walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby Scotshiker » Sun May 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 29/07/2009

Time taken: 10 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started hike around 12.30 as we had to go into Fort William to get some new gear(took longer than it was meant to (LOL)). We parked car in Vistor Centre carpark, headed off over Nevis bridge and up Meall an t-Suidle, the path was unbelievably busy it was shocking to see so many people from so many different countries on it. The weather was good when we set off but as we ascended it soon changed and became cloudy,cold and My Bud and me well over-estimated who much gear/food/water to take up, i had in my rucksack, a bistro gas stove(Bulky) & Spare gas, 4litres of water & a couple of juice, loads of food, spare clothing etc & all my camera gear. When we were further up on Carn Dearg the clouds came in and visiblity was reduced but was worse near Nevis summit so we didn't hang about long as the time was just after 7pm. We desended as quickly as possible and was on the lower path of Meall an t-Suidle when it was dark(just as well i was carrying a headlamp and torches) it was definately an experiance and enjoyable (Next day (LOL)) but the wrong way to go up a mountain, wasted to much time, started wrong time,carrying to much gear on the ascend/descend for it, not enough food at the right times, stress of taking our kids up on our 1st mountain together but our girls were hooked on it and have done a few more since with proper planning etc.
Ready to Climb Ben Nevis.jpg
Us Adventures with Carn Dearg behind.jpg
camp site from Meall an t-Suidle 2.jpg
IMG_0587.jpg
Carn Dearg Path looking down to Loch on Carn Dearg looking down to Loch.jpg
Derek N Charlotte ascending Carn Dearg 2.jpg
Havin a rest near summit of Ben Nevis.jpg
Clouds coming in on Carn Dearg.jpg
GULLY of Nevis 1.jpg
GULLY of Nevis with snow.jpg
Ben Nevis Hut.jpg
Ben Nevis ruin.jpg
North Face (as close as DARE) 2.jpg
Ben Nevis Summit YIPPEE.jpg
178.jpg
Last edited by Scotshiker on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scotshiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:34   
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby kerrera » Sun May 23, 2010 10:06 pm

Scotshiker wrote:We started hike around 12.30 as we had to go into Fort William to get some new gear(took longer than it was meant to (LOL)). We parked car in Vistor Centre carpark, headed off over Nevis bridge and up Meall an t-Suidle, the path was unbelievably busy it was shocking to see so many people from so many different countries on it. The weather was good when we set off but as we ascended it soon changed and became cloudy,cold and My Bud and me well over-estimated who much gear/food/water to take up, i had in my rucksack, a bistro gas stove(Bulky) & Spare gas, 4litres of water & a couple of juice, loads of food, spare clothing etc & all my camera gear. When we were further up on Carn Dearg the clouds came in and visiblity was reduced but was worse near Nevis summit so we didn't hang about long as the time was just after 7pm. We desended as quickly as possible and was on the lower path of Meall an t-Suidle when it was dark(just as well i was carrying a headlamp and torches) it was definately an experiance and enjoyable (Next day (LOL)) but the wrong way to go up a mountain, wasted to much time, started wrong time,carrying to much gear on the ascend/descend for it, not enough food at the right times, stress of taking our kids up on our 1st mountain together but our girls were hooked on it and have done a few more since with proper planning etc.

Now that's what I call safe. Good luck next time. You descended the lower path from Meall an t-Suidle? Is that the one to the yh?
kerrera
Backpacker

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland