report and do the above if you wish. :D
monty

Postby kjudge6 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi, I did this Munro later in the day.
Weather has been great recently, so even with the Edinburgh marathon looming the next day I couldn't not go out!!!
Great views of surrounding Munros, Vane, Ime, Nairnan and Lomond.
Attachments
068.JPG
017.JPG
069.JPG
kjudge6
Stravaiging

Munros:134   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland